Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:45 PM   #16  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressca View Post

Then I was embarrassed to eat lunch in front of her, only to have her described some fantastic chicken available in her part of town that she loves, only "You wouldn't be able to have it because it's drenched in butter."

Omg you have better control than me cause I think I might've gently pinched her side & said "I can see that!!" with a big
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #17  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I am sorry your MIL is so rude. Do your best to let it go. {{hugs}} for you!
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #18  
Workin' It

I'm sorry that she said that. People are so tactless. Second Midwife's response.

So I can't figure out what 'L' word got censored out in the title, saw another one in a reply. Is it s name that ends in something that spells a censored word?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 271/202/??

Height: 4'10"

((((((hugs))))))))))
kendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #20  

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
So I can't figure out what 'L' word got censored out in the title, saw another one in a reply. Is it s name that ends in something that spells a censored word?
lol... I've been wondering about that too!
Rhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:57 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Wow, your MIL really lacks tact. I'm sorry.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 AM   #22  

Height: 5'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
I'm sorry that she said that. People are so tactless. Second Midwife's response.

I'm guessing that she just didn't want to reveal her full (real) name in this forum and starred it out herself? Just a guess, though.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #23  
Graceful Loser

You know, I was just thinking about something earlier and now this thread has reminded me.

It's like people (who don't deal with weight issues) can't find a medium between being too outspoken and too reserved when talking about the weight of other people. I had a friend over today who seemed almost anxious about asking me if I had lost weight. She stuttered it out and then kind of blushed over it, like it could really offend me. Others have also had similar reactions, in which they seemed almost afraid to say anything.

Then on the flipside, I've had people in my life like your MIL. People who were quick to say the words "big", "chunky", and treat me like a sub human or alien from another planet all because of my weight! It's crazy.

Just remember that when you reach your goal weight, you'll have the last laugh.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:59 AM   #24  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

LOL--you were making her food right? LOL! Well, how about a nice cold glass of milk made from 1/2 full fat cream for her? How about extra butter and sugar and lard in anything you can put it in for her?

There are ways my dear! There are ways to deal with this! LOL
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #25  
Lady-in-training!

S/C/G: Heaviest: 215/202/168/130

Height: 5'5"

Thighs be Gone, that was hilarious. In all seriousness though, I do see similar tensions and rudeness all across my families between female in-laws, and during get-togethers, torrents of passive agressive comments, backhanded compliments, and outright rudeness have always surfaced in some form. Just trying to reinforce, as others have said, that you are not alone, and I'm sure the MIL-puts-down-DIL is a phenomenon that's as old as marriage.

That said, I'm sure how much of a witch she can be , she probably didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
gtech2mit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 08:54 AM   #26  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Wow, chickies, thanks for all the responses. Some made me laugh, and some made me sad, but you've all made me feel a LOT better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icmethinner View Post
Then after giving birth, my aunt came to visit, brought a friend with her who had not met me and said, "L***** used to be so pretty... I don't know what happened to her."
This ^^. Sheesh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwife View Post
Wow.

That's when you let your eyes widen and your jaw drop just a little bit. And then you say, "OMG, you just said that outloud. You must be so embarassed." And then you let a smile play around your mouth and shake your head like she's totally delusional and you are simply humoring her utter lack of social skills.
Loved it, Midwife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKelly View Post

Omg you have better control than me cause I think I might've gently pinched her side & said "I can see that!!" with a big
Unfortunately, she's tiny and skinny. TOO skinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
It's my name, because you know *insert ironic tone here* if I put my real name in, everyone in the world from now on is going to know that I'm L**** from 3FC and my MIL told me I'd gained weight!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thighs Be Gone View Post
LOL--you were making her food right? LOL! Well, how about a nice cold glass of milk made from 1/2 full fat cream for her? How about extra butter and sugar and lard in anything you can put it in for her?
I should've put garlic in something; she says she hates it, can't stand it, always knows when it's present, yet she loves dill pickles... with garlic!

Last edited by Fressca; 07-13-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #27  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

LOL midwife and mandalinn!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #28  

S/C/G: size 16/14/8

Height: 5'2"

Honestly, I don't mind people who are completely blunt or lack that "socially polite" filter between their brain and their mouth. I find it kind of refreshing. They'll tell you if you have toilet paper stuck to your shoe!

What I DON'T like are those people who are just saying rude things to be controlling and hurtful.

Is your MIL just as "blunt" and "unfiltered" with her compliments or is it only the insults? If she is just as fast and loose with the good things as she is the bad things, then I wouldn't worry about it. If, however, she never has anything good to say about you, that is completely different.
SamanthaBea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #29  
Muscle Memory

S/C/G: 188/179/128

Height: 5'2"

wow, really sorry you had to put up with that. not cool. hope you are feeling better.
skygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #30  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fressca View Post
It's my name, because you know *insert ironic tone here* if I put my real name in, everyone in the world from now on is going to know that I'm L**** from 3FC and my MIL told me I'd gained weight!!
Ah, gotcha.

I'm glad the responses made you feel better!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote