Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-21-2010, 09:45 AM   #1  
Hi there!

S/C/G: Ticker

Height: 5' 5"

Wink I'm either getting smaller or going crazy.

Recently I guess I've dropped enough weight that people are really starting to notice. I hung out with a friend the other day who I'd not seen in about a month or so, and she was surprised at how I looked. She was very complimentary, which felt great. Other friends and family members have also started making comments like that, where not as many people had noticed before.

But I know I've still got a ways to go. One of the issues I have is that I have a hard time telling how my weight loss is going apart from the scale. I'm terrible at measuring myself (I can measure myself three times in a row and get a deviation of 2 inches or so - it's bad) but I do it anyway.

Sometimes I think I can see a difference in the mirror, and sometimes I can't. Or once in a while I'll find a new bone or something that's starting to stick out - but then I can't really see it in the mirror, just feel it.

I've starting trying to subtly watch myself in windows and glass doors as I walk around my campus - I'm trying to tell if I look smaller walking around. I have no idea, and I'm pretty sure people think I'm nuts when I do it.
I've even been doing strength training to help with my shape, but I can't see a difference yet - which is not surprising, as I've still got layers of...ahem, chubbiness.

So, I guess I'm changing, but I'm one of the only people who can't really tell. I feel better and my clothes fit better, but I'm like blind to the changes. If others hadn't said things of their own free will (I hadn't even told anyone I was trying to lose weight - I still don't really talk about it), and if the scale wasn't 34.5 lbs down from my high weight, I still wouldn't believe it I don't think.

I'm not stressed about this, just a little confused and a bit interested in why this happens, if anyone should happen to know. Should I be able to see a difference? Or is it normal not to?

Anybody else who felt/feels that way? Or if you've reached or are close to your goal, do you see yourself as smaller finally?
LiannaKole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #2  
Vegging out

S/C/G: 268/ticker/148

Height: 5'6"

I about 30 lbs down, and I see a difference in the way clothes fit, I feel bones even if I can't see them, but overall I still see a big, fat me with a long way to go. Just looking in the mirror, I don't see a big difference visually, but when I look at pictures, I can tell. I feel that pictures are very helpful, so if you have a camera with a self timer or a trusted friend, pics can be a great comparison tool. Great job so far!
dudesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #3  
is super awesome.

S/C/G: ...ticker...

Height: 5'7"

I'm AWFUL at measuring, too... So I did the picture thing. I've lost 29 lbs so far, and people have noticed, but without those "start" pics, I would never know!
kateleestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'2

Just remember that you see yourself several times a day, which will make it harder to tell the difference. Personally, I think it's the mentality. It's really hard to move past being the fat girl and getting used to a smaller body. Sometimes I look in the mirror and it feels like nothing's changed all that drastically, though I've lost nearly 55lbs. Of course I know that's not true, and most of the time I can most definitely see the differences, but some days it's just so hard to believe and it's hard to wrap my head around. I really second the using off all kinds of different tools to measure yourself. I go by the scale, measuring tape and the way my clothes fit. Whatever works!

Last edited by Kyla0709; 09-21-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Kyla0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:06 AM   #5  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

When I posted a similar question awhile back, someone told me that your brain does this weird thing where it doesn't see what's actually in the mirror but just kinna fills in the image from memory. I think that's a good explanation for why it's so hard to see our bodies changing. Every once in a while, my brain will "blip" and I'll actually see myself and notice the difference. One day last week I caught my full length reflection in a window and did a double take. I treasure those moments because I know that's reality! I also depend a lot on how clothes fit because there's no denying the change when your pants are falling off.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM   #6  
One day at a time!

Height: 5'3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateleestar View Post
I'm AWFUL at measuring, too... So I did the picture thing. I've lost 29 lbs so far, and people have noticed, but without those "start" pics, I would never know!
Slightly off topic, but you and I have the same stats, and oddly enough, the same birthday!!!
ebenz315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #7  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I definitely have these moments- but I have to remind myself 1- I went from a size 18 to a 14. 2- I went from XL shirts to Medium.

I think one thing that helps is getting a haircut- that seems to reset your body image- don't ask me why- but when I cut my hair I really noticed the differences
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 250/110/110

Height: 5'4''

I feel ya. I still see myself as the chubby girl I once was. But I really think I'm getting better each day! This body dismorphia will soon be a thing of my past! But it's hard carrying an extra 121 lbs for 10 years does a lot to your mind!
guamvixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 306/240/140

Height: 5'5

It's not just you. I'm 54 pounds lighter now, and while other people can see the difference I can't.
Kaonashi is offline   Reply With Quote