Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-26-2010, 10:23 AM   #1  
Super Single Mom

S/C/G: HW/SW 275/ CW 266.2 /GW 160

Height: 5'7"

Default Proper Calorie Intake

Hi All,

I have realized that some things needed to be tweaked with my diet and exercise program. I am on the sidelines for a bit with exercise due to a couple of injuries. After a small period (4 days or so) of blaming everything else that I can and binging, I have now realized that all is NOT lost and that this experience is meant to teach me the evident things that I need to tweak in order for this to be a successful lifestyle change.

First and foremost, I think my calorie number was too low. I am 5'8 and weigh about 230. I had my calories set at 1200 and from what I've read this morning, I should realistically have them set in the range of 1400 - 1500? Does this sound right to you guys?

When I get back in the saddle of the gym, I know my calories will need to be slightly adjusted again, won't they? I am just curious of a good starting number that is healthy and not too restrictive as I think that was part of my problem previously. I would feel hungry in the evenings and found myself eating.

I look forward to your advice and support! Thanks gang!
Vixsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:54 AM   #2  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

You can always do a little trial and error. If 1500 seems to low - try 1600 or 1700. Also, watch the quality of you are eating - meaning, 100 calories of crackers is a lot different than 100 calories of broccolli.

I am finding that it doesn't have to be all or nothing - if 1500 is too low, I can try 1800. It doesn't have to be 1500 or foget it and go off plan. If one day, I need an extra snack, that is ok. If I have a "bad" meal, then I just need to be more dilligent about my veggies the next day.

If you are hungry in the evenings - try planning a larger dinner (with more veggies!) or try planning for a healthful snack in the evenings.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:26 AM   #3  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I also advocate experimentation. I was losing weight at 240 eating around 1800-2000 calories a day, but I was also exercising. I think it's an excellent plan to up your calories to 1500 or so and see how you do. If you're losing weight more quickly than a couple of pounds a week and, especially, if you're hungry a lot, you may want to add another 100 or 200 calories a day.

Evening eating was a problem for me, too. I eventually fixed it by getting enough calories in earlier in the day, but also saving a 100 calories or so for an evening snack, that I call dessert (whether it's sweet or not) and mentally closing the kitchen for the night after that.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:32 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

I'd also advocate playing with it. As I've said recently, you have to listen to your body. The calculators can be wrong. Toss in that for some reason, a lot of people lose quicker at slightly higher numbers. The only way to know for sure how something will work for you is to try it. Look at it this way, I don't think you'll be doing any harm in trying the 1400-1500, and it's much easier to lower than to raise, because starting too low can do more harm.

Also, the hungry thing: being hungry is not always a sign that your calorie limit is wrong. It could also mean your diet is wrong.
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote