Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:14 PM   #1  
Lorie

S/C/G: 280/ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Unhappy How do you measure Tablespoons?

Well, I have a food scale and measuring cups. I don't have a problem measuring out my proteins, veggies, fruits or starches (with the help of my scale or measuring cups), but I cannot figure how to get Tbs and tsps. I have the little spoons that measure the amount, but I always have so much salad dressing left in the spoon, Im really not sure how much actually makes it on my salad. Any tips or suggestions that work for you guys out there in the 3FC world? Thanks everyone!!!!
glenlorie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

For salad dressing, I just measure the TBSP and pour it on. I feel that trying to make up for that tiny residue isn't really worth it. It's better to over-account, than to under-account for the calories/fat/etc.

The difficulty is with peanut butter, but I typically spread as much as I can on whatever it is, and lick the spoon after
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:08 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/216/130

Height: 5'4

I have had the same problem with salad dressing so what I've started doing is filling the spoon so that it is well rounded at the top without letting it drip off the sides, that way I feel that I've accounted for whatever loss is left in the spoon once I pour it on my salad. It hasn't had a bad affect on me yet
creative mom of 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

I bought a small glass container with screw-on lid, and measured out my dressing ONCE, then marked the jar with tape and now can pour directly in jar each time without measuring.
bandit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 01:50 PM   #5  

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit2 View Post
I bought a small glass container with screw-on lid, and measured out my dressing ONCE, then marked the jar with tape and now can pour directly in jar each time without measuring.
This is brilliant. :-)
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4''

For things that leave lots of residue (peanut butter, mustard, etc) I use measuring spoons with a cupped not flat bottom and I can use a small spoon to get the vast majority out.
popspry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

I use my food scale, and place my salad/bread/etc on the scale (on a plate, of course) and then add the dressing, PB, sauce, whatever directly onto whatever I'm putting it on. One less dish to dirty, as well.

If I can't do this for whatever reason, I don't worry about the residue in my bowl or cup. I figure it leaves me a tiny calorie cushion.
JenMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #8  
Peace. Love. Balance

S/C/G: 199/128/125 (new goal of 115)

Height: 5'3

I scoop it with my finger or use another spoon. :P
bananapancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:27 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I have obsessive tendencies, so I am careful not to let myself get all crazy with measuring. I measure a tbs and count it as a tbs, no matter if anything is left over.

I figure, it's impossible to know everything EXACTLY and just being consistent and mindful is sufficient.

For example - apples. All apples are 100 calories for me. Sure, little ones might be 75, big ones might be 125. I make my life simple - 100 calories.

I have been doing this for over 6 years, I expect to do it forever. It must be simple, doable and liveable. If it made me crazy, I wouldn't want to stick to it.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 246/233/175

Height: 5'8"

I use non-stick cooking spray... It doesn't stick to the measuring spoon anymore.

Last edited by jefferzzzz; 09-23-2010 at 03:41 PM.
jefferzzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
I have obsessive tendencies, so I am careful not to let myself get all crazy with measuring. I measure a tbs and count it as a tbs, no matter if anything is left over.

I figure, it's impossible to know everything EXACTLY and just being consistent and mindful is sufficient.

For example - apples. All apples are 100 calories for me. Sure, little ones might be 75, big ones might be 125. I make my life simple - 100 calories.

I have been doing this for over 6 years, I expect to do it forever. It must be simple, doable and liveable. If it made me crazy, I wouldn't want to stick to it.
I am this way as well. Exactly. I always count an apple as 100 calories. I don't measure or weigh them.

I can't possibly start sweating the amount of foods that I can't get off the spoon, out of the cup or bowl, etc.

This has worked for me very well, with excellent results for over 4 years now. Perhaps if I had a stall or something, I would re-think.

Ha. A thought just popped into my head. This reminds me of when I first started dyeing my hair at home. You have to squeeze the colorant tube into a bottle and I'm thinking, "well there's still stuff left in the tube, just how hard to I need to get out every last drop?" I thought that for about a split second and moved on. My hair color has been just fine and I'm fairly certain I don't get out the same EXACT amount each and every time.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

Ta Da!!!!!! I saw this on Alton Brown's show once. Looks like you can get them in different sizes, too!! This one measures smaller amounts like you would need for salad dressing, etc. It pushes the dressing (or peanut butter or syrup or honey, you get the idea) up and scrapes the sides of the tube to get it all!

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenArt-221...ref=pd_sim_k_1

BTW...Hello fellow Okie!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Measuring.jpg (20.9 KB, 3 views)

Last edited by AnnieDrews; 09-23-2010 at 04:06 PM.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

I put whatever food I'm having onto the scale, tare it, and then weigh it that way.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:02 PM   #14  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

If you have a food scale, measure the dressing by weight.

Put the bowl of salad on the scale. Zero it out. Add the dressing. Ta-da! You don't even have to get your spoon dirty.

(But I agree that you shouldn't worry about the residue in a spoon or cup)
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #15  
Workin' It

I measure salad dressing and peanut butter by weight. I put the salad bowl or slice of bread on the scale. I'm a control freak.

And I have one of those measuring cups pictured in Annie's post, along with adjustable measuring spoons that squish out the last bit, too. Again, control freak.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote