Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-02-2010, 07:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 231/166/140

Height: 5 ft 8

Default MOTHER OF GOD this is going to take forever isn't it?

So you guys might find this shocking, but I am a quick satisfaction kind of gal. As such, I am a bit discouraged by the amount of weight that I need to lose.

Any advice on psyching myself up for the long haul? I have heard short term goal setting works. So what, weekly loss of 1-3 lbs and just focus on the weekly goals, rather than the UNGODLY prospect of doing this till.the.end.of.time?

Any thoughts from the long haul/ old school crowd?

The first person to say "but Slayrick it is a lifestyle change" gets hurt.

I understand this is a lifestyle change and I am working on it, but how to keep myself motivated, focused, stoked is the real question.

Cheers!
slayrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #2  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Slayrick, instead of focusing on the "long haul", which can be overwhelming. Try to focus on how good you are feeling right now. Eating well, sleeping plenty and exercising makes you feel so good! My body gets a buzz out of getting treated well! Goofy I know, but sometimes that is what it takes. One day, one choice at a time...
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:02 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

I focused on 5 pound goals and rewarded myself with non-food rewards when I hit them. For example, when I hit 190, I got a pedicure, at 185 I got a new pair of shoes, 180, some new makeup, etc...
I got rewarded periodically for my hard work, and I earned them, which made it even better.
Just my two cents.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I just answered your other thread... take a look at it.

If you ask me, it doesn't take all THAT long. Really it doesn't. The human body is AMAZING. What I put it through for all these years, decades in fact, and then in a less than a year I completely reversed it.

The key to consistent, steady *fast* weight loss is STICKING with your plan, day in and day out. It's not for everyone, but it's what I chose. So if it's truly *faster* weight loss that you're after - stick with that plan of yours.

You mentioned motivation, I hate to tell you , this ain't about motivation my friend, it's about - commitment. Motivation is not lasting and never seems to be around when the pizza and beer are floating around - but commitment - the absolute determination and desire to *do this*, the absolute decision to do this once and for all, permanently and NO MATTER WHAT - that's what you need.

I also urge you to find the joy in this, not the dread. Make this delightful, pleasant, fun, an adventure and then it will be enjoyable to stick with. Don't dread these changes that have to occur - embrace them. Fall in love with this healthy way of life so that it's no burden to adhere to. Become passionate about it.

Because really, eating well, exercising, being a healthy weight is nothing to fear and loathe. Remaining overweight IS.

You also must use this time as time to get your plan down pat. Make it your own. Customize it, tweak it. Know it inside and out. Find strategies and skills to take you through all situations and events. Find healthy foods to love, exercise that you enjoy.

This journey is a wonderful time of self discovery and growth. Enjoy the heck out of it. I surely did.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #5  

Thanks all. Keep the advice coming! It is appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited by slayrick; 11-02-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/149

Height: 5'6"

I'm not sure which one of you ladies I got this from but it stuck with me and I'm going to pass it forward:

"I can't lose 100 lbs...but maybe I can lose 5 lbs 20 times!"

That one small phrase that I got from someone on this site has stuck with me...and it really makes a difference. How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!

Last edited by Iianae; 11-02-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Iianae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:11 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayrick View Post
Thanks all. Keep the advice coming! It is appreciated.

Cheers!
We posted at the same exact time, my post being right above yours; I hope you saw it.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #8  

WORD! Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks ladies.

Rockin' Robin you are my new Yoda. Well said, Amen

Now I just need to get my generally sarcastic and snarky self on board.

Cheers
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

You have received some great advice. I personally set short term goals. 10 pounds at a time and they do add up. Stepping on the scale and seeing a loss os a great motivator for me.

Last edited by bargoo; 11-02-2010 at 08:58 AM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #10  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

"Rockin' Yoda".

I love the word "commitment". A lot of us look at this one day at a time. Me? I'm looking at this one YEAR at a time. I knew it was going to take a while, but in all my other attempts "a while" was too vague. I need specifics. So I decided this was going to take me a year and I got really curious about how much I could lose in that amount of time.

My year is almost up and I've lost 75 pounds!! On November 9th, my start date, I'll take it for another year. I am taking it one year at a time for a life time.

ETA: If a year doesn't work, how about one month at a time? Or six weeks at a time? Commit to sticking to a plan, NO EXCUSES, for a set amount of time.

Last edited by Eliana; 11-02-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #11  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!
If only some of us hadn't taken that literally...

And yes, it's the same for losing. One day, one meal, one snack choice, at a time. When you think about it, we don't know that we'll be alive ten minutes from now, so what difference does it make if losing takes "a long time"? It's all hypothetical... Just make your plan and stick with it "as though there is no tomorrow," instead of eating that way.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #12  
Why can't you?

S/C/G: 334/290.8/167

Height: 5'2"

Set tiny goals. If you can lose one pound, there's nothing stopping you from losing a second. It's a bonus when you see a 2 lb drop in a day...those days rock. It went on one at a time, if you can't focus on big picture, focus on obliterating the next pound.
AZ Sunrises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:56 AM   #13  
I CAN do this!

S/C/G: 230/179/160

Height: 5'4.5

remember, as many have said, the time is going to pass anyway. it might feel like it's passing slower or faster, but it's really the same speed as any other year.
my biggest problem isn't starting. it's getting back up. that is the difference between success or not.

include tons of nsv's non scale victories in your goals/plans. something as simple as being able to bend down and tie your shoes comfortably, you said no to a trigger food, you remembered to drink your water...the list goes on and on. celebrating those nsv's is fun, and so motivating! we are here for you! happy to celebrate, and if you need help getting up we're here for that too. once you are ready to really commit, you will. we can't really say anything to convince you, you have to want it more than anything. when you are feeling motivated, write it down. then when you need some motivation, read your letter to yourself or list of why you are doing this.
katy trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:01 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

No, it will not take you "forever," but if you don't make changes now you will stay overweight forever. The choice is up to you!

You can do this, even if it takes a little longer than expected. Don't get frustrated. Patience is key.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 AM   #15  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
If only some of us hadn't taken that literally...
hahahahaha

I am taking mine in 50lb chunks. At first, I was still very deeply aware of the 'real' total and my 'current goal' was just fluff, but over time, I am really starting to believe that I'm only 46lbs away from goal. HA -- I've lost more than half! I have absolutely no intention of stopping after my current goal, but somehow my mind has allowed it to be my focus for now. I so got this, piece of cake!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote