Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-08-2010, 04:04 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Default "You looked better fat!"

I just saw a friend post on Facebook about Drew Carey's massive weight loss. He's lost 80 pounds! But their post wasn't encouraging at all, it just said "Sorry Drew Carey, but you looked better fat." 6 people had "liked" it, and several had commented agreeing, and saying things like "some people should just stay fat." It really upset me, because I'm thinking "way to go Drew!" and also "will they be saying the same about me?" It's not enough to deter me, I'm almost 50 pounds down and that number is gonna keep dropping... but still, it's hard to reconcile. Anyone else wanna "weigh in" on this?
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #2  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Weightloss is a very touchy subject and if you ask me there will always be nay sayers but for me I could care less Im doing this for ME and me only!!!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 254/181/165

Height: 5'7.5"

some people do look better with a little meat on them but there is being chubby and being dangerously over weight. i think drew carrey looks better now then he did when he was very very large but i hate to admit it I think he looked better when he was a little chubby. XD
niafabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:27 PM   #4  
June

S/C/G: 240/184/155

Height: 5'6"

Ok, I have to admit... my dad lost a ton of weight a few years back and I thought he did look better a bit chubbier (not all the way but not as skinny as he got). But I would NEVER say that to him and was thrilled he lost the weight!!!! He's healthier now and will be around longer as a wonderful grandfather to my kids so I seriously have no complaints (and sure hope he keeps it off!).
runningfromfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:32 PM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

I'm having to adjust to the fact that while my body has improved immensely, my face has not appreciated the weight loss. For the first time in my life, I look my age. I'm not willing to trade back but it is a bit discouraging.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:59 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 276/270/160

Height: 5'4

I agree that some do look better with a little meat left on them. For instance, Star Jones, I think, looks horrible now and looked better at heavier weights. If she were fit and toned she would look better, but she just looks saggy and droopy.
onherweighdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:05 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 236/217/195

Height: 5ft4

the main picture that i keep seeing floating around of him as the "skinny drew", hes wearing an ugly suit w/ a bow tie. i honestly think its more THAT picture, and the outfit that hes wearing that doesnt look good. but if you see some of the other pictures, he looks great! good for him. people shouldnt say things like that.. he's gotten healthier, everyone should be saying nothing but good things.
MzHopeful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's true that for some reason, a lot of people (not all) who have been heavy and then lost weight, lose in their faces, and it's more noticeable there. Perhaps because there is some skin sag, I don't know. People sometimes make remarks about someone looking "too skinny" when the person is at a normal weight and in fact has some fat around their middle, but they have a thin face.

The main reason to lose weight has to be for health reasons, especially for those who are obese and have lots to lose. Sad to say, the body just isn't going to turn out looking like a teen's does.

So, I'd say, lose your weight, and forget about the people and their judgments. If your doctor says you're OK, that's whom you should believe.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 266.2/See ticker/133.0

Height: 5'5

In my opinion, people who lose a bunch of weight and look "bad," look so because they lost it really fast by cutting calories, and not building enough muscle underneath, so then they look gaunt and hangy, like droopy the dog.
DaughterOfVenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #10  
The journey begins...

S/C/G: 215/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

People always look better when they are healthy! Sometime people have extra saggy skin from weight loss and that may make them look older, unhealthy or ill; that's when skin tightening may be useful. Skin or not the healthy option is the better option!
JillyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:20 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

I'm sure part of it too is that he himself was a character - so it wasn't just as if Drew Carey lost weight, but because his image is SO MUCH of who he was as a comedian, its hard to see him with the new look.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #12  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

^^ I haven't seen the pic, but I was thinking that, too.
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 330/274/200

Height: 5'8"

Last edited by neonwildflower; 10-08-2010 at 05:37 PM.
neonwildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 302/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

He does look older now. So does Alton Brown who has recently lost a lot of weight.
fitkristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:45 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 346/269.5/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzHopeful View Post
the main picture that i keep seeing floating around of him as the "skinny drew", hes wearing an ugly suit w/ a bow tie. i honestly think its more THAT picture, and the outfit that hes wearing that doesnt look good. but if you see some of the other pictures, he looks great! good for him. people shouldnt say things like that.. he's gotten healthier, everyone should be saying nothing but good things.
Maybe you're on to something. That's the only picture I have seen of him and I thought he looked horribly pale and sickly.
Natasha1534 is offline   Reply With Quote