Post workout nutrition

• So I posted something similar in the Weight Training forum, but it's not getting any responses. I've been hearing a lot about post workout nutrition and I'm not sure I understand it, if I should be doing it or if it's worth the extra cals. I can restructure my cals some to fit in a small whey protien post workout shake (I only weight train 2xs a week) but I'm not sure if it's necessary. I'm looking to build some muscle and cut fat in this last phase of my weight loss effort some I'm trying a new weight training approach that is a little more intense then what I was doing before. Can someone enlighten me on post workout nutrition.
  • There is a lot of misinformation about post workout nutrition. Rather than give my take, I'll just post a link to an article by Lyle McDonald, who is arguably the world's most well-known qualified expert on exercise nutrition.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...nutrition.html
  • Even when I was weight training in an effort to build muscle, I didn't bother with a post workout nutrition. My hubby did buy me a recovery drink mix that he was trying to get me to use while I was doing my distance training a few years ago (not in diet mode). It was more for electrolite replenishment and some protein, but again, it wasn't something I used regularly. i still have it in the cupboard 3+yrs later.

Something I read recently (can't recall the source) but it listed simple chocolate milk as an excellent post workout recovery drink. I just googled "chocloate milk for post workout recovery" and there are tons of responses. I actually tried it one day last week. A simple 8oz glass of choc milk was very tasty! But it seems to be the latest fad idea, so I'm not sure the value in it.

When I was in weight gain/muscle gain mode several years ago and training hard, I did not find a real benefit in post workout recovery drinks. Instead, I just increased my protein intake thru the day and kept fat and carbs to a limited amount. It worked well, and I was able to get down to 16% body fat at that time in my life. I truely did gain weight, lose fat and gain muscle.

I'm more concerned about finding a pre-workout food that will give me the energy for my early morning workouts so I can make it thru them without hitting the wall (boinking).
  • Quote:
    Lyle McDonald
    Wow - I'd forgotten about Lyle. He was actually one that frequented Misc.fitness.weights newsgroup back in the day when I was training. He and Mistress Krista (sumptuous.com) were the two of the best information givers out there. I miss those days.
  • Quote: Wow - I'd forgotten about Lyle. He was actually one that frequented Misc.fitness.weights newsgroup back in the day when I was training. He and Mistress Krista (sumptuous.com) were the two of the best information givers out there. I miss those days.
    Ha!

Yes, unfortunately a lot of idiots seem to spread info these days. Stick to people like Lyle, Cosgrove, Krista, etc. and you can't go wrong

PS- mentioning a newsgroup gives away your age
  • Quote:
    PS- mentioning a newsgroup gives away your age
    HA! I know. It also gives away my geek factor, and could easily give away my anonomity if someone is resourcefull. Usenet died about 6 yrs ago, unfortunately. Alt.support.diet and Misc.fitness.weights were excellent resources in their day. I think I'm still admin of the website for one of those the newsgroups. Nobody ever took it over when I left.

For the record - I'm still a couple yrs away from 40's.
  • I just finished reading Where Did All the Fat Go? The WOW! Prescription to Reach Your Ideal Weight—and Stay There by Rob Huizenga, M.D. (the doctor from The Biggest Loser) and was intrigued by his recipes for "anabolic shakes." No whey protein powder in sight and made from ingredients you get at the grocery store.
  • A couple things to think about:

1. Nutrient replenishment - High mileage runners need to replenish glycogen supplies in muscles to get ready for their next run. Muscles are most receptive immediately post-workout. But this applies mostly to those doing 10+ miles on back-to-back days, so probably not so relevant. If you said you were doing heavy weight training 5-6 days per week, it might be a factor.

2. Electrolytes - Again, applies mainly to high-volume exercise. If I run 8+ miles or have an all day ultimate frisbee tournament, I need some form of electrolyte replacement. I've discovered the hard way that a combination of water, pretzels, and fruit and vastly inferior to Gatorade-type beverages, at least for me.

3. The rest of your diet - If you're getting enough protein, you're probably set. Any possibility of arranging your schedule so that you have a meal within 1-2 hours of your workout? The difference would probably be pretty trivial overall if you're not a hardcore body builder, but it might have some benefit (either physically or psychologically!).

The theory behind chocolate milk is that it has a 4:1 ratio of carbs to protein, which someone somewhere decided was the "ideal" replacement ratio. Did they compare it to 2:1, 3:1, 5:1, and 6:1 ratios in terms of strength gains and post-workout recovery? Probably not so much. But it's still tasty. :-)
  • Here is something that I try to stick to a few time a wk:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/post-workout-fasting/

I really believe in it and the benefits, I do have more fat that I'm trying to burn though.
  • Ok, so I really only scanned the article, but is it safe to assume on the the days I run in the early am I'm doing good if I eat a balanced breakfast a few hours later and then on the days I weight train I eat a balanced dinner an hour later. I really don't want to complicate my life (I'm looking for sustainable long term maintenance like everyone else, not a short term training program), but I do want to trim the fat and build a small amount of definition in my muscle, but all this stuff about post workout nutrition is really confusing to me and seems like for my purposes maybe unnecessary.

Just wanted to add my runs are 3 miles at most (am trying to get to 5 miles at some point) and my weight training is 60 mins 2xs a week.
  • I've tried chocolate milk on occasion myself for purposes of post-exercise recovery, but the reason I did it and the reason I've always heard for doing it is to replenish glycogen to prevent shakiness/weakness in muscles later on in the day. I've only used it when I was in fencing competitions multiple days in a row, but I will say that chocolate milk does seem to help. It may just be that I'm getting more calories total throughout the day so I don't run out of steam as much, though, I really can't say. I've never in any other circumstance used chocolate milk or protein shakes after exercise, although I did at one point up my protein intake a lot to try to help build muscle, and I found it to have pretty much no effect.
  • Quote: Ok, so I really only scanned the article, but is it safe to assume on the the days I run in the early am I'm doing good if I eat a balanced breakfast a few hours later and then on the days I weight train I eat a balanced dinner an hour later. I really don't want to complicate my life (I'm looking for sustainable long term maintenance like everyone else, not a short term training program), but I do want to trim the fat and build a small amount of definition in my muscle, but all this stuff about post workout nutrition is really confusing to me and seems like for my purposes maybe unnecessary.

Just wanted to add my runs are 3 miles at most (am trying to get to 5 miles at some point) and my weight training is 60 mins 2xs a week.
    In that case, I don't think you need to concern with details. Particular # of PWO grams of protein and carbs isn't a big deal for the average fit person, it is more a concern of the athlete (ex. you are training for a particular event). Just balance your meals, eat, be consistent.

Personally, I never cared to bother with those details, and never had a problem!