Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-09-2010, 07:46 PM   #1  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Default Curves Diet Plan?

OK... so... I'm calorie counting right now, and until I get back from Serbia (I'll be spending four weeks there).

But, when I get back, it'd be really nice to do something that is more "structured"... and my Grandma is wanting to do something with me, she's been wanting to lose weight for quite a while, and is always trying to talk about calories and such with me, and after noticing my poster on the wall, mentioned she'd want to do it with me.

Well... back to the original topic.

I was in Houston the other day, and we stopped by to visit some friends. We somehow got onto the topic of diets and all, and she highly recommended the Curves diet plan. It goes from 1200 calories one week to 1500 for the next time, and it tells you exactly how to ease into maintenance and all. And it gives you two options, a protein based diet and a carbohydrate based diet. And... well... pretty much gives you all the ideas to eat. It's pretty much calorie counting like I've been doing... but FAR more structured, and you eat a lot of food apparently, but you lose weight.

It'd be something simple enough for my Grandma, and structured enough for me.

But... I want to hear other people's thoughts on it.

(I'd still be doing the C25K and 20 minutes of yoga a day)
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:33 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 181/175/125

you seem to have pretty figured out that structure would help you out then go for it. but i don't know about all this pick carbs or protein diet hallaballu.. your body needs both.
therex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:03 AM   #3  
Defying Gravity

S/C/G: 172/150

Height: 5'0

I tend to shy away from diet plans as they are created out of fads and money making oppotunities. If I was going to use a diet plan then I would head to weight watchers as their reputation proceeds them and it won't bankrupt you in the mean time..
Losing It 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 11:12 AM   #4  

Well, the curves diet plan isn't a 'fad' diet or anything. It's a diet plan set up by the curves fitness center. The most our friend spent on materials was $15 for three books.

It's pretty much calorie counting, but very planned out and structured. Which would be good for me. You don't have to do anything "special" (like weigh-ins with weight watchers), and so on. From what I can tell (and maybe I'm wrong), it's just a far more structured calorie counting plan.

As for the "pick carbs or protein", I don't think it means you cut out one or the other. It's more like, if your body does better with more protein (meaning you end up fuller), then add more protein than carbs. Or if your body does better with carbs in the same sense (like me... so many people tell me to eat more protein... but protein makes me HUNGRY, carbs are the only things that fill me), eat a few more of those.

I dunno... is there someone out there that follows this? I don't really know how to explain it because I only glanced through the book.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #5  

Curves diet is not all carbs or all protein. On either you have an adequate amonth of both in the forms of complex carbs and good fruits and vegetables and dairy. The higher protein options allows you to lose a little faster and has 135 grams of protein and 90 grambs of carb as daily goals. Just reverse those numbers for the higher carb option. It's an excellent plan and while there is structure, their are choices, too. Do you have the latest book on it? Available only at Curves but most will sell you one. It's $10.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 02:12 PM   #6  

I don't have any book for it. It was just mentioned to me by a friend of the family. She had a couple books, but she was using those books because she was going to go back on it.

Thanks.