Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-09-2010, 12:38 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 225/175/140

Height: 5'6

I dont know... if you have that much saved up, buy a small fridge. With your saved up money, looks like you will be able to fill that mini fridge

Mind you i'm a bit of a rebel. When it comes to what goes in my body, I decide. No one else. I'm 23, been 17 before. I starting making my own meals at about 14. Time you start doing the same, specially with money saved up and possibly starting a job at your grandmas.

Last edited by luciddepths; 06-09-2010 at 12:41 PM.
luciddepths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:47 PM   #17  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
Rebound... I have definately considered all of those things. I'm not an idiot... I'm not going to just go out and "buy a pretty pony" without having the finances to back the care and all. I'm getting a job (most likely going to do the DCP program at school, so I get out early, which gives me more hours to use at a job and in caring for an animal) at my new place with my grandparents, and they have 42 acres and a donkey that would love a new "family member".

I can afford all of that... I'm not a ditz who is just wanting a pretty pony to put in the backyard. Trust me on that. I just didn't feel like going into the whole shabeal here on this forum... since I've gone over it fifty+ times on a horse forum I'm on. I know what I'd be getting into. And to be honest... I'd rather use my $1000 that's not in savings for something I ENJOY rather that something that my parents have promised to pay for anyways... and that they get compensation for with their company (my parents are missionaries and we get a budgeted amount of money each month... and food, gas, and non-personal extras are all covered by the company).

Maybe I'm just being silly, stubborn, and stupid. But it's got me this far... which might be a good thing... and it might not be.

I dunno... I'm off to Half-Price Books to invest in a few things. See ya!
1) Well, I couldn't have known how much you post on other horse boards, now could I? All I know is that you have apparently astoundingly unsupportive parents and that you said you wanted to buy a horse with your only available $1000. I think my response was pretty appropriate, really.

and 2) Did you even read my last paragraph? I think you need to show your parents that THIS time it's different.

But take what you want from this discussion.

Last edited by Rebound; 06-09-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:20 PM   #18  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

Being one of the handful of the 'cross overs' from that other mentioned board-- I have to say that when serbrider started that job, she did so with the intention of buying a horse. Instead of going out and picking up a cheap (or even free) junk horse and winging it, she put a plan in place-- worked-- and has weighed the decision.

Onward.

SR, I am glad that vacation didn't do you totally in, and having read for months the sorts of things (diet wise) your mom has put y'all on, I can only think that you have to assert yourself in this matter. Buy a mini fridge, and put veggies in it. Remember the low carb kick she was on last year? Just tell her it REALLy stuck with you and you need constant veggies!

I'm here if you want to chat!
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:45 PM   #19  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

curious minds want to know.. whats a "junk horse"?
One that's fit for the pit? Ready for the glue factory? 2 hooves past it's prime? I've never heard that term before.
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:51 PM   #20  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Thanks so much guys. I have a bunch of things I need to do today (and like... in the next few minutes), so I don't have time to give individual responses to everyone. Rebound... I'm sorry for practically blowing up in your face on my last post. I have been given the "make sure you know what you're doing" type of lecture thousands of times from family members, friends, and strangers... after a while... I just get tired of hearing it and end up getting defensive and end up blowing up at people who do not deserve it. So I apologize for my actions on that.

To everyone else... I'll have to look up prices of mini fridges. I know that in my college dorm room I'll be in after this upcoming Senior year there is a microwave and a mini fridge. But until then... I'll have to see. I know I can't get one now... we're moving around a TON.

I guess... I think it's mainly the whole low carb mindset my family has been in for years that makes them not get as many fruits and veggies and get more and more meat. And... I don't like meat.

I just got back from Half-Price books with a bag full of new CDs (Rascall Flatts!!!!) and books... and the books include:

Skinny B****
Biggest Loser calorie counting guide... or something like that. I don't have it right next to me... can't think of the name.

And a few others. I'm looking forward to finishing Skinny B****... I've read part of the first chapter... and so far... really liking it. I've always been interested in the vegetarian and vegan lifestyles... I've never been a huge fan of dairy products, meat, and those kinds of things. So yeah... I'll just have to read through it and see.

As for my parents... I dunno... they confuse me. One day they are all on board and my mom is out buying different fruits and vegetables (still not a huge variety), all "organic" or low carb or low calorie things... and then the next day the ONLY things in the house are chips (tortilla chips, our family rarely eats potato chips), candy, majorly high calorie things, etc. I've been eating fine today... and next time my mom or dad balks at the food... I'm gonna put my foot down and either pay for it myself or tell them it's that or nothing.

I know how to cook and make my own meals... I have since I was 12 or 13. My parents aren't always at home... so it was kind of out of necessity. I LOVE cooking... I just hadn't always had time to do so... maybe I can convince my mom to let me cook my own meals... at least for now.

And as for my Grandparents... the mini fridge probably is the best idea.
Serbrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:05 PM   #21  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

How is it that you are able to bring in a bunch of books & CD's into the house...with your own money (especially a book like Skinny B&^ch..which is up & down profanity & not age appropriate for a 17 y/o)....but you cannot sneak in healthy non-refrigerated items to stick in your room?

Last edited by MissKelly; 06-09-2010 at 03:06 PM.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:11 PM   #22  

Misskelly... exactly what I'm confused about myself. My mom didn't ask about my books... but the minute I buy any kind of food... she needs to inspect it. I think it also has to do with my past... because I was on so many diets... and like I said... half of them inflicted upon me instead of my own choice kind of things... I would sneak food into my room. But then I'd sometimes forget where I put it... or I wouldn't be smart about it... or something... and I'd get in huge trouble because of it.

But books... my mom doesn't mind books. She probably wouldn't approve of Skinny B****... but she does trust me with what I read and/or listen to... I just am not trusted with anything else. Which is confusing. I have always had internet blockers and monitors (even ones that would act like viruses against my computer) because the internet is a dangerous place. My mom has to have her hand in everything... that's just the kind of person she is. It's just that with my reading and with my music... she generally stays out... maybe it's because she doesn't care... or because she's not interested in what I read/listen to... or what... I really don't know. It's extremely confusing. >.<

ETA: And part of it is that... I myself don't want to have even healthy non-refrigerated items in my room... because I do get into the habit of mindless eating VERY quickly... and if I brought anything like that into my room... it'd be gone in two hours... it's much easier for me and my sanity (and my stomach's sanity) if I have it all downstairs and away from my eyes most of the time... especially at night when I'm playing Sims 3 or watching a movie.

Last edited by Serbrider; 06-09-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:14 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 158/153/130

Height: 5'4"

You are in a tough situation being young and living at home under your parents rules.

I can tell you though - on the O-town vacation. First of all Sweet Tomatoes is not necessarily healthier or better for you than Golden Coral. Sweet Tomatoes can be a huge calorie hole. With eating out any any restaurant its all about what you make of it. I'd much rather have a salad at Wendy's or McDonalds than the temptation of Sweet Tomatoes (which is one of my favorite restaurants by the way.)

As for the sleepiness while on the trip. If it continues, I'd have it looked into by a doc. But - you are 17, you have teen hormones to deal with. You have just finished up your school year and are coming off that stress, you were on vacation and go,go,go and Florida is hotter than hades this time of year. The beach, the sun and the water will wipe a healthy active floridan out in a heartbeat. For someone not used to this weather, its really gonna take its toll. (I live here - I know first hand. A morning on the boat, I'll nap for 3 hrs that afternoon).

For many people - when you are tired, you lose will power, so I can understand your mindless eating. Just chalk up a week of vacation to just being vacation, get back on the wagon (or in the saddle) and start again now that you are home.

Someone said that you can eat the fried crappy food but just in smaller portions - well, I will disagree with that. the smaller portion could leave you not feeling satiated and the added sugars and fats can cause further cravings - both of those being a catalyst to a viciouse downward spiral into binging on junk food. Combine that with exhaustion and it explains what happened to you.

Your biggest hurdle to get over is your parents support and getting food into your house that will help you lose weight. You need to find a way to change your parents. If they are not diet, nutrition or health concious people, then you are in for a struggle. (and from what you said, they aren't).

Something you may try is - create a meal plan for 1 week. Then make a grocery list of what you need in order to have this plan. Sit down with mom and tell her your goals for weight loss and how you need to go about doing it and show her your plan and the list. Then go shopping together for the items. Get what you need, enough of what you need so you don't have wasted food.

Offer to cook dinner one night - or cook with your mom. Try to make it a time to spend with her. In the end, your small changes and influences on her might make her healthier too.

good luck to you.
chnkymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #24  
Counting away!

S/C/G: 217/211/122

Height: 5'3

I hope you find a solution that works for you all!

Have a nice day!
parkedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #25  

Thanks so much everyone. chnkymonkey... the meal plan sounds like a good idea. I think I'll go work on that... turns out I didn't have as much to do this afternoon as I thought I did (something I thought would take an hour or two ended up only taking five minutes. >.< Figures)... so I could go ahead and type something up. Unfortunately for me... my parents headed to the grocery store just like... an hour ago... meaning they probably already got everything that they're gonna want to get for a while. But I will still look stuff up and come up with a meal plan for myself at least.

Thanks so much guys... I really appreciate it... and all of the advice, even lectures and reprimanding has been very useful... and I appreciate all of it and have gleaned so much info and... well... advice from this.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:29 PM   #26  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbrider View Post
Misskelly... exactly what I'm confused about myself. My mom didn't ask about my books... but the minute I buy any kind of food... she needs to inspect it. I think it also has to do with my past... because I was on so many diets... and like I said... half of them inflicted upon me instead of my own choice kind of things... I would sneak food into my room. But then I'd sometimes forget where I put it... or I wouldn't be smart about it... or something... and I'd get in huge trouble because of it.

But books... my mom doesn't mind books. She probably wouldn't approve of Skinny B****... but she does trust me with what I read and/or listen to... I just am not trusted with anything else. Which is confusing. I have always had internet blockers and monitors (even ones that would act like viruses against my computer) because the internet is a dangerous place. My mom has to have her hand in everything... that's just the kind of person she is. It's just that with my reading and with my music... she generally stays out... maybe it's because she doesn't care... or because she's not interested in what I read/listen to... or what... I really don't know. It's extremely confusing. >.<

ETA: And part of it is that... I myself don't want to have even healthy non-refrigerated items in my room... because I do get into the habit of mindless eating VERY quickly... and if I brought anything like that into my room... it'd be gone in two hours... it's much easier for me and my sanity (and my stomach's sanity) if I have it all downstairs and away from my eyes most of the time... especially at night when I'm playing Sims 3 or watching a movie.
You'll find a way. Sounds like you have your big girl panties in hand & at the right moment you'll slip them on & show 'em all. Is what's going on with this situation (the parental control you feel that binds you) leaving you feeling stressed & defeated..possibly provoking your cravings to feel comforted? I think it may run a bit deeper than what food is actually put front of you. I say this because as you know from having been here in FL...we have a water shortage & it's difficult to find to drink. If yes & sugar is your escape...I agree you'll have to somehow tackle this soon. Just don't let go of the panties.
MissKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 03:39 PM   #27  

Haha... thanks MissKelly... I'll keep those panties close by.