Eating Late...

• Hi everyone. I'm wondering what other people would do in this situation.

I try not to eat after 6-6:30pm since I don't really do anything/exercise in the evening. However, I get hungry by the time I go to bed around 10pm. Should I eat a little snack around 8 or so? Anyone have any ideas?

I just hate waking up in the morning with the feeling that I haven't eaten in weeks. Thanks!
  • I pretty much always eat right before bed. It's never caused a problem for me.
  • I often eat late. Never been a problem for me, either. As long as my cals are in line for the day I don't worry about when I eat them. Though, I do know that if I have a high carb snack late I will feel a little squishy in the morning still. Doesn't impact my overall weight.
  • I don't think it matters when you eat. The "No eating after X" thing is helpful for people who tend to eat mindlessly in the evening, but I don't see any virtue in starving yourself all night.

Now, if a small snack in the evening leads you to binge, then that's bad. But late calories are not somehow more fattening than earlier ones.
  • I agree with everyone who has already answered. I find I sleep better if I'm not hungry so save some calories for a late evening (after 8 pm) snack.
  • Thanks everyone! I know if I eat dinner late then I'll want to keep eating. I'll just try eating a small snack.
  • My doctor advised me not to eat after 8. I stick to this, usually eat by 7. There's one night in the week where work means I can't eat before 8:30, so I do.
    My evening meal is protein and veg., no grain carbs, and I find it keeps me full.
  • Not eating late really only effects things like heartburn or "sleep hygiene". And of course, if it triggers more eating or cravings. I've read research, and clearly there's a lot of personal story to back it up, that calories ate at 10pm are no different than calories ate at 6pm. It's total in versus total out over time. Grr... I know I'm not explaining the science behind it well, but yes, you are totally fine to have a snack late at night.
  • I've been having a light yogurt, some dry cheerios, or something light when I get home after 10pm. I'm trying to have a meal or snack every couple hours to keep my metabolism going, and like some people already said, I make sure I have my calories in line for the day so I can have something small this late. It's been working out well for me, I lost 9 pounds in the last 2 weeks.
    Plus, like caryesings said, I sleep better if my tummy isn't complaining.
  • I have to eat something right before I go to bed or else I cannot sleep. Plus, I take a lot of medication at bedtime so its better to eat something when I take that medication.

But I eat something before bed, just a small something. Its never been an issue with me.
  • I have to eat something later since I often don't go to bed until close to midnight. When I have dinner at 6pm, an additional six hours with no food equals mindless binging.

It might take some trial and error to figure out if you have issues with certain foods before bed but otherwise, I think you're pretty safe, assuming you build it into the days' calories
  • Quote: I pretty much always eat right before bed. It's never caused a problem for me.

This is me as well.
  • Quote: I pretty much always eat right before bed. It's never caused a problem for me.
    Me too -- I had dinner about 40 minutes ago (granted this was a weird day), but I almost always have a snack before bed. I think it's more important what you eat than when you eat it.