Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-10-2010, 08:09 AM   #1  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

Arrow Who do you tell???

Okay so I started my healthier eating journey on 6.30 and I have told only 1 person.. personally I hate the word DIET and I refuse to use it. I feel like if I started talking about healthier eating that people would start saying on a diet and then it would become a rant session about THEIR diets and how fat they are (I am pretty much talking about my co-workers)

In respect to my friends and family, I am not talking about it to them because if I fall off the wagon I don't want to look like a total failure. So my logic is if I don't tell them then they won't know if I throw the towel in and I know this gives me acsolutely no accountability to them whatsoever.

Anyhow who do you tell????

Last edited by Losing It 2010; 07-10-2010 at 08:10 AM.
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:27 AM   #2  
Graceful Loser

Since I don't live on my own and I'm surrounded by nosy people in a small community, I had to make a decision to be more open about my weight loss than I would like. I am trying to stop talking about it as much, but in this area, it feels impossible.

There are times, like when I was bridesmaid dress shopping yesterday, when I want to tell everyone (just for a moment, you know?). I used to be a 26, and now I'm an 18, so I got really excited. Then on the flip side there are times when I do not want to discuss it. Since it takes up the majority of my thoughts and time, it can be tiresome when everyone you see all day long wants to talk about it.. it makes me feel like I'll never leave morbid obesity behind in a way.

I got a little off topic, but my point was although most people know I'm losing weight (impossible not to notice) I like keeping some things to myself.
Hamoco350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 250/168/150

Height: 5'7"

My coworkers are really supportive. So when they ask me things like what I want on my pizza that they are ordering for lunch I can just say, "none for me thanks, I brought my lunch." And that's the end of the discussion.

My family knows too. I'm not that private a person. But it generally only comes up when we are talking about food and I order something weird or don't want more or bread or dessert.
JessLess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:50 AM   #4  
Happy Member

I didn't tell anyone that I was trying to lose weight, not even my DH. It was a very personal choice for me, and I am a very private person. I got my support from 3fc and other forums on the internet.

As the lbs. dropped off, people began to notice and question me. At that time I was willing to share the basic facts -- that I was losing weight because I had changed my eating habits and increased my exercise.

It worked for me, but I think everyone has to make their own decision on this matter.
JoJoJo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 08:58 AM   #5  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

I think you can make a case on either side. As JoJoJo2 said, it's up to you. And whatever you decide is right for you, for now.

I let my husband know within a month or so, and told my brother a few months after that. Now that I'm buying new clothes, people are starting to figure it out for themselves. When they ask, I say, "I'm exercising more and
eating less. It actually works! Who knew?" And leave it at that unless someone is really interested.

I prefer getting my support and accountability here on 3FC where people get that weight loss isn't linear and that sometimes it's really hard and sometimes it's really easy and all a little mystifying.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: HW:300 Pregnancy: 160/167/185

Height: 5'5"

I told a couple people at work--actually, I told them we'd decided to try for a baby and that I needed to "get in shape" for that. Eventually everyone figured it out.
Shmead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 09:38 AM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

You tell whoever you want to tell. Everyone - to hold you accountable and get support, No one - to avoid failure and unwanted suggestions. It's up to you. I will say that that your attitude about not "dieting" and changing to a healthy lifestyle is spot on and the key to long term success.

Personally, everyone knows what I've been up to, it got pretty hard to hide it after a while But in general everyone has been very supportive. Now they're starting to wonder why I'm still *dieting* and I'm having a hard time explaining to them, it's really not a diet anymore, it's my way of life and how I plan to maintain my weight.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #8  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

I know probably after the first 15 lbs people will start asking me what is going on especially the people I see everyday but when I go see the family as I only see them every 6 months or so, the questions will fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncuneo View Post
You tell whoever you want to tell. Everyone - to hold you accountable and get support, No one - to avoid failure and unwanted suggestions. It's up to you. I will say that that your attitude about not "dieting" and changing to a healthy lifestyle is spot on and the key to long term success.

Personally, everyone knows what I've been up to, it got pretty hard to hide it after a while But in general everyone has been very supportive. Now they're starting to wonder why I'm still *dieting* and I'm having a hard time explaining to them, it's really not a diet anymore, it's my way of life and how I plan to maintain my weight.
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #9  
Neo-Maxi-Zoom-Dweebie

S/C/G: 285/205/160

Height: 5' 6"

I tell everyone. I have become addicted to the encouragement.
Even when I get the occasional "You should try it this way..." I don't care.
And those kinda comments are getting fewer & farther between now that results are happening anyways.
m3rma1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #10  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I tell my bf, my siblings, anyone on my FB list, anyone on my LJ and everyone here
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195.5/130/120

Height: 5' 6"

I told my boyfriend (because we live together and I didn't want him bringing home junk). And I told my other friends who are making healthy life choices also. Now that I have lost enough to notice I will tell anyone who outright asks me. But that's it.
Shytowngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 227/Ticker/147

Height: 5'5"

I told my bf since we live together, because like the poster above I didn't want him bringing home junk, my two best girl friends, and my mom. As far as anyone at work is concerned, I'm just trying to make better/healthier food choices. I've only worked there for a couple of months and have only lost about 10 lbs in that time so I don't think it's been noticeable yet, but I'm not sure what I'm going to say when people start noticing. Hopefully no one will question me about it too deeply because for some reason I find it incredibly awkward to talk about weight loss with people I'm not very close to.

Last edited by fashinjunkie09; 07-10-2010 at 06:40 PM.
fashinjunkie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #13  
Doing it right!

S/C/G: 160/140/115

Height: 5'2

I haven't really told anyone per se. However, my roommates at school know that I have become vegan, as well as my family, and my family knows that I have been putting in a more conscious effort to work out. So while I haven't come out and said "I'm trying to lose weight," I think most people can tell I am trying to get healthier.
clion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #14  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I've only told my spouse in real life.

I just want to do it my own way without extra obstacles from well meaning people. I find hypothyroid and PCOS/IR obstacles enough!

A.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #15  
Spartan Kitty

S/C/G: 270/*ticker*/160?

Height: 5'4"

I told my husband so he could help me and support me (and not cook junk for dinner since he does the cooking). And I did tell my mother when I first seriously started at the beginning of the year, but became uncomfortable with her comparing and competing and pointing out my weight loss to everyone we came across (people who didn't know I used to be fatter than I am now, so why do they need to know?! lol). So I stopped really talking to her about it and just support her in her efforts now. I don't tell anyone else (except the people here) because I'd rather not be judged on how well or poorly they think I'm doing.
Latchkey Princess is offline   Reply With Quote