Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-03-2010, 01:20 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 285/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
I'm thrilled to be losing weight. Beyond belief. But some things are SO annoying about the whole process.

1. I spent a bunch of money buying a bunch of new bras about 3 months ago. They're all too big. Both cup size, and band size. I hate that!

2. Being "between" sizes. One size is baggy, the next size down I can't even get my pants zipped. I feel like it makes me look dumpy.

3. Not having a lot of clothes that fit, and not wanting to spend the money on some that do b/c I'm hoping to not be at this size for too long. See above, I feel dumpy.

4. Feeling thin and hot b/c I've lost 34 pounds, but then seeing myself in the mirror and realizing that I'm still fat at 232.

What bugs you?
I can so relate to # 2. I tried on 11 pairs of jeans yesterday and size 20 were too baggy and size 18 were too tight. I have 1 pair of ratty and worn jeans in my closet that fit. It is so frustrating

I also cant stand friends and family who tell me that even though I look better it will be just a matter of time before I fall off the wagon again! WOW! Thanks for the support guys!

I also can relate to #4 - I will take it one step further. I hate it when I dress up nice to go out-feeling really good about how far I have come only to have some stranger tell me how fat and disgusting I look! I really hate mean people!
leeshalulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:25 PM   #32  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

1. I concur, the in-between sizes are killing me right now. I'm in a tight size 10, but the next size up, 12, sags off of me.

2. Rock-in-sock boobs. Also known as fried egg on a doornail boobs. They're getting better the more weight I lose. I'm between a b and c now, and they're waaaay more perky than they were when I was a D-DD.

3. Sagging skin. I feel like my skin is too big for my body, especially on my love handle area and thighs. I haven't even lost a bunch of weight! Will it eventually "recede" and fit me again?
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #33  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

- People who complimented me on my weight loss, then gave me their own personal dieting advice (as if I weren't doing fine on my own), some of which was a little bizarre.

- People who have a friend or sister or someone close to them who lost a lot of weight, doing something else, which I ought to switch over & do instead of what I'm doing. They're very proud of that person. Because, obviously, if you can't lose weight yourself, but you have a friend who did, then that removes any obligation you might have in the eyes of the world & to your own health. (I call this "my husband" and "my child" surrogate excuse. For some women, if their husband or child has accomplished or experienced something, they did this as a surrogate for the woman, & in the woman's eyes it's as good as if she did it herself.)

- People who announce that they hate **all** vegetables and fruit, which is a permanent & unchangeable state of mind, apparently, and so they can't do what I'm doing, ever, because they just couldn't bring themselves to eat that stuff all the time.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #34  
soy un perdedor

S/C/G: 360/319.4/170

Height: 5'9"

1. Looking like a permanent hobo - as some of you have said, the between sizes thing. I'm a couple of pounds away from 40 lost, and I'm right between sizes. It's annoying and makes me look like a sloppy scrub.

2. The fickle nature of the scale - It's natural, some weeks you don't lose or lose as much, but it's still aggravating.

3. Preachy former and current fat people - I pretty much hate any preachiness, and this ranks right up there. It's one thing if you ask for help, it's another when people condescendingly try and tell you what you should be doing.

4. Explaining to friends why you're no longer playing beer pong - I've cut back on alcohol for obvious reasons, and being in my 20's, I constantly get asked why I'm drinking less at parties, bars, etc. Surprisingly, most people actually try and egg me into drinking, instead of supporting me.

5. Occupying 30% of your thoughts with food and exercise planning - I find I do best when I'm thinking and planning in advance and throughout the day. Sometimes I wish I didn't have to. But not enough to ever stop.

Ahhhh, cathartic.
fatgirlhealthyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #35  

S/C/G: CW: 155 GW: 130

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirlhealthyself View Post
3. Preachy former and current fat people - I pretty much hate any preachiness, and this ranks right up there. It's one thing if you ask for help, it's another when people condescendingly try and tell you what you should be doing.
This one is a big one for me. My mom and I have huge problems between us, mainly from her own bad choices, and I've recently set some huge boundaries that resulted in her not speaking to me. Part of the problem is that she has an eating disorder and drug problem, and has lost close to 80lbs since April. She is a huge reason that I suffered from binge/purge and starvation diets from the time I was 9. She would always make comments about my body, even when I was a kid, and it took forever to begin to get past all of that. She said she says those things to motivate me to look better. I don't think I look terrible now, and I KNOW I didn't look bad when I was a 98lb 14 year old! She can keep her "motivation."
Pint Sized Terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:42 PM   #36  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

First, I need to state the obvious - just for my own peace of mind - and say that any of these aggravations are nothing compared to what being 200+ pounds felt like. I don't love everything about this journey, but I wouldn't go back for a million dollars.

That being said . . .

1. I hate having people look at what I'm eating. I didn't tell anyone when I started changing my eating/exercise habits, but now that the weight loss is apparent I feel like so many people are constantly checking out what I'm eating, and sometimes ask me about it (not in a genuinely curious way, more like "should you be eating that?"). Double the annoyance if they actually make comments on it! I don't comment on what you're eating, people.

2. Trying to keep away the well-meaning food pushers. Not the toxic people who want you to fail (thank goodness I haven't come up against one of those yet) but good friends/family who don't understand how much planning goes into my daily food, and who really think it's ok for me to have "just one cookie, just today." Today's one cookie throws off my weekly calories and means I can't have my planned splurge later on in the month. To be fair, a lot of people do eventually take no for an answer, but as a grown woman I don't need to be convinced to eat anything.

3. I'm not going to lie, sometimes I really miss thoughtless eating. I wish I could stop planning and eat when I'm hungry, or eat whatever my friends are eating. I wish I could turn my brain off around food - but I can't, and I shouldn't, because all those things are what got me to 200+ pounds in the first place.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:31 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Getting complacent. "I've lost 50 lbs, I can have a little splurge here and there. I'm still going to lose the weight. It's just one treat." I'm on a 5 month mental plateau here!
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 PM   #38  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post

1. I hate having people look at what I'm eating. I didn't tell anyone when I started changing my eating/exercise habits, but now that the weight loss is apparent I feel like so many people are constantly checking out what I'm eating, and sometimes ask me about it (not in a genuinely curious way, more like "should you be eating that?"). Double the annoyance if they actually make comments on it! I don't comment on what you're eating, people.
Oh, good one! I feel just as guilty eating that half a donut on rare Fridays at work as I did at 235 pounds! Not because I should feel guilty but because I'm MADE to feel guilty! People look at me with concern, as if they are wondering if they are witnessing the beginning of my fall. You want to say, "It's ok. I can afford it." I really do hate that. And yes, worse when they comment. "How are you able to eat and stay so skinny?" I just want to eat my splurge in peace!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:20 PM   #39  
Maintainer since 12/21/10

S/C/G: 260/144/145

Height: 5'5"

JenMusic, I'm completely with you. I've had relatively few people comment on my eating (though it's possible that some have been watching without my noticing), but I consider those people who *have* commented to be very rude.

I've been pretty fortunate not to have run into too many "food pushers". Maybe part of that is because I live by myself, spend a lot of time by myself, and have no family to speak of. When offered food, I've done a pretty good job of either eating a little or politely declining without it being an issue.

For some reason, I don't really miss thoughtless eating, though. I find calorie counting to be very comforting, in some way. I don't think I'll ever be successful as an intuitive eater--I don't seem to know when to stop. But it's gotten so that calorie counting not only isn't a major burden, but isn't a burden at all, and it's reassuring to know that I'll be able to maintain by just adding a few calories into my daily allotment.

