Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #1  
Delectable Inside + Out

S/C/G: 163.3/132.8/100

Height: 5'00

Default You Challenged Me. I Did It.

I made this thread a few days ago regarding low calorie consumption and food restriction in general. On average I'm eating about 500 calories on top of a vigorous workout daily. I was challenged, or perhaps encouraged is a better word, to increase my calorie and food consumption. Today, I did just that. It was very hard to eat it but I managed to consume exactly, exactly, 1200 calories. Honestly, I feel disgusted and I'm pretty distraught over it but maybe my body will tell me differently than my mentality? I had a stomachache on and off the majority of the day but that could be attributed to forcing myself to eat when I really didn't want to eat it. I admit to still doing a vigorous workout afterward burning off much of what I ate but it was a start.

I just wanted to say thank you to those that had a moment to listen and encouraged me to take this step. I've already planned out my entire food menu for tomorrow and it's at 468 calories. I know that's pretty low but I'm feeling guilty for overeating today. I'm thinking that if I can squeeze in 1200 calories at least once a week, that is a gradual way for me to get back on track. I know it's not perfect. But it's a slow, slow, slow start. Thanks again for just listening. I appreciate it.
Pudgebrownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:15 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 145/126/115

Height: 5'1"

Hey there. Just wanted to offer some encouragement to you and congratulate you on taking this step. Try to remember that by eating a healthy number of calories you'll be saving your metabolism and in the long run making itveasier to maintain a healthy weight. Best wishes to you.
DexterMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 140/123/?

Height: 5'2.5

Baby steps are definitely the way to go! Keep listening to those positive supporters and keep making your small steps towards healthy! Best of luck to you!!
molldoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:20 AM   #4  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

I agree, baby steps are key to keep you from freaking out and dropping the whole thing. When you feel comfortable you can have 1200 calories twice a week.
Was it the volume of food that had you forcing yourself to eat?(because you felt stuffed) or was it just knowing the calorie count of that food? Have you tried high calorie foods? things that are good for you, high in calories but low in volume? like nuts, Avacados and such?
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:08 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

Previously in my life, I've had many 500 calorie days - I totally remember the rice cakes, cucumber, fat-free cheese, mustard (my staples). I would lose slowly (not nearly as fast as one would think) and then when I started eating more, I would call it 'eating like a normal person' (2000 - 3000 a day i guess, i didn't count when I was eating normally), I would immediately undo all my hard work.

Funny thing is, only now have I experienced that a diet from 12-1500 (for me) allows me to lose the same amount of weight, actually much more, in the same time period, and its something I can do all the time. It doesn't rule my life as the 500 calorie diet did.

I sympathize with you - just wanted to say that the body does this great thing when you eat a bit more! It lets you lose more weight, quicker! It makes no sense, I know. I just know I've also experienced it first hand.

Last edited by bonnnie; 10-20-2010 at 03:09 AM.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #6  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I'm proud of you for trying something. I still think you need to talk to someone who really knows what they're talking about, like someone licensed. Could you maybe add an extra 100 to your 468 calories today? That's an extra apple.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #7  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

I'm glad to read that, even though you're deeply conflicted, you're posting honestly here & talking with us about this, and you're taking steps to treat yourself better and eat more healthily.

Would you feel comfortable telling us what your typical day's food consumption is like? We can maybe then make some suggestions of foods you could easily add or swap in for others.

Is it possible for you to hold off on exercising vigorously after you've eaten with the conscious intent of burning off what you've just eaten? That's the part of your post that still worries me. Can you try to sit with it for a while afterward and see how long you can hold out before you are compelled to get back to the gym?

Like Eliana, I do believe you ought to be talking to someone who's licensed & experienced in dealing with eating disorders, though I do want to offer you as much support as I can. I am not a professional, just someone who has been through this & finally come out the other side. But I needed professional assistance to manage that.

The low capacity in your stomach will change, over time. (I know this from my own experience.) It hasn't literally shrunken, apparently. I wouldn't have known that till someone posted the medical facts about stomach size changing. It doesn't, unless you have surgery. It's mostly a mental rather than a physical thing, like getting choked up.

Last edited by saef; 10-20-2010 at 11:41 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 11:56 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Good luck to you, kiddo!
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 140/136/125

Height: 5'6"

I read your other post, though I didn't know how to respond and I just want to say, good job. I'm so glad you're making an effort help yourself, and talking to someone (even if it's just us and not a professional, anyone is better than keeping it in!).

I think the idea of eating more healthy, but calorie-dense foods is a great idea, if it is in fact the volume of the food that's making you uncomfortable. If it's mentally the idea of that many calories, that probably won't help a whole lot.

Do you think it would be easier to just add an extra 100 calories every day instead of forcing yourself to eat so much on your 1200 calorie day? I don't know which would be easier for you, but if you can boost it a little every day and just keep adding to that when you can, I think that might be a more healthy way to do it. For example, like someone said, eat an extra apple. Just that would boost you from 400 to 500. Once you adjust to that, add in another little 100 calorie meal and continue with that until you're regularly eating 1200 a day.

I know that probably sounds terrifying, but weight loss will be much easier, and your body will thank you. Plus, think of how amazing it would be to not have to worry so much about what you're eating and all that.

Just know that you have support here and people who care about your well being. Good luck with all this, I truly wish you the best.
kirara982 is offline   Reply With Quote