3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   3FC, do you count "the little bites"? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/216101-3fc-do-you-count-little-bites.html)

yhahmd 10-29-2010 08:39 PM

3FC, do you count "the little bites"?

and if so, HOW do you count them? I was going to go for another cup of popcorn today, thinking "that calorie counter isn't 100% accurate, I had 1 slice of turkey today, not 2 oz." etc. But then I started thinking, yeah, but you did have 2 or 3 little bites of cornbread throughout the day.

I just realised how often I have "two or three little bites" so I was thinking about counting them, too, but- how do I count them? I don't quite understand that to even label them as. 5cal? 7 cal?

Onederchic 10-29-2010 08:46 PM

I count it all.

Nola Celeste 10-29-2010 09:07 PM

I count "little bites" when:

- they're of calorie-dense items containing sugar and/or fat
- the "little bite" isn't so little
- they're from my husband's plate. If we go out and he offers me a bite of something he finds delicious, I enjoy that bite--but I definitely track it and account for it in the rest of my daily plan.

I don't count "little bites" when:

- they're raw, un-dipped, un-sauced, un-dressed veggies

As for how I count them, I estimate the amount I had, then double it. If I think I only had a two-gram taste of my husband's catfish meuniere, but really had four grams, then recording it as five grams incorporates a little leeway for underestimation.

I do feel a little silly or possibly even obsessive for writing down a few grams of something, but I know me. If I don't record my bites and tastes, I'm going to wind up cramming an entire strawberry streusel muffin in my face and considering it a "bite" just because it all fit in my mouth at once. Ooh, Celeste, you sneaky wench, you don't fool me for an instant! :D

JenMusic 10-29-2010 09:08 PM

Like Brown, I count it all, and if I can't count it, I don't eat it.

A lot of my weight loss mindset has been changed by following the principles in the Beck Complete Diet Solution book, by Dr. Judith Beck (it's not the best name, but it's a GREAT book). One of her strategies is to completely eliminate non-meal time/scheduled snack eating. That strategy has worked so well for me; it's forced me to be aware of every single bite I take, and enjoy the food I'm eating, rather than just quickly shoving it in my mouth.

That's a bit more than you wanted, but yeah, if you eat it, track it! :)

KenzideRhae 10-29-2010 09:18 PM

I just don't take "little bites", because I know they'll be hard to measure and track later. If you want to have some cornbread, figure out the calories and have a piece with a meal or as a snack. If you're having a little bite here and a little bite there, with the reasoning that the calorie counters really aren't accurate so it's okay, that's just going to lead to the calorie counting not working. I'd rather have the calorie counter be 10 calories off and just live with it than be eating 100s of extra calories a day because I'm taking bites of things here and there.

pipernoswiper 10-29-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nola Celeste (Post 3544420)
I do feel a little silly or possibly even obsessive for writing down a few grams of something, but I know me. If I don't record my bites and tastes, I'm going to wind up cramming an entire strawberry streusel muffin in my face and considering it a "bite" just because it all fit in my mouth at once. Ooh, Celeste, you sneaky wench, you don't fool me for an instant! :D

:rofl:

sacha 10-29-2010 09:35 PM

Even if you don't count the little bites, your body does.

matt_H 10-29-2010 09:45 PM

Those "little bites" are mindless eating that sneak up on you and you don't even realize it. I don't eat at all between meals and make it a point to never just have something to eat because it is there.

Sunshine73 10-29-2010 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenzideRhae (Post 3544439)
I just don't take "little bites", because I know they'll be hard to measure and track later. If you want to have some cornbread, figure out the calories and have a piece with a meal or as a snack. If you're having a little bite here and a little bite there, with the reasoning that the calorie counters really aren't accurate so it's okay, that's just going to lead to the calorie counting not working. I'd rather have the calorie counter be 10 calories off and just live with it than be eating 100s of extra calories a day because I'm taking bites of things here and there.

I completely agree with this. If I'm going to just "take a bite" I'm going to actually portion myself out an entire serving and track it. It's the only way for me to stop mindless snacking and adding hundreds of unaccounted for calories a week.

ValRock 10-29-2010 10:40 PM

I don't take 'little bites' for the same reason as others have stated. Keeps me on track.

TooManyDimples 10-29-2010 11:14 PM

I don't take bites either. The only thing I don't count is gum. I only have a piece every now and then so I don't bother with those 5 calories.

Rana 10-29-2010 11:14 PM

I count it too. 1/4 cup for a "little bite" of something is my standard. Sure, maybe I am over-estimating my calories, but I would rather do that, than not lose weight.

When I fall off the wagon and stop counting those little bites that go into my mouth, I don't lose weight, period.

Rosinante 10-30-2010 02:39 AM

I don't usually take a little bite but if I do, I first weigh it, then run it through DietPower or another calorie software, then log it. If I still actually want it by the time I've done all that, then I eat it. Often by then the novelty's worn off!

Eliana 10-30-2010 07:51 AM

Thanks for the reminder to return to my former state of no nibbling. Because they do add up!

When I first started I was very strict. I ate six meals a day, period. This is very helpful for when you face the little sample tables at grocery stores. ;)

Heather 10-30-2010 08:00 AM

I enter calories online, and I created a food called "just a bite (JAB)" and made it 25 calories -- it's basically an easy way for me to track those little bites. And then I estimate. Sometimes I record that the "bite" was 2 or 3 JABS (50 or 75 calories)

I worry less that it's exactly right in terms of calories. It's the actual tracking of those little bites helps keep me accountable.