Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 333/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'3"

Default Noooo...cake!?!

I work in a church and today is someone's birthday. A couple of people bought a cake to celebrate and a friend of mine who is also watching her weight came to warn me and told me that if I went into the kitchen area I would probably have a piece of cake forced on me.

So, I opted to stay away from that area. Yay me. Until a few minutes ago when someone was concerned I was being left out and brought me a HUGE piece of cake right to my desk. I appreciate the thought, I really do. They were just trying to be nice. This person doesn't even know I'm watching my diet (and it's not something I'm advertising). So, not wanting to be rude, I thanked them and now I've got this huge hunk of cake staring at me.

I'm ignoring it and will get rid of it as soon as I can without hurting anyone's feelings but sheesh. Up a pound on the scale and now confronted with cake? Is this like the 10 circle of **** or what?

Last edited by Sunshine73; 10-22-2010 at 10:51 AM.
Sunshine73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #2  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I licked your frostings!

Now toss the cake!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #3  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Say... "Oh thank you.. but I can't have it.. I found out I have a Milk/egg/gluten/sugar/anything you can think off... allergy/intollerance.(sp)
"I just ate so I'll save it" Then toss it when no one's looking.
"Oh I just had cake yesterday... I'll all caked out, thank you but it's okay."

of course now that you have the cake already and it's right there I expect you to empty the pencil sharpiner shavings all over it so you won't want to eat it and get it away from you ^.^
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Stay strong, toss it when you can do it privately and keep on goin'!!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #5  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

Say thanks and throw it away. Or if it were me, I would take this as an opportunity to announce my new life change. That way, people can be more sensitive about stuff
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:31 PM   #6  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

When someone offers me cake at work, and I don't want any, I say "oh, no thank you."

I have never ever encountered someone who felt that was rude, or refused to take no for an answer. Occasionally someone says "are you sure?" To which I respond, "Yes, I'm sure, thanks."

That's it. No sturm und drang. No long explanations of how I am allergic to this or just ate that. I say no thank you and it's over. I'm also rarely the only person in the room turning it down.

So I have to wonder, when these sorts of posts come up, who are the people who make it impossible for you to just say no thank you? Who are the people who take personal offense when you don't accept a slice of birthday cake? Who are the people who require you to provide a meticulous explanation for everything you put or don't put in your mouth? Or who stand there watching to see if you eat the whole thing or throw part of it away?

I understand that I may just be lucky to have never worked with a collection of food-pushing busybodies like so many other folks seem to be saddled with for coworkers. But I think maybe - just maybe sometimes - we are the ones who make a federal case in our heads over turning down the cake, and people around us actually don't care nearly as much as we think they do about what we eat or don't eat.

To the OP: good job resisting the cake. Now throw it away, or go put it back in the public food area or whatever. I really doubt anyone's feelings are going to be mortally wounded.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:32 PM   #7  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

It's probably not even that good anyways... I am very particular about what is my "favorite" and I figure why waste calories (and fat and cholesterol and trans fat and sugar and...) on something that isn't my MOST favorite? If I am going to indulge in a dessert, it is going to be one that I picked out. it is going to be what I desire most and not what soemone else picked out! I have become a dessert snob!! Lol!
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shcirerf View Post
I licked your frostings!

Now toss the cake!
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:00 PM   #9  
patience and perseverance

S/C/G: 198/ticker/125

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
So I have to wonder, when these sorts of posts come up, who are the people who make it impossible for you to just say no thank you? Who are the people who take personal offense when you don't accept a slice of birthday cake?
These are the people who I used to work with, who lived through their overstressed, under planned lives by eating. Indulging in rich client lunches, treat desserts, potluck company meetings, snacks at desks and endlessly filled candy bowls. And if you didn't jump on the bandwagon and "see" food their way, you were not on the team, treated with mistrust and sometimes a little jeering (what? One piece of cake? You aren't living....). The few thin girls were closet exercisers, keeping quiet whenever the talk inevitably rolled around to failed weight loss plans the inability to shed weight and airline seatbelt extensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carter View Post
I understand that I may just be lucky to have never worked with a collection of food-pushing busybodies like so many other folks seem to be saddled with for coworkers.
Yes you are.

I went from the low side of a standard 16 to the high side of an 18w in the 18 months I worked there. I know that I was in control of what went in my body, and they were choices I made, but I do know that part of it was the peer pressure and wanting to "succeed" at my job, not only through the work, but as a part of the team as well.
JayLei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/158

Height: 5ft 7in

I work in a place where there is ALWAYS junk food to be had. As a matter of fact, today we had donuts, pizza, and bagels (in addition to the candy bowl that's always here.) We have cake for everyone's birthday, potlucks for everyone's work anniversary, food in every meeting, and little treats just because "it's Friday". However, I rarely indulge and never feel pressured to do so. I'll stand around and socialize with the group, but that doesn't mean I have to eat cake. And honestly, I don't think anyone notices or even cares what I eat or don't eat. Why should they?

Last edited by joyc21; 10-22-2010 at 01:34 PM.
joyc21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #11  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

I have NEVER understood that...WHY?? Why do people feel the need to push food on others if they politely decline.

My office knows I'm on weight watchers...so we all try to do things that are more healthy for Birthdays. We did mini-cupcakes for one birthday...so really...one teeny cupcake is 1 pt. so I can easily work that into my points.

Today we did mini bagels and fruit for the one girls birthday instead of cake...I just brought my own light cream cheese.

I would just be honest with them...there's NOTHING to be embarressed about...plus...you might get some extra encouragement.

Throw it out in someone else's garbage.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233/226/218/211

Height: 5'0

Cool

Just say not thank you im sure they wouldnt find it to be rude, and a piece of cake isnt worth throwing all your progress off track for..
staybeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote