3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Back at my High School Weight (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/208072-back-my-high-school-weight.html)

jennyplain 07-24-2010 11:22 PM

Back at my High School Weight

The subject line says it all. Looking at my ticker, it may be hard to believe, but 224 is what the scale said the first time I ever stepped on it at Weight Watchers, when I was all of fourteen years old. Granted, I was a couple of inches shorter, but that number has always stuck in my mind as something of a "goal", because for the past eleven years (nearly half my life!), life has been a series of yo-yo diets.

My first time on WW, I dropped down to about 205. Then in senior year, I skyrocketed back up to probably close to 260. In college, I fluctuated, going from 230-250. After college, I continued to fluctuate until I hit my high weight of 267, got diagnosed with PCOS, and started taking weight loss seriously. It stopped being "too hard" and I stopped finding excuses not to exercise or eat right. In the past six months, I've dropped forty-three pounds, and I can now look at the scale and see where I am going.

If I could go back in time and talk to that fourteen year old, I would have so many things to say to her. No, it is not easy. No, you can't give up every time mom or dad says something that discourages you. No, it's not fair that your friends are skinny and you're fat and you can't eat a giant slice of chocolate cake when you go out on Friday night. But knowing how I was when I was fourteen, I don't think I would have listened to myself. I had a massive persecution complex, which I think is pretty common at that age. Everything was always everyone else's fault, and I was always blameless.

Now, though, at twenty-five, I can appreciate that fourteen year old, because I think that her failures, and my subsequent yo-yo dieting ever since, have all taught me something. Those lessons, combined with a medical scare and a good therapist, have allowed me to be really and truly successful this time around. Taking weight off the right way, and taking it one day at a time.

So thanks, fourteen-year-old me. And stop wearing so much eyeliner - you look like a raccoon!

skygirl 07-24-2010 11:31 PM

whoo-hoo! that totally rocks! congrats! :)

Onederchic 07-24-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennyplain (Post 3402595)
The subject line says it all. Looking at my ticker, it may be hard to believe, but 224 is what the scale said the first time I ever stepped on it at Weight Watchers, when I was all of fourteen years old. Granted, I was a couple of inches shorter, but that number has always stuck in my mind as something of a "goal", because for the past eleven years (nearly half my life!), life has been a series of yo-yo diets.

My first time on WW, I dropped down to about 205. Then in senior year, I skyrocketed back up to probably close to 260. In college, I fluctuated, going from 230-250. After college, I continued to fluctuate until I hit my high weight of 267, got diagnosed with PCOS, and started taking weight loss seriously. It stopped being "too hard" and I stopped finding excuses not to exercise or eat right. In the past six months, I've dropped forty-three pounds, and I can now look at the scale and see where I am going.

If I could go back in time and talk to that fourteen year old, I would have so many things to say to her. No, it is not easy. No, you can't give up every time mom or dad says something that discourages you. No, it's not fair that your friends are skinny and you're fat and you can't eat a giant slice of chocolate cake when you go out on Friday night. But knowing how I was when I was fourteen, I don't think I would have listened to myself. I had a massive persecution complex, which I think is pretty common at that age. Everything was always everyone else's fault, and I was always blameless.

Now, though, at twenty-five, I can appreciate that fourteen year old, because I think that her failures, and my subsequent yo-yo dieting ever since, have all taught me something. Those lessons, combined with a medical scare and a good therapist, have allowed me to be really and truly successful this time around. Taking weight off the right way, and taking it one day at a time.

So thanks, fourteen-year-old me. And stop wearing so much eyeliner - you look like a raccoon!

Fantastic!!

As for what I bolded in your post - it cracked me up :lol:

Cglasscock1 07-25-2010 12:26 AM

What a great post! Congrats on your milestone weight today and good for you for putting a grateful slant on lessons learned! Too often we want to push away memories of things that didn't go well in our lives, when those experiences are what made us who we are today. Good luck in your final journey to goal.

Losing It 2010 07-25-2010 07:41 AM

Hey neighbor, good job and keep up the great work

jennyplain 07-25-2010 12:32 PM

Thanks everyone! Onederchick, glad I could give you a laugh! I seriously cringe when I look at pictures from back then - I was so tortured and goth, lol.

Ms GenghisCohen 07-25-2010 02:02 PM

Congratulations on reaching such a milestone!

Also, we're about the same age, and back in the day I totally had the dark eyeliner, and some big pants and giant shoes to match. I looked like a raccoon at a rave. The late 90s were not a good time style wise...

It's really great that you can take so much strength and insight from your past. Keep up the good work and enjoy this brand new territory!

Aclai4067 07-25-2010 10:58 PM

Congrats! My story is fairly similar except for my first time at WW being slightly younger and my highest weight being, well, quite higher. But I've reached the point of getting smaller than I was senior year of high school. I have a ways to go to get to my lowest HS weight (the weight that is still on my driver's license) 205!

duckchick 07-25-2010 11:38 PM

Fantastic! Good luck in all you do! :carrot:

ewimsatt 07-26-2010 12:04 AM

Congrats, Jenny!

I bought new pants this last Friday and was able to buy the same size pants I wore when I graduated from high school in '96! :)

I know I am not the same weight yet, but should be by mid-Fall.

Keep at it

TXMary2 07-26-2010 08:37 AM

WTG Jenny!

When I was 14 I had a "perfect body" and yet I thoughj I was fat. Oh, and I was in high school in the 80's and for me it was too much blue eye shadow!