I guess I'm a bit annoyed by wearing baggy clothes, but I've heard that the last few pounds can change your shape, so I'm waiting until I get to goal before I invest in a new wardrobe.
Oboegal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:25 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 264/202/163

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenMusic View Post
2. Trying to keep away the well-meaning food pushers. Not the toxic people who want you to fail (thank goodness I haven't come up against one of those yet) .
I have a toxic person... we lived next to each other and for 6 years everytime I started a diet she came over with cheesey casseroles, baked goods and ideas to go to Cracker Barrel. Now that I don't live next to her any longer and haven't spoken to her in 4 months isn't it strange that I am finally sticking to something?
stacygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:44 PM   #41  

S/C/G: 169/141/110

Height: 5'2

Having all my skinny, tall, and beautiful friends compliment me on my weight loss!! WTH? Didn't I look fine before?
annputation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:32 PM   #42  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

I am all over your #4... I sometimes feel happy and thin because I've lost like 50, but other times I am a little icky because I still have 30 more to go!
BUT, those 50 are always gone!! lol The other 30 will be worked off soon enough!!
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 10:50 PM   #43  

Omg JenMusic your #1 and #2 go together for me. People will comment on my splurge and then assume that means I can go eat whatever they want me to eat and get angry if I turn them down in a "So you can eat a brownie but you won't go eat pizza with me?" One splurge does not mean I get to eat whatever all the time, or that I've "blown" the day--that's not how I operate! So much outside pressure once you initially turn people's food offers down, they keep waiting to see you fail so they can jump and get you to go out again.
SpoonSockSpork12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 214/173/145

Height: 5'5.5"

Hello!

I relate with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bac0s View Post
2. Being "between" sizes. One size is baggy, the next size down I can't even get my pants zipped. I feel like it makes me look dumpy.

3. Not having a lot of clothes that fit, and not wanting to spend the money on some that do b/c I'm hoping to not be at this size for too long. See above, I feel dumpy.

4. Feeling thin and hot b/c I've lost 34 pounds, but then seeing myself in the mirror and realizing that I'm still fat at 232.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeSpirit View Post
1. Feeling larger than I actually am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgirlhealthyself View Post
4. Explaining to friends why you're no longer playing beer pong - I've cut back on alcohol for obvious reasons, and being in my 20's, I constantly get asked why I'm drinking less at parties, bars, etc. Surprisingly, most people actually try and egg me into drinking, instead of supporting me.
I´m in my 20´s too. The first time i asked for a non alcoholic beer my friends gave me the evil eye. Let´s face it, non alcoholic beer is the worst but my heart aches when i drink alcohol and realized how many empty calories i´m taking.

Last edited by ielena; 10-04-2010 at 06:05 AM.
ielena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:47 AM   #45  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

1. The realization that one of the things you really had in common with your fat friends was food. They still think "let's get together" means "let's go to our favorite restaurant" or "let's chat" means "let's sit at the kitchen table and eat a whole cheesecake and *****." This has been really hard for me.

2. Fat people who (a) comment on your weight loss and then quickly explain why they can never do the same or (b) act like this is a competition and announce (on a daily basis) how much they've lost (which they are obviously lying about).

3. People with advice. Shut up! Seriously.

4. Buying clothes that you hope will fit "someday"...and then discovering you slipped right past the stage where it did fit and now it's too big.

5. Fat Days. Those days when no matter what you wear or what you do, you feel like you haven't lost an ounce and are convinced that you look like a bloated whale.

6. Those moments when it seems like you are never ever never going to reach goal.

7. How the scale can change in just a matter of seconds. Weigh-in #1 is one weight, weigh-in #2 is a different weight. Cut it out! I did not gain .07 pounds in a nanosecond.

8. Being told I will never be as thin as my sister. She has had 6 kids and still has a smokin' hot size 6 body. I can't compete with that and I'm not trying to, but I don't need to be reminded for the thousandth time that I'm fat and she's not and it's always been that way.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote