Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/ticker/115

Height: 5'6

Default Dinner party suggestions?

Hi, I am having a dinner party next week for four people. One is a non-drinking health nut who usually eats pretty extreme (and yucky-looking; mushed this, gray that) health food. I'm going to be non-drinking. Then there's a large meat-eatin' guy and an average-sized woman who do both drink. The guy does like fish and such too. I have a grill. Would love suggestions so I don't go off the rails and will satisfy everyone.
crimsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #2  

I would serve fish, lean meat and vegetables for grilling - don't know how fancy you want to make things, but cutting both into pieces and putting them on skewers would be a good idea. Maybe marinate some of them?

Then I would have a salad bar - lots of different things to put in salads, and a dressing or two or three so that everyone can make their own salad in varying degrees of healthyness.

And I'd offer some bread, too, maybe home-made garlic bread so you can make it with more garlic and less butter. Obviously that depends if bread is a trigger food for you, I know it is for many people. On the other hand most people I know will always have bread with something grilled. Depends on you and your friends, really.

For drinks you could offer some beer and/or wine for the two who are drinking, but also get something a bit more fancy than water for the two of you who are not drinking - maybe home-made sugar-free iced tea?
3FCuser001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:02 AM   #3  

mexican themed fajita night can work well.
- cook and put in separate bowls chicken or beef, peppers and onions , variety of toppings, refried beans, cheese, guacamole. have a plate of tortillas.

Then everyone can assemble to their liking.

have sparkling water and sol or dos equis beer with a side of lime.

fruit salad for dessert

easy to prepare, permits everyone to only eat what they want!
cestlavie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:36 AM   #4  
PCOS/IR/Hypothyroid

Height: 5'8"

I was about to suggest "taco bar" too because that way you just have to put out things and they assemble as they please. Here's some ideas...

tomato salsa
mango salsa
chips
guacamole
lettuce
tomato
cheese
grilled chicken cut in strips
beef strips, grilled
ground beef
sour cream
taco shells / fajita shells
black bean soup / refried beans
fruit salad
mexican wedding cookies
spanish flan
dulce de leche ice cream
sangria
pina colada
daquiri
spanish sodas
punch

Last edited by astrophe; 06-03-2010 at 09:38 AM.
astrophe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:48 AM   #5  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 255/211/160

Height: 5'6"

Yummy! I am SO having tacos tonight!!
Rebound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #6  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

(I've had this before too!) For dessert, get something light that you can eat, but that everyone else can, too. I'd go with meringues, because you can probably find organic ones out there somewhere, plus they're usually 10 calories or less per cookie!
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #7  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

For the small ones, anyway!
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

How about a pork tenderloin? It's very very lean, easy to cook, and mild in flavor. I like to sear mine on the stove top and then finish cooking in the oven for about 20 minutes. Season beforehand with crushed fennel seeds, salt pepper, and thyme.

Serve with fresh spinach sauteed with garlic, a little olive oil, and a dash of nutmeg.

A beautiful apple slaw on the side (I don't have a recipe at the moment but it's easy to find one on the internet).

Lemony basmati rice as well.

For dessert serve sliced pound cake with fresh berries and a dollop of whipped cream (beaten with a little sugar, vanilla, and a small container of mascarpone)
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #9  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

How fancy a dinner party are you looking at?

Roast chicken is always nice, or shishkebabs (especially since you can vary the meats and veg on them to suit your guests).

You could start with a chilled gazpacho soup (tomato and veg), which is easy to make and very healthy.

You may want to serve a nice marinated lentil and veg salad on the side, as well as a green salad. That allows your health-minded guest an option if he doesn't want any/much meat, without screaming "Vegetarian!!" There are some very tasty recipes out there.

Something fruit-based for dessert could be very healthy, and tasty, too. If you want it fancy, poached pears with optional cream are always a treat, and are a bit fancier than fruit salad and not as heavy as a pie/tart or cake.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote