Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #16  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I watched once as three attendants pushed down on the harness of a man to get him in and just thought how uncomfortable he must be. No one paid much attention, honestly, but my heart ached for him.

At King's Island there's a ride called "Demon Drop", or "Drop Zone" I think it's been renamed. My husband is 6' tall and about 225...not a huge guy, I don't think. But he has a curved back from some disk compressions. He was too big on top up where the harness narrows. I figured the assistants could help him get into it. I should have expected what happened. She came by and shoved that harness down and I swear I heard every bone in his spine crack...but by golly he was in. She realized what she had done right after she did it and just stared at him in horror. He rode it, but can probably never ride it again. I felt like the harness was kind of small for anyone so tall. My own shoulders didn't come up nearly far enough to be a problem, but for anyone who sits taller...

Last edited by Eliana; 08-11-2010 at 03:42 PM.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 300/264/150

Height: 5'3"

I'm so sorry you had to go through that experience!

I remember when I was about 20, I went on a ride at the state fair and my bar wouldn't lock into place. I was mortified and considering faking being scared and getting off, when the attendant announced we ALL had to get off because someone else's safety bar wasn't working. I got out without everyone seeing my embarassment, but inside I was still so upset!

But I was terrified just last month when some family and I went to Six Flags. I was so afraid I wouldn't fit I was checking out those people exiting the ride and comparing myself to them. I was prepared for it, but just hoping I wouldn't have to deal with it. Thankfully, only two of the rides I rode were tight. One I could suck in and squeeze and pop it in a couple clicks. The other only went in one click and made me really nervous, but I made it through and it didn't feel loose or anything.

I do want to mention though, that my whole family went to Disney about five years ago and I can't think of a single ride that anyone had a problem with... and we people from 160 to 320.
Xanadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:32 AM   #18  
Ready for a change!

S/C/G: S/C/G: 277/277/150

Height: 5'8"

I'm so sorry that happened to you! When I went to six flags last year I was really afraid of not fitting into the rides myself. I did, but it was veeryy snug! And like another poster said, don't worry if you stick to your plan, in a year you'll be able to go on ALL of the rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iianae View Post
...another fear is sitting on a folding or plastic lawn chair and having it break in front of everyone.
^ this is definitely one of my fears too!!!
love114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 AM   #19  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

I am sorry this happened to you and don't let it get you down. Just keep looking forward and focusing on your goals
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:30 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessedBe View Post
I went to Cedar Point with my mom, my best friend, and a new love interest a few weeks back. I thought it was going to be so fun! We got in line to ride the Raptor, and I was excited when we finally made it. I went to my seat and, to my horror and mortification, I couldn't fit! Most of my weight is all in my hips, butt, and thighs. And my hips were too wide to fit! One of the attendants tried to help me get the bar down, but it wouldn't go. She said I couldn't ride, and that I should have checked with the display seat at the beginning of the line first. I never saw the seat, and I also didn't think I had gained THAT much weight since the last time I went. So I had to stand and wait for everyone else to go. I almost wanted to cry. I was SO embarassed. I could just imagine all the skinny teenagers making fun of me. I really wish theme parks would make at least a few seats wider, for people like me. I know they must think about balance, but still. I'm sure there would be a way to make it work. And since a lot of the coasters had seats like that, I couldn't ride hardly anything. Kind of killed the whole trip....
sending so many 's. This happened to me the summer before I got serious about losing weight. It's one of two things that made up my mind to lose weight. It is embarrassing, but know you are not the only person it's happened to. I know that that doesn't mean much though. But others do know how you are feeling.

Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:53 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 198/135/125

Height: 5'5"

I'm so sorry you felt that way. Years ago I was with my friend and she didn't fit in the seat at 6 Flags. I felt so bad for her. I can understand the embarrassment....

But you can look at it another way too.. gives you something to work towards. Next time you go you could have a lot of fun.

Sorry again.
thepapillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:04 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

That happened to me at Six Flags. I realized pretty quickly that I wasn't going to fit. I had already skipped a few rides because I wasn't feeling well, so I just tried to play it off. "Hey guys, I think I need to sit out one more." Ugh, it was pretty depressing.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:18 AM   #23  
Diana Kay

S/C/G: 275/SeeTicker/200

Height: 5'11"

I understand how you feel! Back in June for my 19th birthday, my boyfriend surprised me with a trip to Santa Cruz for a day. The second ride we went on was onel ike another poster described, a drop zone one. We waited through line, got to our turn... And the seat belt type deal that attatched the harness to the base wouldn't reach! I had to get off the ride, and my boyfriend came with me. I tried my best to not let it get to me, but of course it was kind of nagging at the back of my head after that.

A few rides later, we got to a different ride. Waited through the line, blah blah blah... This one was also an over the shoulder harness, but when I pulled it down it seemed like I was safe... But apparently the light they have above those seats to show if it's safe or not said otherwise. So of course I had to get off of the ride AGAIN, and my boyfriend got off with me AGAIN, and it just embarrassed me to no end. I cried, had a little breakdown... Then went on with the rest of my day. I remember there was a ride or two that I acted disinterested in just because I didn't think I'd fit. I still enjoyed my fun day with my boyfriend, but it was certainly an aweful moment when it happened.

Try not to let it eat you up too much. use it as more motivation to keep on working. That's what I did... And when my boyfriend and I went to the state fair a couple weeks ago, I was worried about a ride we wanted to go on, because the compartments didn't seem to be very big... And we got on just fine! Hard work does pay off, eventually.
ninepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:43 AM   #24  
miamimelting

S/C/G: 239.5/see ticker/160

Height: 5'7

Sometimes the universe throws things in our lap that it knows will motivate us. I can only imagine the pain that you felt standing there waiting for everyone else to get off the ride. Just know you are not alone and many of us have had the same thing happen. Make it a goal to get in that damn seat next year and make it happen!!
miamimelting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:26 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 255.8/193.2/Unknown

Height: 5' 2"

i'm really sorry to hear that this happened to you. my heart goes out to you! i always avoided theme parks for this very reason. the fear of the unknown. i have seen people turned away for not fitting and i didn't think i could handle that in person.

however, i do know exactly how you feel. the first time i went to nyc, i was at or about at my highest weight (255.8). i got on the plane and the seatbelt would not buckle. i put both sides on my lap and i covered my lap with my jacket so no one could see. I was too embarassed to as for an extender. then, while in nyc, in the early morning hours after a night of drinking and dancing, we all stopped at a dinner for some food. the place was packed. they only had booths and i couldn't fit. i didn't want to fo the walk of shame so i crammed myself into the booth. it was so tight, i could barely breathe and my chest and stomach was hanging over the table and kept pushing my plate away from me. i was mortified.

those two things helped me have my "ah-ha" moment. it was that that gave me the determination and motivation i needed. i would not be that girl anymore. in a sense, i'm happy that i had to go through it - to stop what i was doing to myself.

i know it was horrible to go through what you did, but use that as fuel to push you to succeed. you can do it and you will go back and ride that ride!

Last edited by sawyouwearingflares; 08-17-2010 at 11:27 AM.
sawyouwearingflares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 191/Ticker/140

Height: 5'3" Age 51

What an awful feeling! So sorry for you.

I had something similar happen back in the late 1990s. I was around 220 back then. We went to go horseback riding. The weight limit was just above what I stated as my weight, so I had to step on a scale and just barely made it onto the horse. The man just gave me the worst look. I was humiliated but rode on with my son anyway.

Unfortunately, I think it is a safety issue with amusement rides. I would rather not ride than for them to make bigger seats/harnesses to accomodate larger people. They should post a weight limit at the entrance to the ride so people could see before waiting in line and being embarrassed.
AnnieDrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:32 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 182/156/135

Height: 5'2

Wow, I'm sorry about that. This is the reason I've avoided theme parks for so long.
CarbsAreEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:00 PM   #28  
Kicking the soda habit

S/C/G: 214/204/165

Height: 6'0"

Aww, I'm sorry. If it makes you feel better, it happened to me too. But I was in High School- it was mortifying. We went on a school trip to an amusement park for a physics lesson. Everyone was having fun riding the roller coasters and various rides. The only 2 seats I could fit into were the haunted house and some water park ride that didn't require any seat belts. The worst part, like you, was actually waiting in line for hours, getting to the seat and realizing I just wouldn't fit. The walk of shame back down the steps has scarred me for life. The experience has completely ruined any fair or carnival rides for me since. Just the thought of going to one of the parks makes me cringe. I've lost quite a bit of weight since, but I honestly don't think I'll ever be able to enjoy them again.
GreenTeaYum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #29  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

I have nothing really to say so i'll just give you a hug.

Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote