Lunch at 3 instead of Noon

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I am currious if anyone has weird eating times that they find work better than "normal" eating times??

I have a fairly big breakfast. Then I get peckish around 10:30, so I have a snack (about 150 cals). The last two days I have then had a second snack around 1 or so (1/2C LF cottage cheese and a fruit) Then off to the gym from 2 to 3. Then lunch after the gym. So I am not eating lunch until 3 or so. BUT then, I am not going home STARVING like I am if I have lunch at noon and then a little snack after the gym. Then, I am able to eat a sensable dinner and my evening snack without feeling like I am starving myself.
  • My favorite time to eat dinner is 4:30. That's the most hungry part of my day. I really hate that it doesn't work into family life.
  • I eat breakfast at 10, usually lunch at 2 and dinner is around 8. I eat a couple snacks as well but those are generally my eating times.
  • I work second shift so my eating times may be a little different.

I do a small breakfast (protein shake after my workout) around 9am and then a large lunch around 11:30 or so. Then I have a snack at about 4 and dinner around 8.
  • When I eat depends on what day it is, because I have different school/work schedules everyday, but some days I'll eat breakfast around 10-11, lunch at 4, snack at 7, dinner at 10. Other days it's breakfast at 8, lunch at 1, snack at 4, dinner at 7-8.
  • I eat around my class schedule, so one semester that might mean eating lunch at 4 and the next semester it means eating dinner at 8 or 9. I have to be flexible about that stuff
  • I usually eat breakfast at 8-9AM, then lunch around 12 or 2, then dinner around 5-6. and snacks whenever i want.
  • I try to push lunch till 1:30 or 2 so I'm not so famished at night.
  • My work shifts always start at 5 am so my breakfast is around 4:30am. Then I have a snack around 9am and lunch at 11am. I go home at 2pm and have another small snack around that time. Dinner for me is usually around 6ish.
    Of course, this whole routine changes on my days off
  • I'm not super hungry in the morning and I'm not an early riser so I don't eat breakfast until 9:30 or 10. I usually have a snack at 12, then I eat lunch at 2. Snack at 4, dinner at 6ish. A snack around 8.
  • Haha, people who see my posts pop up are probably tired of reading my spheel about this.

I tried the 5-6 mini meals for about six weeks which was mental torture for me. I was food obsessed, never hungry but never satisfied, always watching the clock for my next little meal. I even tried three solid squares, breakfast lunch and dinner, everyday. That was a little better, but I don't like eating in the morning and I love eating in the evening. AND, I like eating a lot of food at one time, even if that means not eating at all for several hours. I literally feel ill if I eat in the morning, I have no desire to eat anything until at least noonish, and I love to eat in the evenings and go to bed feeling full. Once I threw all the typical diet advice in the garbage and started listening to myself, I found a plan that I feel happy to maintain for the rest of forever.

I eat nothing in the morning, drink exactly one cup of coffee with less than 1/4 cup of skim milk and a sweet n' low packet after my walk right after I wake up, and that's it.

I eat "lunch" which is usually a huge bowl of oatmeal with either pure pumpkin or yogurt mixed in (about 300 cal) at around 1-3pm.

I prefer to eat dinner as late as I can. Usually around 7pm. This is a big dinner, and generally "normal" food. As in not what one would consider diet food. A big plate of whatever I made for my fiance and I. Sometimes as much as 750-800 calories.

After dinner, I snack my way up to my calorie limit for the day. I stay between 1300-1800/day and almost always have at least 300 cal of snacks after dinner. I love munching while watching a show or movie in the evenings and I've had to arrange my eating schedule so that I can do so guilt free.
  • I eat 3 solid meals a day, no snacking. It's just what works well for me. I usually eat breakfast at 7:30, lunch at 1:00-2:00, then dinner often isn't until 7:00 or so once I get home from work and walk my dog. It usually leaves about 5 hours in between eating, but as long as I keep thing balanced, I don't get hungry.

mkendrick - I can't do the "mini" meals either. I've tried, I feel like I am constantly preparing food, eating food, or cleaning up, but yet I never felt full and satisfied. I am better with 3 substantial meals with long breaks in between.
  • On a day when I'm in school I get up at 6 and then head into school without eating but I take breakfast with me and eat it at about 9 just before my classes start. Then I finish at 1, get back home at about half 3 and have lunch, then eat dinner at about 7-8.

It works best for me to have dinner as late as I can because I like to be in bed, even if I'm still awake and just browsing the internet, when I get hungry because even being hungry won't get me out of bed and downstairs (in the dark!) to the kitchen. If I eat early then I'm hungry before I go to bed and that's when I usually end up snacking and going over my calories for the day.
  • Well, my meal times are unusual because I'm on an unusual schedule in general. I eat breakfast at 3-5 PM, lunch at 12-3 AM, and dinner at approximately 4-5 AM. Snacks in between every meal. It works just fine for me, I just need to adjust meal spacing for the hours I'm awake. (I do occasionally get on a bit of a more "normal" daylight schedule, but I don't prefer it.)
  • Oh good! I am glad to see everyone with all different times! I thought I was nuts switching my lunch to 3 - 4 in the afternoon. It was 4 today. Then I just ate dinner at 8pm. I am having a drink (hot cider + brandy) then off to bed. The late lunch thing has been working out SUPER well. I used to be SO HUNGRY in the evenings, which didn't help... I would come home from work, be busy with my son, get him to bed and just start eating and eating... Now I am just starting to get hungry when I am able to sit and relax and enjoy my dinner.

Yeah... I don't do mini meals, either. And for the same reasons that mkendrick gives. Its like I am never starving, but never really satisfied. I have to feel satiated at least a couple times a day. ESPECIALLY with working out. I like to feel like my body is getting the fuel it needs.

I am really feelin' good (maybe the brandy?) but the last few days a few more things clicked into place and I feel like I am a couple steps closer to normal eating habits and a healthy weight. I even stopped at the grocery store today, passed by candy and such with out a thought... and headed to the veggies!! I was excited! They had a good price on asparagus! And I FINALLY found jicama. Then I came home and made some "kale chips".

sorry... rambling over.