Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:03 AM   #1  

Cool Great FOOD CHOICES, but EXERCISE? Not so much...

Let me start off by saying that I'm proud of myself for doing so well. Really, I am. I've lost exactly 20 lbs since May 9th and I plan to continue. BUT...I'm not exercising hardly anymore. I was exercising 5-6 times a week, but I don't know what happened, but a couple of weeks ago I just started slacking. I still make excellent food choices and am really proud of that, but I'm really starting to beat myself up about not exercising. And now school starts in a few weeks and if I'm not motivated enough to exercise now, what will become of me during the fall semester? Any advice?
Luna1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:12 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 227/159/148

Height: 5'9"

I am currently writing a paper on the Timaeus by Plato (for school). In this ancient Greek text, Plato wrote about how one could not effectively learn without doing some sort of sport (in Greek, more commonly termed "gymnastics"). For him, it was SO important to keep the body fit through exercise and eating moderately - as it does influence the state of the mind.

So, there is some ancient advice that has really, stayed true throughout our entire human history!

OK - OK, enough of the old philosophers. From personal experience, if I don't jog and walk regularly, I have many more problems related to stress and depression creep in. I am also in school - and I have to sit on my butt SO much to finish all of my work.... I wouldn't feel balanced if I didn't really have a chance to move my body.
bonnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 191/187.6/140

Height: 5'3"

I am waiting to see what comments people have for you as I had contemplated posting something very similar. For the first two months, I exercised everyday. Now, while I am still on plan with calories, I don't exercise at all. I am still losing and until I stop, I won't be too worried about it.
BecomingMaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:56 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

People have different ideas of what constitues "exercise." It doesn't have to be a spin class, an hour on an inclined treadmill, or other very strenuous activities. It can be a half-hour brisk walk at work or school or beforehand. It can be a 30 minute DVD workout. It can be a short weights routine. It can be a 20 minute circuit with weight machines at a gym.

So maybe try something different, something that's enjoyable?

Not exercising while losing weight can mean that a person loses muscle. You know that old saying, "Use it or lose it." It applies in this case. Everyone loses some lean body mass when losing weight--it's unavoidable--but exercising helps retain more muscle. And muscle is a fat-burning tissue!

So, try to work in some physical activity during the day, even when you're busy. You'll feel better, you'll be less stressed, and your metabolism will be improved.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Luna and BecomingMaggie, it sounds to me like you were both exercising a lot, and then maybe burned out on it? BTDT, so many times...

People 'round here say it is 80% diet and 20% exercise to lose, and I know as someone who has tried to lose many times on exercise alone, it really does come down to the food.

That said, exercise is important for so many reasons -- cardiovascular health, bone density, etc. But it is also key to maintenance. I love this article from the NY Times about the role of exercise in weight loss and maintenance. And remember, it's not worth all this work losing the weight if we don't keep it off! (If you can't read the article, PM me and I'll send it. It's really interesting!)

I agree with JayEll... rethink what it means to exercise, and also how often you have to do it. It doesn't have to be the gym 5-7 days a week. Go for a walk with a friend -- you'll have so much fun chatting you won't even notice that it's good for you! Do hand weights during your TV watching and planks during the commercials (I love doing this because it turns a sedentary, "bad" activity into something that's good for me -- hurrah!). Specifically, find something you enjoy and do it enough to see some benefits (defined arms! not so tired on the stairs!) but not so much that you are exhausted, dreading it, etc.
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/115

Height: 4'10"

This is going to seem maybe a little silly, but I use audiobooks to keep myself exercising. I get myself an audio book I think I might really enjoy, and I listen to that while I do my workouts. But I ONLY listen to them when I am exercising. So if its a really good one (and there are some really wonderful ones out there, of all genres) I don't get to hear how the story comes out unless I get my butt moving. Not only does it get me motivated to start my workout, but it often gets me to push a little longer so I can finish the next exciting part, or what have you. Your can purchase them ( a bit pricey), you can borrow them from your local library, you can borrow them from friends, and there are also rental clubs online that mail them to you for a monthly fee, just like movies. If anyone wants to know some really good ones just lemme know. I can give you nice long lists of GREAT audio books. If you get one you are really getting into, it makes the workout time just fly by.
TornadoSiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:19 AM   #7  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

What's worked best for me is setting a goal of a certain number of minutes for a month -- I'll be doing it today or tomorrow for August. I like that because if I miss a day here and there, I can make it up and still meet my goal. I keep track on the monthly exercise thread in the Chicks up for a Challenge support group. It really helps keep me motivated. And, when I meet my monthly exercise goal, I reward myself with a new workout DVD, or a new Wii game, or new workout clothes.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:13 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 227/Ticker/147

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoSiren View Post
This is going to seem maybe a little silly, but I use audiobooks to keep myself exercising. I get myself an audio book I think I might really enjoy, and I listen to that while I do my workouts. But I ONLY listen to them when I am exercising. So if its a really good one (and there are some really wonderful ones out there, of all genres) I don't get to hear how the story comes out unless I get my butt moving. Not only does it get me motivated to start my workout, but it often gets me to push a little longer so I can finish the next exciting part, or what have you. Your can purchase them ( a bit pricey), you can borrow them from your local library, you can borrow them from friends, and there are also rental clubs online that mail them to you for a monthly fee, just like movies. If anyone wants to know some really good ones just lemme know. I can give you nice long lists of GREAT audio books. If you get one you are really getting into, it makes the workout time just fly by.
What a wonderful idea, thank you!!!
fashinjunkie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:09 PM   #9  

I agree, the audio book idea is great!

Also, I was working out a lot, but I thought I needed to do that in order to really make it a habit. Didn't quite work out that way.

I agree that lean muscle mass is the way to go, and an increase in metabolism is what I need. Also, exercise DOES help with maintaining weight loss (been down this road before a couple of times.)

I think my overall problem is that I'm bored. My routine consisted of a treadmill. That's it. As much as I love walking, the same activity with the same MP3 tracks gets old...fast. So maybe I'll shake things up a bit.

And Bonnnie...thanks for the Platonian insight! I'm a huge nerd, so if exercising will help my learning and retention, I'm all for it!
Luna1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

you got alot of good advice. I would stick with the key ones for motivation.

Lack of exercise-especially weight bearing--means loss of lean body mass

loss of lean body mass means loss of metabolism= easier to gain weight once lost.

lack of exercise also means you have less of an outlet for stress--which means you have a worse mood, and don't get the endorphin kick from working out.

by the way, the audio book thing is great!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 144/130/115

Height: 5'4"

This is kind of similar to the audio book idea, but the way I keep myself exercising is with my iphone. I'm a bit of a reality tv junkie (especially Biggest Loser) so I download the episodes onto my phone from itunes and only allow myself to watch when I'm working out. I find it really motivating and makes time on the treadmill pass much quicker. Also, when I really want to find out who got eliminated I have to work out!

And Carly, thanks for that link to the website where you can post your miles. I think that will really help me keep on track with my running!
JenB is offline   Reply With Quote