3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Hot weather after weight loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/204974-hot-weather-after-weight-loss.html)

mkendrick 06-18-2010 01:32 PM

Hot weather after weight loss

I used to dread summer. I haaaated being outside when it was hot. I felt heavy, sluggish, sticky, and just nasty. My thighs rubbed and got all raw, I sweat like crazy, and I was just always uncomfortable.

One big improvement I've noticed now that I'm smaller is the heat doesn't bother me that much. Sure, it's still hot, but it's so much more tolerable. I no longer feel like I'm walking around a sauna in a rubber suit. Thigh rub is gone, I don't sweat nearly as much, and I'm generally much more comfortable. I hadn't even noticed it until work yesterday when everyone was whining about how freaking hot it was (Alabama...heat and humidity...double whammy), and I was thinking it was actually quite pleasant. Then the thought dawned on me that I was able to tolerate it so much easier because I wasn't lugging around 50 more pounds.

Anybody else noticing this now that summer heat is here? On the other side of the spectrum, I get colder much easier. It's like my optimal temperature range went up about 10 degrees.

ninepaw 06-18-2010 01:36 PM

That's a big thing we noticed when my mlom had WLS and lost a bunch of weight - She gets cold way easier, and she can deal with heat much better! It was funny, we got to the point of, "Your oppinion doesn't count" last summer. My stepdad and I are both overweight, and we would get hot and want to turn on the air... She was like, "It's not hot, what are you guys talking about!?" :lol:

I can't wait to be able to enjoy the summer heat more! :)

PeanutsMom704 06-18-2010 01:41 PM

I haven't even lost that much yet (at least not compared with how much I want to lose) and there is such a huge difference for me with sensitivity to temperature. I used to ALWAYS be the one who was hot when everyone else was comfortable, now I'm the one who is cold when they are all comfortable and everyone else has to be super uncomfortable for me to even start to feel warm.

I can't even imagine what it will be like in another 50-60 lbs - I'm have to wear my winter coat in the summer and hibernate in the winter! lol!

Eliana 06-18-2010 02:02 PM

It has definitely gotten better but I still hate the humidity. Dry heat is just fine, but I'm not sure I'll ever be comfortable in humidity.

In our house, though, we've adjusted the temp from 65 up to 70. :D That should help with electricity! LOL!

Lori Bell 06-18-2010 02:04 PM

LOL...Oh yea, it's GREAT. I just came in from push mowing for 3 hours. It's 93 degree F, and 60% humidity, and I barely broke a sweat. As soon as I'm done with lunch I'm going back out to hoe the garden. It is AWESOME.

I do take a jacket with me when we go out to eat though, most restaurants are freezing. When I was fat we had $300-$400 electric bills in the summer. This month it was $145. :)

caryesings 06-18-2010 02:25 PM

I think it must be something about body adjusting rather than the actual body weight. I'm "down" to the weight Megan started at and I'm experiencing that same cooling effect. I get downright cranky if I forget to take my jacket into the grocery store they feel so cold to me now.

TXMary2 06-18-2010 04:16 PM

I so look forward to that!! I detest summer!! I live in Texas and the summer heat is unbearable. I cope by staying inside or staying at the pool. It sucks that I don't goto a lot of fun outdoor things in the summer because I can't take the heat. When I first moved here I weighed about 213 and went to a festival for a few hours. Got home and was sick as a dog - heat stroke or something. It was awful. I look forward to not being super sweaty, sticky and bloated feeling.

Serbrider 06-18-2010 04:24 PM

I hope that'll happen with me. Because at the moment... I HATE heat. I don't mind getting cold because I can always warm myself up... but... I don't like stripping down in any way (if I'm wearing a sweatshirt and a t-shirt underneath it I'll do everything I can to stay in the sweatshirt... :p ). Even out of sight of people.

That... and I have cholinergic urticaria, and heat does trigger it... especially if I'm going from a cold pool to warm air and back and forth. That's the worst.

I dunno... I just really don't like the heat. I don't like skimpy clothing... but I LOVE coats, jackets, sweaters, sweatshirts, etc. :p

Like... I'm not looking forward to getting to wear a pair of shorts or a miniskirt or a bikini. Nope. I am however desperate to buy myself a leather jacket. :p It can be fake leather/pleather... I don't care. I just want a leather jacket.

But yeah... it'd be really nice to be able to wear my warm clothes more... and to be able to function in heat without feeling as though I'm about to pass out. ;)

Karen925 06-18-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkendrick (Post 3347597)
One big improvement I've noticed now that I'm smaller is the heat doesn't bother me that much. Sure, it's still hot, but it's so much more tolerable.

Exactly right! I live in San Antonio so this is a real blessing. I find myself looking for cute tops and wanting light sweaters or jackets as well. I nice assortment of them.

Aunty Jam 06-18-2010 04:38 PM

I've noticed a huge difference for me. I always used to be way to hot but now I'm the one who's always cold! Unfortunately my hubby is still like a furnace so he keeps the house cooler then I would like. Sometimes I sneak it up a few degrees... sometimes I grab a sweater. I am also looking forward to some nicer weather but really dreading winter now.

TXMary2 06-18-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliana (Post 3347641)
It has definitely gotten better but I still hate the humidity. Dry heat is just fine, but I'm not sure I'll ever be comfortable in humidity.

In our house, though, we've adjusted the temp from 65 up to 70. :D That should help with electricity! LOL!

Holy cow! We keep ours on 78!! If I had it on 70 my city would rob me blind with power charges.

sweetnlow28 06-18-2010 05:30 PM

I have noticed this too and it is just wonderful :) I used to sweat so bad mainly on my face. I could never wear makeup in the summer and it was down right embarrassing when I sweat so bad walking into a store. I am thoroughly enjoying my summer thus far. I even wear a sweater in the morning when I walk my children to school. My husband complains of the heat and looks at me like I am nuts LOL. I love it!

ANewCreation 06-18-2010 05:30 PM

This past winter I nearly froze to death I was so cold. I remember coming close to crying when I was in the freezer section of the grocery store-- I was so miserable!

Now summer has hit and I am amazed at how 'heat tolerant' I've become. We barely use the a/c and when we do we keep it at 78. Perfect. Unless I'm in the basement and then it's too cold down there. We don't deal with humidity in our area but the sun is hot at this altitude.

I still have an array of shrugs, light weight jackets, sweaters, etc for layering. Theatres, restaurants, etc are often too cold for me. I just bought a light weight gauzy jacket that I wear every where, even when I'm outside. Good thing it washes up well!

I get so cold I'm HAPPY to have a hot flash... ;)...can't imagine what it will be like when all my excess weight is gone !

TJFitnessDiva 06-18-2010 05:39 PM

I can handle a lot better too *but* on the flip side I get cold so much easier now! People look at me weird when I go grocery shopping since I put a hoodie on (97 degrees, lots of humidity...lol I love some of the looks I get)

kendra 06-18-2010 11:30 PM

I am the same way! It is nice to know, it's not just me. Everyone at work thinks i'm crazy when i say i'm cold. They are sweating and i'm freezing. Right now i am loving it because of the summer time. I refuse to run my air conditioner because i love my apartment to be 80-85. It's so comfortable! Anything less and i start to freeze. I just wonder if it gets worse as you lose more. I really hope not.