Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 129.4/ticker/115

Height: 4'11''

OooHh Tinky, me too! The phone always gets turned off at bedtime... learned that lesson the hard way.

fatmad
-- I'd love to stay on the "night" schedule, but I only work 3 nights a week, so it doesn't make the most sense for me. I just have to work on finding a way to transition into my days off with a bit less eating, or by eating foods that are less caloric. You're completely right, though; women try to squish too many activities, responsibilities, and obligations into too little time. Hmph!

My plan has been working ok so far. I've been counting my calories midnight to midnight, and my focus is more on those tallies and overall activity per week, as opposed to meticulous, daily morning-night counts.

I also found some AWESOME veggie recipes to help me with having snacks throughout the night that are low on calories but actually have substance.

Scale went back up a bit today, but overall still trending down. Will keep you all posted!

Last edited by FatPantsSkinnyJeans; 11-17-2010 at 11:48 AM.
FatPantsSkinnyJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 290 / 225 /170?

Height: 5'9"

Bump!

How is this going for you, BTW?

Last edited by Tinky; 12-28-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:09 PM   #18  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Bump!

How is this going for you, BTW?
Hangin' in there.... !
Old 12-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 324/283/260

Height: 5'7''

I just switched to night shift at the beginning of this month and havent lost a pound since lol but I think that is mainly due to the holidays.
katkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM   #20  
Living and Learning

S/C/G: 304/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 3"

I will be starting the night shift in mid january. I am not impressed with the whole situation but I am determined to make the best of it! I have read through the thread and like the ideas mentioned. I know if I go in prepared before I start that it will be alot easier.
gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:47 PM   #21  

Hey! I'm actually on my way to work now, but I figured I'd just give you an update on my progress...

Back in October, I started counting calories midnight to midnight. I am officially down 5 lbs from when I started.

I'm still "detoxing" if you will, from all of my indulgences over the xmas weekend, but so far it's a plan that works for me.

It's a very slow weight loss, especially considering I'm super short... but I'm getting there!

Pointers:
-Drink lots of water or Hot tea when the urge to snack hits
-Bring your food every day and count it out before you pack it so there's no question of how many calories you ingest
-Avoid break room snacks by focusing on doing your work perfectly and to the fullest extent (this works for me for about 5-7 minutes and then I'm fixating on the chocolate again, hahaha)
-Plan out a snack for when you get home, so that you don't binge snack before bed. That way you can come home, take away the hunger, have time to digest, and sleep well.

I'll let ya know how my night goes tonight, if there's a free moment!

xoxo
FPSJ
Old 12-31-2010, 07:01 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 189/138.0/130

Height: 5'6"

Oh I'm so glad I'm not alone on this shift. I work on call as a police/EMS dispatcher, and the shift that needs the most coverage is Graves. Sometimes not even full 930pm-730am, they bring me in for 3am-730am! and then two days later I'm on dayshift from 730-530pm. My circadian rhythm has been beaten into submission. I put on 30lbs in two years of this plus being a college student. That 30 is now gone through a lot of fit-in workouts and calorie management.

What I did/am doing on graves:
1. Bring pre-counted foods to work, including snacks to be on hand if you need them. (I bring lean cuisine, since my cooking skills are limited and keep 100-cal bags of popcorn in the break room for snack time.)
2. Drink tea and water when hungry between scheduled meals. I drink 3 cups of tea on average, they have the added bonus of keeping me warm when its cold at work.
3. I eat my last meal of the night around 3-4 in the morning. This way when I get off at 730, I'm not yet ravenous as I try to eat every 4 hours. When I get home, if I'm quite hungry, I'll have half of a protein shake (1 scoop to 6oz H2O) which is filling and evens out my sugars enough to get me asleep.

I have trouble hitting the gym hard when I know I've got 10 hours of fighting to stay awake ahead of me. Instead I opt for weight training over cardio on shift days and cardio when I have days off, or after my last shift before I go home. The sedentary nature of my work also means I have to eat less calories on work days.
fromthebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:21 PM   #23  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw160/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

FOr those who can: can you request long term night shifts? When I was nursing, I refused to work days, if I was going to work nights. The powers-that-be didn't like it too much, but I told them I would be available for nights all thru that time, but not days. Worked better. Its the irregularity that makes it worse. Even if only doing a few nights a week, you could at least not go to be before 3-4 am and get up at noon on days off so you aren't thrown off too much.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #24  
Shifty Werewolf

S/C/G: 265/196/150

Height: 5'5"

Yeah, Fatmad is right - try to get them have you just on the overnight shifts. Switching back and forth is really hard on your body. I do switch back on my days off but then I'm setting my own schedule (which involves lots of naps!).

And katkitten, do you count calories? It's easy for calories and especially junk carbs to sneak up on you during the overnights. (boy do I know this from years of experience!)
Vladadog is offline   Reply With Quote