Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:39 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 195/*ticker*/123

Height: 5'2"

I'm 23 but a junior in college (took me a while to settle ) anyways, I found college to be so hard to stay on track! I was working and in school and in my free time I studied and got around 5 hours of sleep night. Needless to say I wasn't working out and making terrible diet choices. So I have worked on this summer making exercise a part of daily life so when my schedule gets busy it won't feel like something I am adding on top of everything else, but rather something I am used to doing everyday and making my other life happenings fit around it.

But you said exercise wasn't an issue for you, so I would just focus on making sure you think about what you are eating. I know it's not easy when lessons and tests are occupying your mind. I decided this year to start taking lunches to school because I would either just skip meals then binge once I got home, or eat what was close and quick on campus--- usually not healty options. I even got a cute insulated bag so I can take cold stuff like carrots and fruit. (I'm in school alllll day so I would always have to bring non perishabes since I don't live near campus)
AshleighAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:55 PM   #17  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/125

Height: 5'3"

I'm 21 and heading into my senior year...which reminds me, question for you ladies:

How do you deal with dining hall food? I still live in the dorms, meaning I don't have access to a kitchen and need to eat dining hall food. My school's dining hall always tries to have one "healthy" option, but 50% of the time it's either a) inedible compared to everything else or b) a side dish, like steamed carrots. Our dining halls are big on "comfort food," so it seems like everything else there is loaded with carbs and fat (like macaroni and cheese, pizza, and french fries). I only started eating healthily this summer, so it's my first year having to worry about this. Any advice?
PlaygroundLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:11 PM   #18  

Okay, a little bit older...27. But I'm in my senior year of college, majoring in Journalism.
Luna1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 320+/See Ticker/135

Height: 5'5"

Does your dining hall have a salad bar? with maybe just plain grilled chicken/ fish/ turkey? Maybe just choosing 2 out of 3 meals a day to stay away from that "comfort food"... that would make a really big difference. =) It's definitely hard, I understand. That food is so easy and tastes a lot better then the other options. Also, maybe getting breakfast bars or protein shakes to have for breakfast? Fruit, veggies, and lean meats are always a good option. (It's a lot easier said than done, of course... but you can do it!!)
lylmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #20  
One pound at a time...

S/C/G: 214/TICKER/125

Height: 5'3"

They have a salad bar, but it doesn't have any protein options--it's just a variety of veggies (which I am definitely planning on loading my plate down with). What I meant earlier is that in the line of entrees, there's usually ONE "healthy" option (like a piece of fish or chicken), but some days the only healthy option is actually a side dish--not an entree at all.

I do, at least, have a fridge and a microwave, so I think my game plan is to keep it stocked with things like cold cuts and greek yogurt. That way I can always have back up options, and I won't need to rely on the dining hall quite as much. Hmmm...I guess I'll just have to plan carefully!
PlaygroundLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:11 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 144/122.4/healthy for life

Height: 5' 7.5"

I'm a college student! Going into my junior year as an English major and Secondary Licensure candidate (meaning I will hopefully graduate with an English degree and a Tennessee state teaching license).
For all you college 3FC folks, what are your best cafeteria-eating tricks and tips?
oneoftwelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

hey! going on 24 here shortly (omg.. i cant believe that is my real number AHH!)

5'6 - 189 as of this morning! woot woot.

Not in college or anything, waiting for when my DH is out of school and i MIGHT go back no idea though.

WELCOME, you will love ALL the ladies and gents on here no matter the age all are welcoming and ready to try and help!
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:42 PM   #23  
Going, going, gone

S/C/G: 295/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

At 28, I am near the end of my 20's but still in college (graduate school at least). I don't live in the dorms but do deal with school fare when I'm having a long session at the library or something. Here in CA we always have a lot of vegetarian, vegetable and fresh fruit choices, so making those calls isn't particularly difficult. But staying away from all the other unhealthy, high-fat foods is hard sometimes. I go for the salad bar, order hot vegetables or have a veggie wrap made. Sometimes I have a healthy sandwich or something with black beans from the Mexican food section. It can be tough sometimes but it is definitely do-able. Good luck to all you new students this year!
asharksrevenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:58 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 285/180/160

Height: 5'9"

I had a lot of trouble when I lived in the dorms and was never able to successfully diet. However, we almost as had an option (if I was willing to look at it)...grilled chicken sandwiches, salads, etc. A plain burger with no fries or cheese isn't horrible. Watch out for portion sizes...ours were always HUGE.
Or you could always buy grilled chicken at the store, get a big pile of veggies from the school meals and combine the two.
duckyyellowfeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #25  
Graceful Loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carosmith14 View Post
Sorry for double posting, but I have a question for Hamoco:
I see that you've lost 72 pounds! GOOD FOR YOU! Can I ask you these questions: how long did it take you, do you have any before/during/after pics that you'd be willing to share, and do you have your eating/working/dieting schedule that you'd be willing to share? I'm still in the market for ideas on how to finally lose this weight, and I could use all the help I can get!

Congrats! -Caroline
Wow, it took me quite a long time to reply. I'm sorry for that, I've been on vacation.

I started losing weight September 27th of last year. So it's been nearly a year for me; and of course, I still have a long way to go.

As for before/during/after pics: I have some, but I haven't decided if I'll be posting them or not. I'm a pretty private person and I don't really want to post my picture on the internet. If anyone wants to see my before and after pics they can IM me for that and I'd be happy to oblige them.

I do not stick to a rigorous schedule. I just started by cutting out things that I did not need, AKA: useless calories. So out went soda and butter. I was also weary of sodium so I stopped having as much salt. Simple cut backs at first led to cutting out all meat except for fish. After that I began buying as much organic food as financially possible. I just began eating healthier instead of dieting, so I transitioned into a lifestyle change instead of a typical diet.

I am rather intuitive about my eating habits. When I am hungry, I eat. That's really all there is to it. Counting calories bores me, although I certainly do take note of calorie content most of the time.

Exercising has become fun and like a form of therapy. I found things that I enjoy doing - for example, lifting weights is my favorite form of exercise. I also love swimming, tennis, treadmill workouts, and a ton of different things which keep me interested. I refused to force myself to do things I hated. For example, I can't stand jumping jacks so I rarely do them unless I want a challenge.

My whole thing was I had reached a dead end. I had used up all my excuses, I was terribly unhappy, and I just knew it was necessary. My physical and mental health was not in the shape it needed to be in. The biggest part of successfully losing weight is being ready to change.

Feel free to ask anything else! Good luck.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 200/200/130

Hamaco-
Thanks so much for sharing. I completely understand about the pictures (I'm not too sure if I'll ever post any!).
I like that you have made this is a lifestyle change and that you do things that you enjoy (ie working out in various forms). Usually I just stick to a run on the treadmill as a form of working out, but I'm burnt out on that, so I need to find something new to satisfy that workout craving.

Thanks so much, and keep up the good work!

-Caroline
carosmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:27 AM   #27  
doing it for me

S/C/G: 163/190/125

Height: 5'6"

Hi! I'm 18 and about to start my second year at university studying Musical Theatre
I'm aiming to lose another 5 pounds before starting back at school again on the 2nd of September, and I want to be at my GW of 127 pounds before May 2011, when my cousin is getting married.
I'm so glad someone had the good idea to start this thread! I've been wandering around here tryign to find people around my age, but I don't think there's that many of us! :P
I'd really love to have a buddy or group to keep me accountable for everything I eat/exercise, maybe we could start something on here?
Good luck to everyone!
katylil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #28  
doing it for me

S/C/G: 163/190/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaygroundLove View Post
How do you deal with dining hall food? I still live in the dorms, meaning I don't have access to a kitchen and need to eat dining hall food. My school's dining hall always tries to have one "healthy" option, but 50% of the time it's either a) inedible compared to everything else or b) a side dish, like steamed carrots. Our dining halls are big on "comfort food," so it seems like everything else there is loaded with carbs and fat (like macaroni and cheese, pizza, and french fries). I only started eating healthily this summer, so it's my first year having to worry about this. Any advice?
UGH I know EXACTLY what you mean! I was already overweight to start with but this past year (my first) at uni my residence halls were on a catered basis, so all my food was provided, and, same as you, the only options available most of the time were "comfort foods" such as chips, pizza, cheesy pastas...I gained an extra ten pounds. Nightmare!
All I can suggest is fill up on salad as much as possible, keep some healthy snacks in your room to keep you full, and take advantage of lean meats/fish whenever they're available.
Good luck!
katylil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #29  
Not Giving Up

S/C/G: 167/145/110

Height: 5'0''

Hi! Welcome. I'm 20 and a junior in college! I'm 5'0 too! Losing weight in college isn't easy, but it's not impossible either. My school's cafeteria food is GROSS so I don't like eating more than the basics there. That's been helpful. Going to the gym is sort of intimidating, though. Good luck and you can do it!
chemicalksm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #30  

I am 22 and just graduated from university. It may be difficult to balance going to the gym and eating healthy food in college, but with determination you can do it =D
conanedogawa is offline   Reply With Quote