Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

Default Is this a crazy person thing?

Sometimes some of my ideas, when repeated to other people, sound a bit nutball so I'm going to run this by you all, with a bit of background (I'll try to be brief. I won't be, but I'll try):

A few years ago my husband and I started eating low carb-ish together and mostly just getting processed foods out of our lives. It was great, felt good, both lost weight, went on vacation and never recovered. I think part of what made us so successful was that I would get up in the morning and pack his lunch and snacks for work, and while I was doing it, go ahead and organize mine as well. Everything he was going to eat, breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, was in his bag (and mine was all ready on the top shelf in the fridge).

Because I had to plan that in advance, I could really think it through and make sure there was bulk and balance - enough food, hitting all the major nutritional high points, etc. It worked really well for both of us.

Also, I really really always enjoyed bagged lunches at school, or little odds and ends of things to choose from so for me, it's like a little picnic every day.

FF five years, fifty pounds each (YOWZA) and a child, we need to do something. My husband works from home, I'm a SAHM. Our daughter is going to do what we do and eat how we eat. I'm pretty good about making sure we have planned healthy meals and snacks but my husband and I are both secretly, ashamedly sneaking extra all day long and after she goes to bed.

SO, my point! FINALLY! Is it nuts if I go back to "packing" lunch for all of us and just leaving it in the fridge? I could get something like these

http://www.mytoybox.com/goodbyn-lunc...ed-orange.html

so that it's organized and appealing (mostly to my daughter) and even portion controlled. I know I could just use little plastic containers, but these are dish washer safe and they only hold so much - and we frequently spend the day in the car and I have to pack lunches and keeping track of a billion little containers, making sure Kid doesn't eat all the grapes before Dad gets to them, and that Dad doesn't knock out the almonds because he thought we already had ours - ugh. Three of these would easily fit with some ice packs in a rolling cooler bag/backpack we already own.

Is this a crazy person thing? TO ME, I think it sounds like a nice way to organize everything at one time in the morning so I don't have to think and continue to try to make good choices all day long. I can plan in advance. When my daughter starts asking for more snacks, I can remind her that we can look in her box to see what she has and because the compartments aren't huge, the portions will be reasonable. This was pretty successful for us in the past, but it made sense because he was going off to work. I don't know, it makes sense in my head but then I think, is this just an excuse for me to buy cute lunchboxes?
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I actually don't think it's crazy at all! I think it's a great way for you to set a good habit for your daughter....and a fun way to do it!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #3  
Determined Diva

S/C/G: 321/295/170

Height: 6'2"

I think you use whatever tools will work. If you feel organization and portion control will improve with this tool, by all means--go for it! Makes sense to me.
LiliK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 237/234/150

I don't think it's crazy, I think that being organized ahead of time is the key to anything and you can make it a fun family activity with you all having one and decorating it with your daughter!
Cassie8236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:09 PM   #5  
If you wanna Rock It . .

S/C/G: 248/164*low*/145

Height: 5'4"

I think thats a wonderful idea, I do the same type of thing for my son. He has his own set of bowls in the fridge that he knows are for just him. They are full of healthy snacks and treats, they go with him when he spends the day somewhere so I know he's eating healthy and he feels pretty special cause they are all his own.

I think its great, and it'll be a huge help when she goes to school, she'll already know what the deal is with a lunch box and you'll be so used to packing it up it'll be a breeze!
Coondocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

So what if it is crazy? Or if other people think it's crazy?

Mostly when people ask "is this crazy," they mean is this unusual or even a little weird?

Yep, it is. So what? You know what normal is? Eating crap. Do you really want to be normal?

Thinking outside the box, finding unusual solutions, being creative... it's a good thing.

And "kid stuff" isn't just for kids. When I was eating carby foods - I bought "Gerber graduates" cracker packs at the dollar store, instead of similar packs of Cheez-its. I have no kids, never have but the "baby food" crackers were in 60 calorie packs (insead of 210 calories for the Cheez-its).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

I say whatever works for you, go for it!
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #8  

Height: 5'3

I think it's charming! Are you my Aunt Eleanor? She had a dinner party for the family once where she gave us all a packed lunch box. She was such a sweetie.

I'm on the Sonoma diet that has you eat all your meals on a 9 inch plate. That really gives you a sense of portion size. Preparing your portions at a time when you are not about to dive in and eat gives you a better chance of not over endulging. Try it and let us know if it is a pattern changer. You may have the makings of the next new bestselling diet book-
"Think inside the box"

Last edited by 2Bees; 08-10-2010 at 05:25 PM. Reason: mangled spelling
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:33 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I don't think it's crazy at all. I think lots of people prepare their food ahead of time. It's almost the same concept as Nutri System and Jenny Craig, have all your food made and ready and sometimes just need to reheat it.

The Japanese do something similar with bento boxes, some cute style ones. So if you don't want the kiddie one maybe you can look for a more grown up style (of course there is nothing wrong with using kid ones, the Japanese usually use cute lunch boxes)
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:52 PM   #10  
It's about time

S/C/G: 300/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

That sounds like a great idea! I might try the same.
ParadiseFalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #11  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Uh, I think you just sold me!! Those are so cool!! I'm trying to figure out how to pack them for my boys as I sit here. How would they keep cool in their backpacks all day? This would save so much time and plastic baggies!

I love the idea even for you staying at home. That's called "PLANNING"!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #12  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Sure why not do it? Heck how many people cook ALL their meals on Sunday so they don't have to cook until the next Sunday? It makes life easier and if it's what works for you do it!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:20 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 290/290/147

Height: 5'7"

I'm glad I ran it by you guys. I feel pretty good about this. I like the idea of making all my choices for the day and not having to think about it.

Also, we did Jenny Craig years ago and lost about 30 pounds each. It was terribly easy. Then we ran into the holidays and we were never home so we were eating fast food in the car a lot. I won't have to do that if I'm already in the habit of packing food.

Thanks for the input!

beerab, I just checked out your blog and what's your current topic? Packing lunches!

Last edited by NiteNicole; 08-10-2010 at 06:21 PM.
NiteNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:26 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Haha how funny! Yeah it makes my life so easy to have my lunches prep'd a few days in advance
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5' 4"

If that's the craziest you get, you've got a ways to go before actual crazy! I think it's a great idea. If it helps, Tosca Reno suggests people carry bag coolers around in Clean Eating.
tea2 is offline   Reply With Quote