Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 250/250/190

Height: 5'4

Default Out of breath

I do have a breathing problem.It usually gets better as I keep walking/exercising and losing weight. I have been walking everyday for the past 2 months and when I do my workouts I have to sit down after 10 minutes, I am so out of breath. Doc said it will take awhile this time for my breathing to adjust. anyone else have this problem?
JennelleV86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

When I started running, I found that there are really two factors on whether I could keep running.

1) My legs ability to keep going
2) My lungs ability to breathe efficiently to supply my body with oxygen.

I also found that each ability progressed at different rates. I think if you keep walking, your fitness level will increase and you'll be able to go further with less effort.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 174→168.0→135

Height: 4'9''

Yes. I had this really bad. When I'd be forced to run in gym (if I stopped the whole class had to start over, and we started the day by running for 10 minutes every day.) I would wheeze, I guess you could say. It sounded/felt like someone deflated my lung and it just wasn't working.

I don't run right now, so I can't tell you if it improved, but one thing I did learn that helped me a bit was to link your hands over your head, stand tall, and breathe in deeply. I guess it helps get more air into your lungs or something. Either way it really helped me.
yhahmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:27 PM   #4  

I'm new here, but I wanted to chime in on this. Yes I definitely experienced this along with pain to the lower back when I began to exercise. I can say that with every week it does it better and I think it will get better for you as well. I remember when I first started I could only do like 5 minutes before feeling that way. Then I was able to push it to like 7, then 10, then 12, 15 minutes, 20, and today was the second workout in a row that I was able to do 30 full minutes of being able to continually run/walk without having to stop at all. I think you will get there too just don't get discouraged and keep going. :-)
RoseThrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:34 PM   #5  
Amazing will be me

see you doc anyway but if there isnt any underlining prob , ull find that it will get better as you lose weight..

ive only lost 10lb so far and feel a MEGA difference i feel lighter round my waist and my stairs are "normal" instead of feeling like mount everest. Even pushing my friends baby round in the pram was a struggle , but im noticing gradually as the pounds come off that im getting less outa breath
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 12:43 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 250/250/190

Height: 5'4

Thanks everyone for advice. I'm just going to Keep on Walking! Anyone with little ones around should know about the movie Nemo and how Dori keeps says "just keep swimming, swimming,just keep swimming" Well, I'm just going Kepp walking,walking,just keep walking"
JennelleV86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #7  

Height: 5'11"

I had a breathing problem for years. At seemingly random times, I would just run out of air. Sometimes at night, it would feel like I had a huge weight on my chest. Sometimes it would happen during the day.

As it turns out, I have asthma. So maybe your breathing problem is simply needing to get back into shape, but also please consider whether or not you may have asthma. I had it for years, but it wasn't discovered until I was back to the doctor for the umpteenth time about my nagging cough, and she heard me wheeze as she was leaving the room. Now it's much easier to control. So please consider being evaulated for asthma. It's much better now that I'm losing weight, but when I was at my highest, it was really debilatating.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:00 PM   #8  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

I have a touch of asthma too, and I smoked for years. I weighed nearly 300 pounds at 5'. Even walking a few feet would leave me gasping for breath. I used to work at an airport (a small one) but as soon as I entered the airport, my coworkers down the terminal in the security area would know I'd arrived because they could hear me gasping for breath from there. I quit smoking, lost weight, and when I'd left my job earlier this year, I was able to stand directly behind some of those same coworkers, a few inches away, and when they'd turn around they'd get a fright because they didn't know I was there! In other words, they couldn't hear me breathing at all! I can run up a flight of stairs now without being out of breath.

I have an inhaler I use when I need it, which isn't as often. I used to go through one a month; now each one last several months. I started weight loss easily, gradually working up to longer and harder workouts. I think someone here mentioned having a sore back; I used to as well, when I first started out. I used to have a back pack filled with books and things, not too heavy, and I used to wear and it used to "balance me out" so I felt less pain.

Last edited by Ookpik; 06-20-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:26 PM   #9  
I'm on my way!

S/C/G: 260/172/160

Height: 5'6"

I get out of breath easily. It is one reason I prefer swimming over other exercise. Ihate being out of breath. I have had asthma problems since I was a kid. Mostly only aggravated by animal fur or cigarette smoke, but if I do something physical it takes me quite a while to recover my breath. I am hoping as the weight keeps coming off that it will subside and I will breath normally.
TXMary2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 03:30 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

I'm probably always going to have asthma to some degree, but it has gotten so much better since I've lost part of my extra weight. I had one scary episode when I was learning to jog/run; I got about a mile from the house and realized that I was going to be in serious trouble because I felt like I had a one-ton weight on my chest. Luckily, my son's apartment was about 1/4 mile back up the road and I was able to make it to his house so he could drive me home. After that, my doc recommended that I always take an inhaler and a phone with me when I run. I don't go that far, but I do make sure to take a couple of puffs about 30 minutes before I set out.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote