Someone slap me please?

• I started off well this morning with 3 scrambled eggs with a sprinkle of chilli flakes. Then lunch got worse with a packet of noodles ( carbs anyone? ) with miso soup and chunks of chicken breast. And after that I've been snacking on biscuits, I've had a bag of crisps, a can of 7 up, a banana, 2 scoops of coconut icecream....

WHY DO I DO THIS?

I'm not depressed, I have no emotional issues to my knowledge, I've tried to occupy myself....

I'm self sabotaging and I don't even know why. I just fancy something and then eat it without thinking. I can't seem to make myself stop > I don't eat massive amounts of things, just pick at different stuff.

It's like I should have someone at my side 24/7 to literally physically stop me from eating these things.

I don't know what to do
  • I'm a librarian, so my answer is always books!

The End of Overeating by David Kessler. This is about how the food industry engineers processed foods to make them darn near irresistible to those of us who are susceptible to that pull. It invoked in me a bit of righteous anger and a whole lot of resolve to put myself back in charge of what goes in my mouth. At the end, he discusses Cognitive Behavioral Techniques as one way to stop the madness. That led me to....

The Beck Diet Solution by Judith Beck. This is not a diet but a book that uses CBT to help you stick to whatever diet you choose.

Both of these were popular enough that you might find them at your local library so you can check them out and see if they speak to you the way they did. They changed my life and gave me a solid starting point for this journey.

If you like the Beck book, there's an active group working through it here on 3 Fat Chicks. Check us out in the Diets section.
  • Sounds like your eating because you are not getting something you need..
    usually thats what happens with me.. when i dont eat full meals or snacks that give a variety of veggies, meat..etc I find i eat and eat and i usually try and reach for carbs, they make us feel full.. but eating protein helps prolong that feeling of fullness specially when you mix the 2 = awesome.

Also, when starting on a diet/lifechange.. GET RID OF THE BAD FOOD!!!!! If you have a problem with picking at bad things GET RID of them. Thats the first step is realizing you've got a problem WITH those things and doing something about it you will eventually be able to add them in OCCASIONALLY. BUT until then its going to hinder you having it around.
  • I would suggest that you write everything you eat down on paper in big letters and post it on your refrigerator. Some people journal, putting down their feelings along with the food. I find that writing down what I eat keeps me on plan. I tried not to last year, well, that didn't work!!

Good Luck!
  • Hang the jeans or cute out fit you hope to wear someday real soon now up where you will see it often.

Put pictures of you now or of you back when you weren't fat or of models who look like you hope to look or the cute guy you wish would give you the time of day or a reward vacation destination - whatever will remind you of what you're supposed to be doing - on the fridge and kitchen cupboards.

Hang mirrors up all over the place so you have to see yourself eating yet another unwise treat.

Tape your thumbs to the palm of your hands and glue your fingers into a ball so you can't open doors or packages. (okay, so maybe that one wasn't totally serious but it would make you stop and think, eh?)

For the beginning of my journey when I needed the most help I wore a bracelet and every time I was tempted I fidgeted with that instead. But I don't normally wear anything on my wrists so having something there was a constant reminder of what I was focusing on. This helped me a great deal but it might not work for someone who normally wears jewelry.

good luck!
  • Gosh, looking at your avatar picture, (and with no weight/stat information posted), it's looks as though you have very little weight, (if any) to lose. Maybe you could add some vegetables into your diet. A big bowl of cabbage soup, roasted squash, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, tomatoes, peppers, onions, & carrots, etc. Seasoned with any fresh herb like basil, garlic, rosemary, thyme, or cilantro etc.. Those types of veggies really keep me full so I'm not prone to graze all day and in-between meals. Oh, and they taste WONDERFUL.
  • I hear you, I do the same things some days. I start out really good, and then boom, I end up having a cinnamon bun or chocolate or something. I think it happens to all of us somedays, but I think the key is that it can't happen every day, otherwise we will never lose! Hang in there, tomorrow is another day!

Lori
  • It's okay. We all have slightly-off days.It's okay, you're going to be okay. And I do not want to slap you! I would much rather give a hug .
    I'm not good at advice so I'll stop my post right about here.
    I also think you're really pretty, you're avatar is gorgeous.
  • No one here wants to slap you, I'm sure. You'd be more likely to get a hug, or a hand up! We have all been where you are at one time or another.

I am one of those folks that cannot eat certain foods, or they trigger me. I become more hungry instead of less hungry. And yep, processed carbs are the biggies, especially baked goods.

One of the biggest helps for me is logging my food and finding a support system for my woe....oh, and reminding myself of why I am doing this. I post all sorts of affirmations and pictures of myself at a weight I felt healthy at. I am not hanging out with the same folks at lunchtime, as they were eating very unhealthily of some of my trigger foods, and I found it hard to resist-- this I mean huge portions of prepared processed foods.

And I am walking every day. I don't seem to be able to have ANY white flour, white rice or other processed carbs. If I avoid them, and hi sugar things, I can manage not to overeat. Find what works for you, you can be successful.

Good luck!
  • Don't beat yourself up...it happens. You need to get that junk out though, don't let it be an option. I'm always looking for more to eat when I don't get enough fat in my meal. I try to get plenty of good fats in the morning to keep me satiated throughout the day. Try to get past today and move on.
  • Thanks guys , seriously but I am beset with setbacks. I live at home, and though mother does try to help by getting the things I ask for which I keep in a separate cupboard of my own, she then goes and buys things for her and father that I shouldn't eat, because they do like them, and I can't expect them to have my own diet even though they do need to lose weight.

Sadly have no pictures of me not being fat, because I've ALWAYS been fat, ever since I was a small child. I am not ashamed to admit I partially blame my parents for my weight problems. All my life they've served up large portions of the size my dad eats, and not of healthy food either. I've always struggled with my weight and until I can get a place of my own, or they die , I will always struggle with it.

This only happens at weekend and some evenings when at home. I work in a warehouse, and we have a kitchen/dining area with microwaves , but no actual canteen serving food, so you have to bring your own food. This works great for me, because I pack cooked skinless chicken breast and a big bag of mixed veg to steam in the microwave, and a low fat yoghurt, some fruit and a can of tuna for extra protien.

I often have home made vegetable soup when I get home ( no potatoes, a lot of beans in it, and leeks and carrots and tomatoes ) but it's hard not to have bread with it, though I really try

I walk 5 miles home every day from work, and also go to the gym at least twice a week, though I intend to increase that and have also started doing a couple of sessions using one of those vibrating wobbleplate things, it's a little intense exercise class at a place near where I live.

So you see it's being at home surrounded by the things my parents like to eat that does me in. I can't afford to move out as my job is low paid and have no on to move in with as my friends are al married now and hardly need me lurking about like a freaky lodger.

I start out fine in the mornings with a bowl of porridge ( made with part water part semi skimmed goats milk ) topped with mixed seeds, or sometimes scrambled eggs like today , but if I'm at home after that ( weekends ) it tends to go downhill , or when I get back from work. Mostly it's weekends though as when I get home from work I often either go to the gym, or simply go to sleep .

My weightloss has halted and I'm at 180 lbs now and I'm really disheartened.
  • I'm with Bunti. For me, carbs beget carbs. Perhaps it's no coincidence the chips, cookies, 7up,and ice cream came after a bowl of noodles, if youi're sensitive too.

If lunch is the meal that starts you downhill, how about automating it? According to several weight loss books I've read, that dieters are most successful when they have less variety, and make the same thing for at least one meal a day, preferably 2. So choose a lunch or 2 that you enjoy, and eat it daily! It'll be predicatble, take the stress off, etc! I automate my breakfasts: I either have bite size shredded wheat or cottage cheese with sf yogurt. In the winter I have oatmeal with 1/2 scoop chocolaate protein powder.
    Lunches I typically have salad with lean meat on top. Pita pizza is also yummy, if you have a toaster oven. Supper is whatever! That way you still get your variety with snacks and supper.

PS Don't be so hard on yourself. You are beautiful.
  • Everyone's different. I've heard a ton of people say "don't eat carbs in the morning or you'll overeat", but me personally... when I have a bowl of oatmeal or some kind of bread food... I am LESS likely to overeat during the day, because I'm full. When my family did Atkins year after year... I was always STARVING. But now when I'm calorie counting with plenty of carbs... I'm quite full. But you very well could be more of the typical... and carbs make you want more carbs.

Part of what's helped me is getting food as I need it. Like, I'll only go and get breakfast, lunch, etc when I need it/scheduled it. I still allow myself to have whatever I want though.

Think of everything as in "stay under this". Not WAY under... but... if you're going low carb, say your limit is 10 carbs (I know that you go through stages/whatever with Atkins, and 10 isn't whatever... blah blah... just an example), then make sure you are under that. Or if you're calorie counting, say 1600. As you go... say "I can have the 500 calorie breakfast, that leaves me 1100 for the rest of the day. I can have the 400 calorie sandwhich at lunch, that leaves me with 700. I can have this 400 calorie piece of cake... that leaves me with 300 for dinner."

That's what I do. Other people are more precise than me. But personally... for the start... I think you should ease into it. Start with a "general" type of thing. Eyeballing and weighing only some things. Then, as you go on and become comfortable knowing what's what... begin more "intense" counting and watching what you're eating.

Oh... and one more thing. Fruits and veggies. I know... we've all heard it. But... for me at least... the more fruits and veggies I eat... the more I want them... the less I want sweets (they also give me diahrrea from ****... the sweets that is) and unhealthy foods. And... WATER. Drink lots and lots of water. Just carry around multiple water bottles with you.

And... well... good luck. We all fall off. Just get back on. You can do it.