Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 PM   #1  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

Default Thoughts on a YMCA membership?

My town has exactly one gym, and it's a Curves gym. I've done Curves before and it wasn't for me. The only other indoor exercise option for me at the moment would be a membership to the local YMCA (or I guess they're officially just "The Y" now, but anyway...). I am just wondering if it's worth it, because it's so expensive. Especially since it would make the most sense for me to get the family membership for me, dh and our two girls. So I was wondering if anyone here has a membership to their YMCA, and if you can tell me whether you like it or not, and if you have kids and they're members, whether they like it or not too! Thanks!

(Oh, and if this is posted in the wrong place, please move it, I wasn't sure where to post it!)
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:09 AM   #2  
I love my muscles!

S/C/G: 169/149/135

Height: 5' 5 1/4"

we're members at the Y and love it. I love the casual atmosphere, and all the programs are dirt cheap too. IE swim lessons for the kids are only $40 instead of $80, ballet lessons $25 a months (were paying $55 at a dance school.

I also have pre-school aged 2 children and they like the Child Watch, rock climbing wall, and of course the pools!

My Y has a lot of swim meets, and the parking lot gets swamped, but that's pretty much the only down side. It gets pretty busy in the morning, but I just adjusted the time that I go. I also like circuit training class, yoga, and water classes. I also want to try zumba and aerobics

If it were just me and the kids, it would be the same price to join Lifetime (very plush luxurious gym--oh gosh, the marble bathrooms!!!), but to add on DH at the Y is only $15 a month, instead of an extra $50. So I think it's a good deal Oh, and you can work out at any Y with your membership, so if you travel or whatever, you can still hit the gym. If it were just me and the kids, we'd probably go to Lifetime, but I'd rather pay $15 extra a month for him instead of $50 extra, so we stay there.

Last edited by pinkflower; 07-15-2010 at 12:10 AM.
pinkflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #3  
Bella Signora ♥

Height: 5'4.5''

I have a membership at the Y and I love it too!
The people at the YMCA that I go to are really nice.
They also allow a guest to come. (Each person with
a membership can bring their own guest)

I also love the fact that there are all shapes
and sizes at the Y and nobody cares what you
look like. They're all there for one reason- to make
a difference in their lives. Getting a membership
for me was the best thing I could do.
Ciao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:01 AM   #4  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Another vote for the Y. Love the variety of activities available and the variety of people that work out there. I was never self conscious about being the biggest person there in the beginning.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Me too! I love the atmosphere at the Y. People are so supportive and I always feel comfortable there. I credit them with helping me get so into exercise. They didn't really "help" me as much as create a supportive environment.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 211/130/140

Height: 5'-8"

I love my Y. It is a more laid back attitude than the chain gyms and hard core fitness centres in my town. Love the variety of fitness classes they offer and how they are constantly changing them up. Love that they will adjust monthly fees for lower incomes. Love that you get one free personal training session per month.

Only thing I wish is that the cardio room had more tv's so I could distract myself easier...ah to dream.
Cally Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #7  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

My hubby & I had a 3-yr membership at the Y. It was fine - for the most part. But when I did the math... I realized that in 3 years, we could have paid for our own home gym... so we canceled our membership & did just that - bought a home gym. Of course, we have our bikes & nice 'hood to walk in, etc. We also got a pool, & I love to swime! -so there's that.

Best financial decision we made concerning exercise. But I understand not everyone has the room & so forth for such. All in all, I'd say the Y is an excellent choice for membership - esp. if you have kids (we don't.)
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #8  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

My Y has a month by month membership (about $50), with a one-time intiation fee. They don't require a long term committment. If you go certain times a day, it can be cheaper (if you have that flexibility). My insurance gives me a discount, certain employers have that offer, you can check with your Y.

I'm another big fan. I don't have kids, but ours is very family oriented. Lots of exercise classes and programs for kids of all ages.

I find it to be generally laid back, with people of all ages and sizes. The equipment is good (variety and quality; we have a pool), they have personal trainers to use or not use (extra charges for that), and people on the floor you can get advice from or ask q's. I've found it to be a hands off type of place, exercise wise, unless you seek it out.

I love going to the Y. I find it relaxing and it puts me in a positive state of mind.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 07-15-2010 at 10:16 AM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #9  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

Height: 5'0"

I USED to have a membership at the Y (before this new, cheaper gym moved in, it's only $10 a month!!!). It was okay. Pricey, fore sure. Personally, I recommend working your way up to a gym and do what you can do without one (P90x, 30 Day Shred, C25k if it's not too hot out, jump rope, 100 push up challenge) and once you exaugst those cheaper options, THEN move onto the gym.
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #10  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Default love the Y

I love my Y too! I worked up to the membership, working out at home on my exercise bike, going on walks, using my weight machine. . . .But it got too much trying to balance the kids and working out. My Y is great. The childcare room is wonderful (free childcare for 1.5 hours). Its been a great opportunity to get my kids swimming (my daughter is 7 now, and is on the Swim team!) my 4 year old is almost swimming 25 yards.

We have a few gyms to choose from around here, but our Y is the greatest bang for our buck.
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:42 PM   #11  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 221-3/4/152/160

Height: 5 ft 2 inches

I love my YMCA...if you are on Humana (which I am since I'm 77) you can get a free membership thru the Silver Sneakers program. I love this place...I do water walking with a group and swim laps afterward. The place has a huge gym, walking track, sauna, dressing rooms for families, women, and men...everyone is sooo nice.
pumpkyparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #12  

I absolutely LOVE the Y!! The town I'm in now doesn't have one, but when I lived in Kansas, I would go every single day to work out, and my kids loved it too. During the summer they had a Kids Klub program from 9-11 am, so my kids would go to Kids Klub while I worked out. We would go home, have lunch, and go back for swimming when the pool opened at 1. We more than got our money's worth! They also offered all kinds of programs and sports that my kids took part in. It really is a worthwhile investment and it can get the whole family moving.
mthrgoos68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #13  
the aly bagel

Height: 5'8"

I have a membership and I love it. Very nice, state of the art gym. Most people are very kind and keep to themselves, and the price (where I am) is pretty cheap compared to the other gyms. Also, you have the option of classes and using the pool for alternatives.

I honestly think it is worth it, as long as you go at least a few times a week. I know it has definitely helped in my weight loss. Actually, I don't think I would have lost at all without it!

Hope that helps~
schubunny is offline   Reply With Quote