Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/?/155 High:254

Height: 5'5"

Default Do You Sometimes Feel Like a Know-It-All?

When is the last time that you read/heard any NEW weight loss info? I buy the magazines, I surf all over the net, I read any news articles and scientific articles/studies I can find and I have many different types of weight loss books. But it seems each time I come upon another article or news story I can't help but think "this isn't new, I already knew this/do this." Every time I see something titled "10 tips to cut calories" or "blast fat with this workout" or "lose 5 lbs this week!" it's always the same old, same old and I'm left feeling slightly disappointed because I already KNEW what was in the article.

I guess even though I KNOW there is no magic answer that will make me lose weight I'm always hoping in the back of my head and thinking "maybe THIS article will have that one tip/trick that will really do it for me! *sigh*
Bombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 354/342/250(for now)

Height: 5'3"

Funny I'm the same way, but not just about weight loss, I find myself disappointed if I buy Cosmo: their Bedroom tips are laughable. I'm to the point where I won't buy it anymore, I'd rather have a magazine with healthy recipes and practical advice not $900 dresses that fit 2% of the population.
CanadianCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

With stuff meant for the mass media--like tips from Local News or Paper I rarely learn anything new.

However, just this morning I was watching a program on the Glycemic Index on KERA. The lecture began with explaining the GI and the effects on blood sugar for different foods. He also continued on by explaining cholesterol and fats. He discussed the amount in fats in meats--how much saturated fats in beef, chicken, fish, etc. He also discussed what AMA guidelines are for cholesterol and why they need to be lower. The man continued and by the end of the program I was convinced I needed to try a Vegan diet for three weeks. That is something I have never really considered before. There was definitely some info. there I wasn't aware of.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #4  

I feel the same way. This morning I watched a video from the Today show about whether diet or exercise is better for certain things. And for losing weight the "expert" said dieting is better. But we all know that dieting alone can cause us to lose muscle weight, which isn't good, so we should eat healthy AND exercise for ideal weight loss. I thought the advice was misleading, especially for people who aren't as educated about healthy lifestyles like we all are.
tiffany0809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #5  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I don't bother watching anything regarding health anymore, I decided to do my own research in March and ignore the mainstream. So far so good! I eat like people did 10,000 yrs ago and have never felt better. I am tired of all the nonsense they try to push, its the same thing yr after yr.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #6  

S/C/G: GW: 125

Height: 5'6"

Bombe, I was just thinking this today. I was at the supermarket, wondering if I should buy Shape magazine. I looked at all the headlines ("Lose Ten Pounds this Month," "Thinner Thighs in just 5 Minutes a Day") and realized, my goodness, I've read those articles 1000 times in 1000 places.

The other issue is how everything conflicts. Thighs Be Gone mentions the cholesterol thing, but there's a whole camp of distinguished nutritionists who think we've gone way overboard on that and that processed carbs are the real culprit for both weight and health. And though we've had "diet AND exercise" drilled into our heads, the NY Times recently covered some research suggesting that diet only is best for weight loss, but that exercise is crucial for maintenance. It seems the more you read the more your head spins!
thesame7lbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #7  
Closet health nut!

S/C/G: S268/C170s/G140s

Height: Officially 5'-6"

Nope, I'm always learning something new. My latest new info came from Tosca Renos clean cook book, the SuperRX Diet and the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women. These have completely changed my perspective on many things about health and fitness. I have a hard time keeping up because it seems like things just keep cycling, carbs are bad now good carbs are good, no fat now good fat. I try to stick with the basics and ignore the rest, but if you go a little deeper I think there is always more to learn.
ncuneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #8  
Newbie Nurse

S/C/G: 285/250/281

Height: 5'9"

I'm still learning (current topic: metabolism and toxins and blah blah blah) but most of what I encounter dealing with diet and exercise is old news. Common sense even.
JMfan is offline   Reply With Quote