3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   So embarassing.... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/209695-so-embarassing.html)

BlessedBe 08-11-2010 11:55 AM

So embarassing....

I went to Cedar Point with my mom, my best friend, and a new love interest a few weeks back. I thought it was going to be so fun! We got in line to ride the Raptor, and I was excited when we finally made it. I went to my seat and, to my horror and mortification, I couldn't fit! Most of my weight is all in my hips, butt, and thighs. And my hips were too wide to fit! One of the attendants tried to help me get the bar down, but it wouldn't go. She said I couldn't ride, and that I should have checked with the display seat at the beginning of the line first. I never saw the seat, and I also didn't think I had gained THAT much weight since the last time I went. So I had to stand and wait for everyone else to go. I almost wanted to cry. I was SO embarassed. I could just imagine all the skinny teenagers making fun of me. I really wish theme parks would make at least a few seats wider, for people like me. I know they must think about balance, but still. I'm sure there would be a way to make it work. And since a lot of the coasters had seats like that, I couldn't ride hardly anything. Kind of killed the whole trip....

LiliK 08-11-2010 12:09 PM

I'm sorry that happened to you. I've been there/done that, too, with a stupid bar that wouldn't go down around my belly (and I wasn't pregnant). I applaud you for being brave enough to want to ride!! :-) I avoided amusement parks/rides for years after that horrible incident because of my weight and being afraid that I would break something, assuming I would even fit in there in the first place. Won't it be great, a few months from now, for us to be able to go on any ride we want?

Just added that to my "must do" list. I look at that list almost every day, and it helps keep me motivated to stay on plan.

nelie 08-11-2010 12:11 PM

I'm so sorry that happened :(

I think really it comes down to supply and demand. A lot of older roller coasters have tighter fits because there weren't as many obese people 40 or 50 years ago. As some older rides get replaced, some theme parks may try to buy newer roller coasters to fit the growing obese population but really they'd only do it if it made sense financially. If they find their profits declining because of people not fitting their rides, then they may change but otherwise replacing roller coasters is expensive.

Vixsin 08-11-2010 12:16 PM

:hug::hug::hug:

I am so sorry that happened to you. I've been there before too.

Don't beat yourself up over it. Use it as a tool to help keep you on track. You're doing a great job!!

peacebunny 08-11-2010 12:20 PM

I'm sorry this happened to you but use it in a positive way. This or something weight related made you join this site so use that situation as incentive to come down. I have been embarrassed by a number of weight inflicted incidents such as when I first realized that I was so big that my thighs rubbed. I went to work in a skirt after not wearing them for a while and had the biggest raw skin scrape ever and tried to buy pants on my lunch hour only to have the button pop off....yet I continued to eat and told myself that it was 1 time incident. Ironically I said all this to myself and swore off skirts until spanx. So crap happens just don't let it get you down and keep it moving in your weight loss adventure.

DhaniCauldwell 08-11-2010 12:21 PM

That happened to my brother when we went to Cedar Point. I got off the ride with him so he didn't have to take the walk of shame.

:queen: Dhani :queen:

Iianae 08-11-2010 12:45 PM

I'm so sorry that happened to you!! That is for sure one of two really big fears I have...another fear is sitting on a folding or plastic lawn chair and having it break in front of everyone.

@Dhani , I think that was so sweet of you to do that for your brother!!

audrina 08-11-2010 12:49 PM

For two days I worked at an amusement park on a roller coaster, it was horrifying for me.

I had recently lost a TON of weight, and maintained for a few years but then started to gain it back [I was in my teens] when I was working at the amusement park, I was in no way at my highest weight, I was actually at a weight lower than I am at now, but what I saw there broke my heart.

People who were overweight not being able to get on the ride - every time I had to tell someone they couldn't ride I could feel their embarsment and shame. It was like I ruined their whole day, and there wasn't anything I could do about it. It made me feel so bad. And at the time, I felt as big as they were so it was basically like telling myself I couldn't ride either.

This experience actually has a lot to do with why I quit that job. But what I wanted to say in that ramble was that the group of people I worked with - not once did they make fun of the people who couldn't ride the ride, it made us all pretty sad.

jkinboston89 08-11-2010 02:04 PM

I'm really sorry that you had to go through that. Don't be embarrassed, though. I'm sure it happens several times/day so the attendants are probably all used to it. I do sympathize with you; sure it feels as though everyone is looking at you. But your friend, mom and new love interest love you for you. They wouldn't be there with you otherwise, and everyone else doesn't really matter. All those teens you're concerned about forgot about it five minutes later.

And think how great you'll feel if you go there next year, ready to fit ALL the rides :)

Ciao 08-11-2010 02:22 PM

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a...ivider-1-1.jpg

Hang in there. :hug:
I'm sorry that happened to you.
For me it's kind of the reverse
situation. I went to a country
fair and they had this one ride
that flips you upside down. Well,
I was too tiny for my seat so the
bar didn't fit on me all the way.
By the time the ride was over my
legs were badly bruised from being
flipped. Quite frustrating and very
very very painful. :( I can definitely
relate to rides not being made to fit you.

http://i845.photobucket.com/albums/a.../Divider-1.jpg

MrsDawsondn 08-11-2010 02:26 PM

I hate that this happened to you it is a very embarrassing feeling.

I had this happen to me as well I went to a county fair with my little sister and this was around the time I was gaining a lot of weight. I had actually lost wieght and I was down to 280 lbs. I was confident that I'd be able to ride the ride and the bar wouldn't go over my belly. SOOOO embarrassing. I haven't been back to an amusement park since. I never thought about it but that may actually be the reason why I have a deep seated fear of that happening again. Oh well when this weight comes off I cannot wait to ride rides. I was a dare devil and loved to try and get on every single ride in amusement parks I want that person back. We'll get there.

Serbrider 08-11-2010 02:26 PM

*hugs*

Last time I went to any kind of theme park (Universal Studios in Orlando) I JUST fit... like... I was squeezed real tight. I was kind of concerned about being able to get back up.

I'm so sorry it happened to you... *hugs agai*

bunnythesAINT 08-11-2010 02:28 PM

:hug:
I know how you feel, the same thing happened to me last year.

sweetnlow28 08-11-2010 03:31 PM

I'm sorry :hug:. This has happened to me as well. A few years back my children wanted to ride the bumper cars. They were too little to ride without an adult. My husband took our son in one and I was going to take my daughter in the other. I tried the seat but the bar and belt wouldn't fit. I had to take my disappointed daughter off the ride. She cried while all the parents looked at me. It was very embarrassing. I understand how you feel.

makehistory 08-11-2010 03:39 PM

I'm SO very sorry to hear that you had to deal with this. This happened to me a few months ago when we went to Busch Gardens in Williamsburg-I fit on all the coasters but one, and when they couldn't get it down my husband got off with me and I started to cry. I know how humiliating and hurtful that is. I grew up going to theme parks because my dad works for one and I couldn't believe I was so large (275ish) that I couldn't do something I've always loved. **hugs** But, lets use this experience as a jumping point and a reason to get rid of the weight for good-so we can have more fun in life without worrying about our weight and health! :)