3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   How do you stay on track when you KNOW... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/206046-how-do-you-stay-track-when-you-know.html)

707Goddess 07-01-2010 01:15 PM

How do you stay on track when you KNOW...

That you are going to a fourth of july celebration ????
My weakness is beer I know weird but summer time bbq and beer just go hand and hand

Im on a Strick plan i mean strick that i started today, I will pack my foods in my cooler but the hardest thing for me is gonna be the beer ...

So how do you stay on track in summer ??? All these bbq's and celebrations what helps you ???

Shmead 07-01-2010 01:28 PM

I just don't eat anything. Period. I eat before I go. I'm there for the company, not the food. I remind myself that there will be other parties--it is not a once in a life time thing.

I practice, out loud, how I am going to turn things down so that it is automatic (think old Karate Kid: wax on/wax off until it is a reflex!)

Beach Patrol 07-01-2010 01:38 PM

If you drink a WHOLE LOTTA WATER, I mean to the point where you practically SLOSH when you walk? .... that kinda makes you NOT wanna drink anything else!

Also... a little goofy trick that works for me... if I know I'm not going to be near a rest room???.... that usually stops me from drinking much of anything, LOL!!

nelie 07-01-2010 01:39 PM

How about breaking your mentality that beer and bbq go together? Or having 1 beer or a lite beer and eating less?

LotusMama 07-01-2010 01:47 PM

I think it is imperative that you stay the course with your plan. So what if you can't have a beer? You won't die, I promise!

Here's the thing: you have to learn to get past this as there will ALWAYS be a party, a celebration, an event, etc. at which things you like/want will be served. Some people are able to work those things into their eating plans in moderation; some people can't have them at all because once they start, they will overdo it. Whatever you decide works best for you, though, I advise that you plan like crazy beforehand and come up with a solid strategy regarding the foods/beverages that trigger you.

Good luck and have a great celebration!

J

yhahmd 07-01-2010 01:50 PM

What do you want more, the bbq or the beer? I'd let myself have 1 or 2 ribs, or 1 hamburger (or half a hamburger and a couple fries) and no beer, or eat before I left and have 1 beer. That's only because I'm hypoglycemic and if my blood sugar gets low I eat whatever is lying around before I start to feel sick. But otherwise, I just eat before I go. If you have enough control to not eat anything, great. If you have enough control to only have one thing, that's good, too.

Shmead 07-01-2010 01:56 PM

Also, every time you stay on plan at an event like this, the easier it becomes, so whatever you plan, do it, even if you regret it when you are there. You can plan differently next time. But fulfill the plan exactly, because that will tell you that you can.

beerab 07-01-2010 02:19 PM

Stay home? lol- it's hard to start a strict plan before a holiday!

Honestly I think it's one of those things where when the food is put out DON'T go up first- wait till everyone gets their food- then go get a few things like a peice of grilled chicken and some salad or whatever, then just take your sweet time eating it :) That's what I did last year. I got one small burger and fruit and drank water and if anyone said anything I just said "man I have just been CRAVING GRAPES all day" and then ate really slowly AND shuffled around :)

Or bring your own food and say the doctor put you on a diet- most people stop questioning when they hear the word doctor.

Lori Bell 07-01-2010 02:35 PM

In your other thread you wrote about your Doctor prescribing you Wellbutrin and Phentermine...I can't remember for sure, but isn't there a big warning on Wellbutrin about not mixing it with alcohol...something about increased risk of seizures? That is a good enough reason to pass on the beer IMHO.

Just did a quick check. Here is a little info:
http://www.drugs.com/wellbutrin.html
Quote:

Avoid drinking alcohol while taking Wellbutrin. Alcohol may increase your risk of a seizure while you are taking this medicine. If you drink alcohol regularly, talk with your doctor before changing the amount you drink. Wellbutrin can cause seizures in people who drink a lot of alcohol and then suddenly quit drinking when they start using the medication.

Oh and this:http://www.drugs.com/phentermine.html
Quote:

What should I avoid while taking phentermine?
Avoid drinking alcohol. It can increase some of the side effects of phentermine. Phentermine can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.

wanttobefitte 07-01-2010 02:38 PM

I'm with you Goddess. Beer, summer, cookouts - all go together! Usually there are good choices at these events: salad, fruit, chicken. And since I love beer, I'll bring a non-alcoholic. I've found St Pauli Girls to be pretty good. And when it's really HOT in July, I don't need all that alcohol anyways! If you tried one in the past and didn't like it, see if you can find a different brand. They are all different. Have a great 4th!

thesame7lbs 07-01-2010 02:49 PM

The surest strategy for me to avoid drinking is to be the designated driver!

I agree that it can be hard to limit drinking in social situations -- especially in the summer when it's hot and a beer (or glass of wine, or gin and tonic, or mojito, or margarita) is calling. I can usually find a way to work a drink or two into my plan, but I have to be careful, because, as we know, alcohol lowers our inhibitions -- and in my case, often leads to overeating.

A couple strategies that work for me:
-- remind myself that nothing is off limits forever. So maybe you can't drink (or can't drink much) at a few bbq's this summer. It's not forever. One day you'll be in maintenance and you'll be able to fit drinks in a little more easily. I'll tell myself, "I can have a mojito, just not today."
-- when push comes to shove, and you're looking at that cooler, think about it. What do you want more? Really want more? A beer that will last 15 minutes? So you can party for a couple hours? Or to be thin and fit and healthy all day every day? Because that's the tradeoff. A drink or a treat that lasts but a few minutes, versus the body you inhabit every minute of every day.
-- and if you do drink? or eat? and go over your calories? It's one day. Get back on the horse the very next day, the very next meal. I aim for 1700 calories a day. If I slip up and have 2200 calories one day, you know what? It just takes five or six days of eating 1600 cals to get back to an average of 1700 for the week.

I don't know if you're counting calories or not, but that is why I like it. Instead of saying, "No beer, no cookies, no french fries," I can work them in by cutting calories in other meals, and if I go over one day, I can adjust my cals for the week to compensate (within reason -- if I were to try to compensate by going too low in cals, I'd go crazy and probably binge).

You can do it! And every time you step on the scale you'll be glad you did!

celigirl88 07-01-2010 07:03 PM

I just keep telling myself that if I eat another hotdog, that's 10 more minutes on the ellyptical, or 5 more pushups I'm gonna have to do. Making harsh workout plans for myself usually makes me stick to it. If I do cheat, I know that the next day I'm really going to have to workout harder so it's my choice if I want to kill myself or not.