Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 219/219/147

Default Here goes

I weighed in this morning and I'm 15st 9lb. I have 5st 2lb to lose. Here's to the new me, however long it takes. I'm not going to set myself a target because I don't want the added pressure.

My first target is 15st. So to begin with I have 9lb to lose. Wish me luck.
Mrs Rock Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Good luck. And welcome. And hello another UK member.

I think you're very wise not set a goal date - you're right, it just brings pressure. I like the idea of setting small chunks of weight at a time.

Have you planned how you're going to do it?
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:41 AM   #3  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

welcome! and good luck on your journey!
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:03 PM   #4  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Welcome and good luck
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #5  

I'm going to try and do this by just watching what I eat. I'm fortunate that my hubby is on board with me, although he doesn't want to lose weight, he just knows how much this means to me. Thanks for all your good wishes. Hopefully I'll do it this time.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hi. I'm so glad that you're here. Welcome, welcome.

Quote:
Hopefully I'll do it this time.
You CAN do this. You don't have to hope for it to happen, because you can indeed MAKE it happen. You've got the ability to lose the weight. We all do. It IS something that you can control.

I know we are all different, but *for me*, "watching myself", "cutting back", "taking smaller portions", never worked. I personally need the built in accountability and the FORCED portion control of calorie counting.

I'm afraid that *watching myself* may be too loose of a plan. Too open ended, not enough structure and guidance.

I also highly recommend making a plan for the day. Mopping out your food schedule in ADVANCE. Having the right foods on hand, so that when you are hungry, you'll know exactly what you're eating and you'll have that good choice available to you. "Failing to plan is planning to fail". Losing weight won't happen on it's own. It doesn't happen by accident. It takes a continuous, concerted, conscientious effort.

It was also essential to me, to rid my home of all the foods that I overrate, and craved the most. Wanting to do this was not enough - I had to set myself up for success and give myself the best chance possible. I had a HARD time (impossible) stopping once I started eating many foods - my solution - don't start. Problem solved. 165 lbs lost and kept off for 3+ years. Though I rid the house of the junk, I filled it up with tons of lower calorie, healthy DELICIOUS foods. And yes my tastes changed. When I gave up the junk, after a couple of hard weeks, my cravings for them decreased immensely. The longer I went without them, the less and less I wanted them. It was nothing short of miraculous to me.

I look forward to hearing of your progress.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #7  

WTG Rockinrobin! You are an inspiration.

I find it hard to rid the house of all that I eat in overmoderation though because I feel like I'm depriving the children of goodies by doing that, so I think I will just have to be strong and hold out.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Rock Chick View Post
I find it hard to rid the house of all that I eat in overmoderation though because I feel like I'm depriving the children of goodies by doing that, so I think I will just have to be strong and hold out.
Of course we are all different, but I tried that strategy for years, decades in fact and it just doesn't work. The definition of insanity - doing the same thing over and over again, yet expecting a different result. I couldn't rely on my strength - I was done being fat. I had to look at my history and I knew a change had to occur. A big one. I had to set myself up for success. You can't eat it is it's not there. I am a sugar addict. And like any addict, we don't do moderation. Just ask any alcoholic. Obviously, I've gotten a grip on it to a very large extent, but it's still there and there will be certain foods that will NEVER enter my home.

I have learned that it is no deprivation in not eating *junk*. I have learned that the deprivation is EATING the junk - and remaining fat.

So though I got rid of the *junk* , no one was deprived. I taught myself and my family what a real *goodie* is. It's foods that taste GREAT and are GREAT for you. We had to rethink what a treat is. There is always delicious foods on hand here for snacking - in season fruits, baked apples with walnuts, cinnamon, maple syrup and raisins, poached pears, cut up veggies and salsa, fat free yogurt, sugar free jello, frozen banana slices, popcorn...

Those other treats, the cookies, cake, etc - the sugar/fat laden ones - those are once in a while things. Not every day things.

If you feel that you must have stuff on hand for the kids, I would hope that you would make it a minimal amount and make it the stuff that really doesn't call out to you. I'd also urge you to think of it as *their* food, it's their's, not yours, it's not intended for you, it's not earmarked for you. I'd make it a DEFINITE NO. This way you don't make an option to even START eating it.

It really isn't about going on a diet, but about overhauling your lifestyle, losing the bad habits and incorporating new healthy habits into it. You're looking to create a new normal. For you and your family.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #9  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Here's another way of looking at it. If the "goodies" aren't good for you, they're not good for your family either! Let them finish the "goodies" in the house and do not buy any more.

Last edited by losermom; 07-18-2010 at 09:22 AM.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote