Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

Every working Mom in America has the same story it is a juggling act, for sure. Having a private chef is not the answer unless they are handcuffed to you and are with you 24/7. The day hasn't come that I couldn't slip in a Snickers Bar or a bag of chips from the vending machine at work.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-17-2010 at 10:25 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 290 / 225 /170?

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
DUDE! I just signed up as a mom on Amazon, added diapers to subscribe and save... and viola! Diapers are cheaper than BJ's and delivered free! Whoo hoo!

Hmmm... what else can I do in make my life easier...

I have heard that Peapod.com isn't a great way to buy fresh produce. Can anyone confirm/deny?
AWESOME! I'm glad I had an idea that you can use!

As far as food goes, I don't know if I'd buy fresh produce online, but that's up to you. I wouldn't myself because I'm too damn picky.
The buying a box from a CSA does sound interesting though....

I do have a few dry goods that I order from Vitacost - Oatmeals, teas, popcorn, almond butter. They have a decent selection of natural and organic groceries, and they ship for a flat $4.99. I *think* you can set up automatic shipments too, but I'm not sure about that as I never have...

Last edited by Tinky; 11-17-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #18  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
The buying a box from a CSA does sound interesting though....
I heard about it from a friend of mine. I have known others who have done it but as the farmer's markets are starting to dry up here and even grocery stores that try to focus on local are importing more from other parts of the country.

It makes sense to me though, if you can go to the local farms in the area and farms throughout the US, buy in bulk, rent a warehouse (much cheaper than a store) and then sell to interested consumers, you reduce the cost. If the internet has taught us anything it is that B&M stores have difficulty keeping up with stores that are completely online. If you eliminate the B&M, your overhead is much cheaper.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:29 PM   #19  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Lol! I did a search on CSA's in my area. There are two in my county. One of which requires 2 hours a week of work on the farm. Can you see it now? Me finding 2 hours to go pick my own veggies weekly. The other one, I would have to go pick up veggies weekly, but I would get to pick out what I wanted based on what's available. I think I might look into this for next year... Now that November is nearly over, there is no more fresh produce in the area.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 12:58 PM   #20  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

I swear you just described my life!!! I also have a toddler, work (part time out of the home, part time at nights after she sleeps). It's just so hard to cook well while keeping up with everything else in life. I can tell you some things that I do that help (but a cook would be the perfect solution!!!)

-Implementing more Montessori-esque ideas into our household. DD now has a low shelf where all her snacks,plates, cups are kept so she feeds herself in between meals. We've cleared out many of her toys so the ones she does have are more accessible and she's more apt to play independently. We've also started incorporating her in helping with food prep. I've been showing her how to peel potatoes and wash dishes (she's definitely not there but she has fun with it! and it buys me more time in the kitchen).

-I figured out a nice trick last night when I wanted to watch the Biggest Loser but I still needed to work out. I got out my stepstool (I was inspired by that particular episode) and hand weights and just did steps with arm workouts for about 30 minutes while watching the show. We also have a jogging stroller but DD is becoming less and less of a fan.

-Taco salad is my go to meal. We buy baby spinach rather than lettuce so no cutting. Then premade salsa (the chunky kind where you can still see the veggies). I try and always keep black beans on hand (I make them in the crockpot). Then I just add a scope of low fat sour cream and cheese. Oh, and we always have avocados that's really the only thing I have to cute to make it!

-COFFEE. I seriously drink to much but it's the only way. I skip the sugar/artificial sweetener and just drink it with a bit of fat free half and half.

-As much as possible we try and do errands with DD and make it an outing at the same time. For instance,if we have to go to the bank we walk there so she gets exercise in and then I get my errand done too. If you stop and check out the leaves and passing airplanes it can be just as fun for toddlers as preplanned activities!

But lots of to you. It is soooo hard! I just keep kicking myself for gaining so much baby weight because it's way harder to get it off now with everything going on. Prepregnancy I was only 20lbs from my idea weight and I set myself so much farther back due to my overeating. Now I have to struggle to get rid of every single pound.
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #21  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCraver View Post
Lol! I did a search on CSA's in my area. There are two in my county. One of which requires 2 hours a week of work on the farm. Can you see it now? Me finding 2 hours to go pick my own veggies weekly. The other one, I would have to go pick up veggies weekly, but I would get to pick out what I wanted based on what's available. I think I might look into this for next year... Now that November is nearly over, there is no more fresh produce in the area.
Some of the delivery ones aren't called CSAs, some are called produce delivery or similar.

I found a listing of various ones in CT -
http://www.greenling.com/delivery_services?state=CT

Now they may or may not delivery to your area but you might find something.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:13 PM   #22  
Starting again Jan. 2013

S/C/G: 223/see ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

If I am making a dinner that freezes well I will double or triple the amount I make. Then I have a dinner or 2 in the freezer for days I don't feel like cooking.

AND YES! CROCKPOT! I love my crockpot, I load it up in the morning and a great dinner is ready when my hubby gets home from work. With this if you make chicken or beef the leftovers make great chicken and noodles or beef vegetable soup the next night with very little effort.
gvntofly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:43 PM   #23  
Child of Har, 6rayedstar

S/C/G: 361/200/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
I really don't think that the personal chef thing is the secret to weight loss - just ask Oprah .

I too used to wish for a personal chef, and than I realized I had one - ME. I was cooking anyway, wasn't I? Might as well make it healthy foods.

For me, and this is not the case with every one, but for me, it's VERY important that I eat delicious, tasty foods, so I plan, shop, chop, cut, dice and cook.

But there are other *easier* foods out there. Cottage cheese, veggie burgers, frozen veggies. Baked fish and chicken doesn't take all that long.

For me, it also came to be that I made *this* a tippy, tippy, TOP priority. When you come to realize that there can be ZERO compromising on your health, ZERO, you some how find the time. Always. No matter what. But you do have to come to the realization that it is worthy of each and every second of time that is spent on it.
I love everyone's responses, but I have to give Ms Rockinrobin, her due. I agree that making this project top priority is what has helped me become successful.

I literally make all sorts of schedule adjustments to fit exercise in. I set aside afternoon a week (Sunday) to chop, blend, measure out, cook and store ALL my meals and snacks for the week. I decided to list all the "equipment I needed": Tupperware, a book bag for my gym stuff, sandwich bags for snacks, vitamin supplements etc, and made sure to buy these things en mass. Yep. this is my top priority
Harsdottir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 02:40 PM   #24  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I totally feel you on this issue. It looks a lot like my life. But on the other hand you could look at it another way. My mom has diabetes and heart disease and high cholesterol and high blood pressure and some other stuff that is partly due to heredity and a lot due to lifestyle (she didn't even try to counter balance the genes she has with a healthy lifestyle). The time you spend on the healthier foods cooking and prepping could be taken up with trips to the doc because you have a medical condition that needs to be monitored closely, blood draws, time at the pharmacy waiting for your daily meds, time laying down because you're blood sugar is up or down etc, or you are just too tired from chronic medical issues to deal with the physical requirements of your life.

Either way your day will be packed and you'll be tired at the end of it, but one of those situations will give you more, high quality time with your son and make you feel like your life is fuller.

Of course, some of my strategy has been to relax some of the standards I have for myself. My house doesn't have to be spotless, just clean and mostly tidy. Kids' toys are only picked up towards the end of the day since they will just pull out more throughout the day. I spend more money on groceries some times to get some healthier frozen meals, foods, that I call pull out if running late or am exhausted instead of ordering a pizza. I prepare some ingredients ahead of time that can be frozen and used later in various meals. I create some meals that I can use the leftovers for another meal the next night. That way it's not the same meal, but the cooking time is negligible.
ebb&flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvntofly View Post
If I am making a dinner that freezes well I will double or triple the amount I make. Then I have a dinner or 2 in the freezer for days I don't feel like cooking.

AND YES! CROCKPOT! I love my crockpot, I load it up in the morning and a great dinner is ready when my hubby gets home from work. With this if you make chicken or beef the leftovers make great chicken and noodles or beef vegetable soup the next night with very little effort.
Expanding on the freezer idea...

The freezer is my weight loss friend! I routinely make soups and casseroles, purposely planning to have leftovers. Then I freeze them into individually
portioned meals in those throw away ziplock containers. I mark the date, the calories and fat. Voilą! My own, yummy, homemade pre-portioned meals for lunches or dinners when there is no time to cook.

I also like to prep for the week by pre-chopping veggies, etc.

Another idea is maybe to alternate one more difficult meal with an easy one the next day. For example, a more difficult casserole on Tuesday, then grilled turkey sammies on Weds? Giving yourself a little break now and then

Last edited by kellost; 11-21-2010 at 06:02 PM.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote