Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #1  
A Male Species

Default I want to lose weight need help with a weight loss plan

Hi all, how is everybody?

Good I hope?

Right, straight to the point me thinks.

Basically I want to lose weight and could do with advice on weight loss plans, tips etc.

At this moment I am jogging, walking, running for about 40mins a day for 5 days.

My daily routine consist of:-

Fruits in the mornings (When I can) Apples, oranges

Walking, Jogging, running 40mins - 1 hour.

Lunch - Fruits or salad, mainly fruits. (Melon, Pineapple, Grapes, Apples, Kewi Fruit)

Dinner/evenings meal - normal meal of rice, chicken, veg.

I snack on fruits when I can and drink plenty of water or green tea.

For the remaining two days of the week I tend to eat normal with smaller helpings of fruit. I call this my "treat myself" days.

I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and haven't noticed much of a difference, if anything I probably loss a pound or two.

Questions and Advice

Is eating too much fruits bad? I am thinking I am eating too much "sugar" and this is affecting my weight loss?

Are there good fruits, bad fruits I should be eating?

I know I need to do weights to loss fat and cannot rely on cardio. So what kind of weight excise can I do?

So the basic formula to loosing weight is burning off the calories intake right? So how I measure or know how much I am burning off?

Is there anything I can do in my routine to help me lose weight?
Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

i'm not an expert, and i'm sure some of the other girls can be more helpful to you.. but just looking at your menu it doesn't look like you're consuming enough calories (1000cal... maybe?). idk, if i were to eat this menu i'd be starving by the end of the day, and the amount of exercise you do i think calls for more calories.
You should join one of the calorie counting sites, they'll help you figure out how many calories your body needs based on your activity level, and how much you want to lose.

also, the treat day is a red flag. i know a couple of people that would just go hog wild over the weekend and cancel out all the hard work they did over the weekday. If you still want to eat "whatever you want" on your treat day, i'd recommend practicing maintenance. (still paying attention to your calories, and portions)

i hope this helps!

Last edited by therex; 07-25-2010 at 07:54 PM.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:52 PM   #3  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Hi Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim well for one to me if all your eating in the am is fruit and then the fruits for lunch I would be a little concerned that your not getting the right foods and your body may think you are starving . I have a fruit and usually eggs and usually turkey bacon for breakfast and then at lunch time I have a protien and Healthy carb and then veggies dinner sounds good. have you tracked your calories to see how much you are actually eating daily? a good site to do that is spark people it has alot of info in their and helps you track nutrition, fitness, and all you should check it out and see how much you are actually eating I try to eat between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. I hope this helps...
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 PM   #4  
A Male Species

Well the boxes of fruits are probably at most 250 calories?

The normal meal I eat is what I cook so I'm not sure how I can count it but I'll say nothing more then 700. So lets says around 1200 calories a day.

Is that too less?

I do snack on fruit when I am hungry or pinch chicken pieces, vegetables etc.

I only have time to do exercise in the mornings. At night I do some weight lifting, crunches but not something I do regularly as I am too tired at night time and I am not sure what exercises to do.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:31 PM   #5  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

S/C/G: 380/190/120

Height: 5'6

Just wanted to add that the closer you are to goal the slower you are going to lose losing a pound a week may actually be good depending on what weight you are. Also are you drinking a gallon of water a day that really really helps get a pitcher in the morning and try to finish it by the end of the day its ok if you dont get it all down every day but at least 3/4 or so. Also maybe you would want to try the stax system to help you balance out your meals http://www.staxsystem.com and eat more frequent smaller meals to rev up your metabolism search stax system on youtube to see some videos explaining how it works there is 3 phases so your weight loss doesn't plateau and a timer so you don't forget your meals. Bodybuilders also use it it's a really big help.

Also you are eating alot of fruit which isn't really bad but it would be better if you have a little less fruit and more salads instead if you are worried about the calories in the dressing do some searches for some good vinaigrette recipes they are alot less calorie dense and better for you. The more fibrous vegetables you eat a day the faster you will lose try to aim for 30g of fiber a day you may want to get a fiber supplement to help you reach that goal. Like one of these http://www.bestcovery.com/best-fiber-supplement hope that helps some good luck to you don't get discouraged also you are doing great.

p.s. also for the cheat day I'd cut it down to a cheat meal maybe once a week or 2 times a week and remember to keep it portioned and count it into your calories for the day.

Oh and to answer your questions:

Is eating too much fruits bad? I am thinking I am eating too much "sugar" and this is affecting my weight loss?
Yeah it can be try to keep the fruit to a minimum and more green leafy and the rainbow of veggies.

The lowest sugar fruits is raspberries and blackberries and blueberries banana and melons and pineapple are some of the highest. There are no bad fruits or good fruits really just keep bananas and some melons to a minimum but if you want a banana just remember to only eat like 1/4 and mix it with some other lower sugar fruits.

I know I need to do weights to loss fat and cannot rely on cardio. So what kind of weight excise can I do?
I'd suggest getting a muscle sculpting workout videos or there are some great workout videos even on youtube. Or go to a gym and have a trainer help you.

So the basic formula to loosing weight is burning off the calories intake right? So how I measure or know how much I am burning off?
http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc you could try that site Also remember you don't have to burn off all of your calories for the day just keep it at a deficit of 500-1000 below your weight loss calories for the day with either what you eat or exercise. You can find what calories you should be eating by calculating it here http://calorieneedscalculator.com/index.html

The best workouts to do are intense interval training if you are highly overweight I would suggest just walking and light weight training with high reps if you are more in shape you could try interval training you burn a lot more calories in the least amount of time you could check out http://www.youtube.com/user/charliej...5?blend=1&ob=4 on youtube shes a girl but really good workouts lol or try p90x or p90 if you want a easier workout p90x is pretty intense. Or just search interval training on youtube for lots of different workouts.

Last edited by going2bskinny; 07-25-2010 at 08:55 PM.
going2bskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:55 PM   #6  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

There are so many ways to lose weight, and it really comes down to what works for you personally and for your lifestyle.

I love numbers and data. So my first step was to try to figure out how many calories my body burns on a regular basis. There are so many calorie estimators out there, I just did a google search and plugged my info in and got different answers from each. I picked one in the middle. Then I started using a website to track my calories. First I used www.fitday.com and now I use www.livestrong.com/myplate because I find it has more of the foods I eat already in their database. When losing, I tried to consume about 500 calories fewer than I burned each day.

If you don't like numbers and data, or don't want to try calorie counting, you can try different diet plans like South Beach, etc. I've never done that so I am no help there.

Looking at your diet I'd say, "WHERE's THE PROTEIN!??!?!" Try to eat some lean protein at every meal and, if you can, every snack. Eggs, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, edamame, lowfat cheese, small amounts of nuts,... I love fruit and I eat a ton of it, but all that fruit, especially without any protein eaten at the same time, will take your blood sugar on a roller-coaster ride and leave you hungry pretty soon after (at least in my experience). try pairing protein with your fruit -- an apple with a little bit of peanut butter on it, or with a piece of cheese. Also, I'd try to eat some more vegetables. Good fiber, lots of bulk for low calories. Broccoli, green beans, asparagus, carrots, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, yum yum yum!

Best of luck to you -- there are so many people to learn from here -- keep reading and you will find all the information you need to be successful -- the rest is up to you!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 09:03 PM   #7  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

yes i was going to say too little protein also you are doing what i was doing when i started out i would stay away from meat because i thought ooo fat bad but eating lower fat meat in small portions at each meal actually helps or some good fats I had to get the stax system because I am not good at counting calories or balancing my meals or weighing and measuring things and it makes it much much more easier for me.

Here is a great video on nutrition and diet tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiNs9...os=VQDxFsU8Rv0

not sure if i agree with the excerisise on an empty stomach but im not really sure about that.

Last edited by going2bskinny; 07-25-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #8  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

omg I jest checked out livestrong and it is so much better then spark people Thanks thesame7lbs I love I am gonna start using it instead I can do so much more and the info is so much more. Thanks
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #9  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Whoops -- I should have mentioned, while I love livestrong.com/myplate for all the food data, I suspect it WAY overestimates the calories burned during exercise. It gives much higher numbers than fitday, my heart rate monitor, or the machines at the gym -- so I enter my "calories burned" manually based on my HRM.

Edited to add: Oh, and you're a boy? DEFINITELY learn about weight lifting. As a male, you have enough testosterone to build a bunch of muscle and increase your metabolism -- which means you get to eat more food! And muscle gives nice shape to the body.

Last edited by thesame7lbs; 07-25-2010 at 10:40 PM.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #10  
Crazy Cat Woman

S/C/G: 284/274/165

Height: 5' 4"

Ooo, great advice here!

I myself haven't been doing all that well when it comes to counting calories, but I am trying to balance my food and work outs. I do agree that you need more protein, and I hope you'll be able to meet all the goals you've set for yourself!
duckchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 12:38 PM   #11  
A Male Species

Gosh thanks for the long replies and support. I'll answer as many questions as I can so you can have a better understanding.

*Please Note I had to remove links and images from the quotes as it wouldn't allow me to post because I have less then 25 posts. The links can be found from the original posters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by going2bskinny View Post

Also you are eating alot of fruit which isn't really bad but it would be better if you have a little less fruit and more salads instead if you are worried about the calories in the dressing do some searches for some good vinaigrette recipes they are alot less calorie dense and better for you. The more fibrous vegetables you eat a day the faster you will lose try to aim for 30g of fiber a day you may want to get a fiber supplement to help you reach that goal. Like one of these hope that helps some good luck to you don't get discouraged also you are doing great
I'm fine with just a plan salad.

P.s. also for the cheat day I'd cut it down to a cheat meal maybe once a week or 2 times a week and remember to keep it portioned and count it into your calories for the day

Yes Will be doing this.

Oh and to answer your questions:

Yeah it can be try to keep the fruit to a minimum and more green leafy and the rainbow of veggies.
Have done this morning. Had 2 day fruit boxes, an apple and banana (So say that is 4 a day) and had a salad box so already got my 5 a day in. I had a hand full off nuts. So will now have a normal meal.

The lowest sugar fruits is raspberries and blackberries and blueberries banana and melons and pineapple are some of the highest. There are no bad fruits or good fruits really just keep bananas and some melons to a minimum but if you want a banana just remember to only eat like 1/4 and mix it with some other lower sugar fruits.

I'd suggest getting a muscle sculpting workout videos or there are some great workout videos even on youtube. Or go to a gym and have a trainer help you.

Have done this on youtube just basically 5 mins exercise doing your upper and lower body.

you could try that site Also remember you don't have to burn off all of your calories for the day just keep it at a deficit of 500-1000 below your weight loss calories for the day with either what you eat or exercise. You can find what calories you should be eating by calculating it here

So say I have 2000 calories. I should aim to burn off 2500? Not sure how it works I mean I do exercise in the mornings. Then eat healthy during the day. So lets say I burn 500 Calories in the morning I can have 1500 calories during the day? Bit confusing this?

The best workouts to do are intense interval training if you are highly overweight I would suggest just walking and light weight training with high reps if you are more in shape you could try interval training you burn a lot more calories in the least amount of time you could check out on youtube shes a girl but really good workouts lol or try p90x or p90 if you want a easier workout p90x is pretty intense. Or just search interval training on youtube for lots of different workouts.
Booked marked that will check it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
There are so many ways to lose weight, and it really comes down to what works for you personally and for your lifestyle.

I love numbers and data. So my first step was to try to figure out how many calories my body burns on a regular basis. There are so many calorie estimators out there, I just did a google search and plugged my info in and got different answers from each. I picked one in the middle. Then I started using a website to track my calories. First I usedand now I use because I find it has more of the foods I eat already in their database. When losing, I tried to consume about 500 calories fewer than I burned each day.

If you don't like numbers and data, or don't want to try calorie counting, you can try different diet plans like South Beach, etc. I've never done that so I am no help there.

Looking at your diet I'd say, "WHERE's THE PROTEIN!??!?!" Try to eat some lean protein at every meal and, if you can, every snack. Eggs, chicken, fish, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, edamame, lowfat cheese, small amounts of nuts,... I love fruit and I eat a ton of it, but all that fruit, especially without any protein eaten at the same time, will take your blood sugar on a roller-coaster ride and leave you hungry pretty soon after (at least in my experience). try pairing protein with your fruit -- an apple with a little bit of peanut butter on it, or with a piece of cheese. Also, I'd try to eat some more vegetables. Good fiber, lots of bulk for low calories. Broccoli, green beans, asparagus, carrots, sugar snap peas, cauliflower, yum yum yum!

Best of luck to you -- there are so many people to learn from here -- keep reading and you will find all the information you need to be successful -- the rest is up to you!
Got you will check the site out, more veggies, minimum fruits. Will start munching on nuts, seeds as well.

Quote:
yes i was going to say too little protein also you are doing what i was doing when i started out i would stay away from meat because i thought ooo fat bad but eating lower fat meat in small portions at each meal actually helps or some good fats I had to get the stax system because I am not good at counting calories or balancing my meals or weighing and measuring things and it makes it much much more easier for me.

Here is a great video on nutrition and diet tips:

not sure if i agree with the excerisise on an empty stomach but im not really sure about that.

I try to eat an apple or a banana before I jog in the mornings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesame7lbs View Post
Whoops -- I should have mentioned, while I love livestrong.com/ for all the food data, I suspect it WAY overestimates the calories burned during exercise. It gives much higher numbers than fitday, my heart rate monitor, or the machines at the gym -- so I enter my "calories burned" manually based on my HRM.

Edited to add: Oh, and you're a boy? DEFINITELY learn about weight lifting. As a male, you have enough testosterone to build a bunch of muscle and increase your metabolism -- which means you get to eat more food! And muscle gives nice shape to the body.
Thanks will do more reps on my arms, stomach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckchick View Post
Ooo, great advice here!

I myself haven't been doing all that well when it comes to counting calories, but I am trying to balance my food and work outs. I do agree that you need more protein, and I hope you'll be able to meet all the goals you've set for yourself!

Ok my routine at the moment is this.

Mornings.

Banana, apple - Jog/walk/run/walk for 40mins - hour. So interval training?

Lunch - Fruit bowl or salad

Dinner - Normal meal, chicken veg rice.

Evenings - I have a small meal, again chicken, rice, veg, but small portions.

Nights - Weights, reps on arms, legs, stomach.

In between all those if I do get hungry I snack on fruits and drink green tea, fruit juices.

So guys what can I do to improve this?

Last edited by Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim; 07-26-2010 at 12:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:19 PM   #12  
A Male Species

Quote:

healthstatus.com/calculate/you could try that site Also remember you don't have to burn off all of your calories for the day just keep it at a deficit of 500-1000 below your weight loss calories for the day with either what you eat or exercise. You can find what calories you should be eating by calculating it here calorieneedscalculator.com/
Going off that. First site I got.

Activity Level: Light Exercise (Exercise 1-3x/wk)
Calories burned per day: 3211

2nd website

Weight lifting - vigorous 58
Jogging 200
Walking 3 mph 249
Total Calories Burned 507

That's a big difference?

I'm estimating I am only eating 1200 - 1500 a day?
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #13  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim View Post

Mornings.

Banana, apple - Jog/walk/run/walk for 40mins - hour. So interval training?

Lunch - Fruit bowl or salad

Dinner - Normal meal, chicken veg rice.

Evenings - I have a small meal, again chicken, rice, veg, but small portions.

Nights - Weights, reps on arms, legs, stomach.

In between all those if I do get hungry I snack on fruits and drink green tea, fruit juices.

So guys what can I do to improve this?
Oh that is great you are already interval training then! Keep it up, for cardio you could do that 6 days a week if you want but should at least have one rest day so maybe Sunday or whichever day is best for you Might want to try switching up the cardio also so you don't get bored unless you really like running and walking. For weights I would suggest only doing weights on Mon Wed and Friday and resting in between also you should rotate what body parts you are lifting for those days like for example

Monday - Tricep, Chest, Shoulders, Abs

Wednesday- Bicep, Back, Abs

Friday- Legs & Butt, Abs

Find some good moves on youtube and you can change them up when you get bored of it. If your abs are still sore after the day rest switch up the ab moves for the different days so you are working a different part of the abs each time. And don't forget getting good sleep

If you want to build muscles bigger when the weights you are using become too easy for you don't forget to up your weight a little.

your muscles need time to rest to build and you shouldn't work a sore muscle this will give enough time for them to rest inbetween for maximum growth. Try to eat some protein after your weight training also no more than 30 mins to an hour after if possible.

For breakfast you could have some egg whites with whatever veggies you want in them like peppers or onion or spinach whatever you like. Then you would be getting some protein in also fruit is just a carb. You can fry it in some olive oil which is a good fat and helps fight off cravings to have a little bit of fat in your meal. A good tip to cut the oil down really low is put some olive oil on a paper towel and just wipe the inside of a bowl with it coating it lightly then put in egg whites and your veggies and microwave it instead they will come out perfect each time just be careful to not microwave it too long or it will blow up lol stop it and check it and then start it again till its done like a minute each time or so

So say I have 2000 calories. I should aim to burn off 2500? Not sure how it works I mean I do exercise in the mornings. Then eat healthy during the day. So lets say I burn 500 Calories in the morning I can have 1500 calories during the day? Bit confusing this?

No it would probably be very hard to burn that off in a day if you are eating the right amount of calories for weight loss already just burn 500 to 1000 calories a day and it will put you at even more of a deficit. Any exercise is good though don't have to burn a specific number each day just stay active and eat right and the weight will still come off. Nutrition is the most important and any exercise you do will just speed up the weight loss for you.

If anyone sees any problems with that please let me know I'm not that great with calories yet but that is how I believe it works lol please let me know if I am wrong guys.

Good luck to you! You are doing great!

Oh just a extra little tip for meat just remember a serving is about the size of the palm of your hand just incase you didn't know that already.

Oh and if you are drinking bottled fruit juice you might want to cut those out they are just a lot of empty calories unless you are juicing them yourself. I'd stick to water or green tea maybe put some lemon or lime in it sometimes.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #14  
Fit Chick Summer 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Boy Wants 2 Slim View Post
Going off that. First site I got.

Activity Level: Light Exercise (Exercise 1-3x/wk)
Calories burned per day: 3211

2nd website

Weight lifting - vigorous 58
Jogging 200
Walking 3 mph 249
Total Calories Burned 507

That's a big difference?

I'm estimating I am only eating 1200 - 1500 a day?
Yeah I'm not really sure how to tell how many calories burned during exercise accurately it's different for everyone, basically should just eat your good diet that's the biggest part and then just stay active and make your workout routines you follow and you will have no problem losing at a good rate.

I'm not too great with calories yet but you are a male I think 1200 to 1500 might be kinda low for you I think you could eat more but I'm not too sure how much can anyone else help him on this I think around 2000 calories maybe at least for a male you have more muscle than girls.

Oh also don't forget green veggies or the non starchy veggies green leafy especially are basically a free food especially if you don't even have dressing with them. The more of those you eat the more they will help you lose so don't have to hold back on those. Those calories won't make you fat.

Last edited by going2bskinny; 07-26-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #15  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

I agree with some of the previous posters - you need some protein... AND you need some healthy fats. A lot of those lovely vitamins in all that fruit is probably going to waste. You need some fat to absorb the fat-soluable vitamins.

I recently discovered Emerald Cocoa Roasted Almonds. Now - I have to tell you, I hate almonds. But these are delicious! I get the 100 calorie packs so I don't over eat them. They are packed with healthy fats and Vitamin E.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote