3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   *cries* please let this just be water weight... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/203191-%2Acries%2A-please-let-just-water-weight.html)

Serbrider 05-30-2010 01:11 PM

*cries* please let this just be water weight...

Ok... weighed... 219.8

:(

Last week when I weighed I was 214.4.

I didn't weigh as soon as I got up this morning... so I do have the influence of two large cups of water and one waffle (all there was for breakfast, :mad:) in me. I was expecting to take off maybe a lb because of that... But... 5 lbs worth?

I did have a bad day yesterday and the day before... but the majority of that was out of my control. I can't tell my family what to make. I can give suggestions (that was pretty much the only way I got my salad last night)... but yeah. Urgh... I'm just really upset. I've been running. I've been doing horseback riding. Yes... Friday... I ate 2700 calories. I've been kicking my butt ever since, because I didn't bother to check the calorie count of a couple things before I ate them. Yesterday was 1950 calories. But I had little control over that. I ate TINY portions of everything... and still apparently ended up with that much. Darn that pizza. 400 calories a piece? You've got to be kidding me.

But... 5 lb gain? Please let it just be water weight... or the difference between one scale and another... because... this is upsetting. *sigh* Just had to share with someone.

Onederchic 05-30-2010 01:46 PM

I am sure you haven't put on 5 pounds of fat in a week. Calm down, stay away from the scale a bit and just stay on plan, you will be fine :D :hug:

MeganTheMushroom 05-30-2010 01:48 PM

Don't worry about it, just keep going, it'll come off,
What is your maitenance? You must be burning a lot of calories from horse back riding and running, so don't worry too much about it

rockstar87 05-30-2010 01:53 PM

No way you put on five pounds in a week. My weight fluctuates a lot, especially when I drink water/eat a lot of sodium. You're probably retaining. Don't look at the scale for a few days and try again when you're feeling "skinnier". I can always tells when I wake up if I'm bloated and I'm sure you can too. Wait until you're feeling really good one day and see what your weight is then. :)

It'll come off, don't worry.

m3rma1d 05-30-2010 01:54 PM

Didn't I just read you post Today was my cheat day... hehe... yesterday??
So maybe it's water weight--Or maybe it's burger/Oreo shake/M&M Sonic Blast/etc/etc/2700 calories??

Get back on board, girl. :hug:

Vladadog 05-30-2010 02:16 PM

The differences between scales can be ENORMOUS! Even highly accurate digital ones. And even a single scale can vary a bit if you move, especially if you tilt it on it's side while moving it.

Things I have learned about digital scales:

~ always use on a hard flat surface (even grouted tile can throw it off)
~ if it has been moved at all since the last time: get on, weigh, get off, weigh again. The first weight might be a "resetting itself" weight. (our fancy scale at work is always 2 to 5 pounds heavier with the "resetting" weight so wasn't I thrilled thrilled thrilled to find that out! Oh look! I lost 4.5 pounds just by reading the blasted instructions!!!)

So don't worry too much about an individual week's difference. Remember, you're in this for the long haul. If your earlier calorie estimates were at all accurate you had a deficit for the week. Also, the last two days were certainly high in sodium which contributes to water retention. And you broke the cardinal weigh in day rule - always weigh in BEFORE eating or drinking anything (every little bit helps!)

Serbrider 05-30-2010 02:31 PM

m3rma1d... that "cheat" day... so many things I did wrong... but I ate small portions throughout. It was mainly just WHAT I ate. I was still "on track" techically... but not with WHAT I ate. I felt positive that the burger I ate was more around 400 calories. Not 850. I felt sure that the shakes were more around 300 to 400 calories... not 800 to 900. Which shows me how wrong I am... and that I should look at the info BEFORE I eat... not after. It wasn't an on purpose cheat day... or even a binge day. Not at all. Just sad sorry miscalculation on my part.

I'm actually feeling terribly bloated and nasty. I'm ready to go back to my salads and ham sandwhiches. Bleh... and I've been eating SMALL portions of all of these "sugary" and "salty" foods. Urgh... I"m ready to be away from my Grandma's house... and back to where I can actually get the foods I WANT to eat... not just what I'm given. *sigh*

MegantheMushroom... maintenance? I don't really know. Probably around 1800... if it's what I'm thinking it is. That's what I can eat without gaining right? Then around 1800 to 2000 with my height and weight. I really don't know. I feel better with the 1200 I've been eating... even if I am trying to eat a bit more.

And yeah... I meant to weigh as soon as I got up this morning... and didn't. I'll weigh again in a couple minutes a couple times just to "double check"... and then weigh again on Wednesday morning... *sigh*

I'm just really annoyed about all these high sodium, high sugar foods... because I physically don't feel good. Forget about the whole "calorie" count of them... I just don't feel good eating them.

Eliana 05-30-2010 02:35 PM

Here's my thoughts: ;)

It is highly unlikely that you gained five pounds of fat in a week. But you did eat crap and that crap had a lot of sodium. You are more than likely retaining a good deal of water and maybe a little bit of fat.

It's obvious you're beating yourself up a bit over this. For me, that feeling is just not worth eating that way. Even when the scale is not cooperating, and it often does not, I still feel better about myself when I am eating plan.

So get back to it! ;)

Serbrider 05-30-2010 02:57 PM

Thanks. I had one waffle this morning (like I said... all there was), but for lunch (just finished it), I had a salad and a chicken thigh (just the meat, a little bit of the skin). Didn't finish the whole chicken... or the whole salad. Just wasn't hungry.

So yeah... getting back on track... and my stomach is thanking me.

And I reweighed myself. 217.8

Little better... but even still... 3lbs... hoping it's primarily water weight.

Onederchic 05-30-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Serbrider (Post 3315409)
Thanks. I had one waffle this morning (like I said... all there was), but for lunch (just finished it), I had a salad and a chicken thigh (just the meat, a little bit of the skin). Didn't finish the whole chicken... or the whole salad. Just wasn't hungry.

So yeah... getting back on track... and my stomach is thanking me.

And I reweighed myself. 217.8

Little better... but even still... 3lbs... hoping it's primarily water weight.

You are awesome!! :hug:

Serbrider 05-30-2010 03:03 PM

awww... thanks. :) That made me cry... I'm just... I've been running to and from the bathroom with MAJOR stomach aches ever since Friday... so yeah. Being able to eat something more "normal" and bland... my stomach is feeling a million times better. :p

MissKelly 05-30-2010 04:20 PM

Hi, it sounds like you are definitely retaining water...and in part a gain as well. I don't want to tell you how to do anything and I'm somewhat reluctant to speak my thoughts here on this, but since you are having a difficult time, I feel I need to offer some input since I can really feel your pain and frustration...and I really do care and I am concerned. By no means am I wagging my finger at you because I have been there myself, obviously. Sometimes, we just need a strong nudge. I know I do and some people here have given it to me! ;) I have been following your posts.

It seems that a modification in what you're eating needs to come into play, as you know. Have you considered buying some Whey Protein at Target ($20) and dumping the carbs a bit (i.e. waffle, white flour products...waffles are high in carbs and low in protein)? Whatever healthy carbs you do eat, put them into your meals early in the day so your body burns them off throughout the rest of the day. The carb indulgences here and there, by what you have typed up in your posts, are what's setting you back. I'm sorry to say, but you will have to put your foot down on what your family puts in front of you to eat by explaining to them how very important fat loss is to you..or...make a decision on how much of it you are going to eat. I am taking into consideration how young you are, but remember, it's your body, your life and no one can force feed you. Eat 4-6 small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. You burn calories through digestion, keep it on the go. Make a set time in the early evening (6-7pm) where you stop eating and only drink water after that.

What you put on a salad can and will hold you back (the dressing), as opposed to say...squeezing a lemon/lime over it. Salads can be very deceptive little items. Calories per teaspoon of salad dressing are insane.

Whey Protein shakes will help you with cravings and will keep you feeling FULL. We need protein also to repair and build our muscles. If you have a lack in this, you will be at great risk of your body eating away at your muscle to get the protein. (Trying to explain it in the most general terms possible here without getting "way out there.")

The sugar you are eating....it's got to GO. :( Weaning off of sugar is very hard. I went batty-dingo during the process of it. Took me about 1 month'ish to stop the cravings completely. Please consider this for your own benefit.

Cutting back to 1200-1400 cals will help you see an improvement. My scale won't budge when I go over 1400 cals and will usually only go upward to 1400 cals when I need to trick my body into resetting itself, making it believe it's not on a diet (adding these cals and increasing carbs), then when it shows it realizes this, I jump back down to 1200 (cutting the carbs, back on high proteins) and continue on. The daily calories that you are eating right now may be your maintenance calories, not the calories you need for fat loss (speaking outside of the cheat days). I don't care what charts or calculators tell you, me or anyone....charts for the most part are bullhonky and in my opinion, are practically for entertainment purposes, it seems. You're going to need to do the same thing with exercise, our bodies adapt to exercise and you will need to switch it up. All I can say is water, water, water! ~and cardio, cardio, cardio 4 to 6x a week! You *must* get your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes a day on the days that you exercise....results! Lifting some weights/strength training (with bands or weights) 2-3 days a week for 30 minutes each time will help greatly. You will not bulk up like a man, have no fear of this at all, you're not going to be doing weights like someone who is going into competition. Muscle burns fat and it will increase your metabolism, even when sitting on the couch. Riding horses is nice exercise but it's not getting your heart rate up enough to where you need it to be to burn fat. Remember, this is about fat loss, not "weight loss."

You have the desire, I see it in you. Remember that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. You are such a bright and intelligent young woman, I'm so impressed with many of the things that you post here....I only think you need a wee bit of fine tuning as you discover how your body works, as all of us go through. I cannot wait to see you punch the rut you're in square in the nose. You can do it! Incorporate some modifications, but....increase in baby steps, do not take too much on yourself all at once, do not overwhelm yourself. Be friends with your body and listen to it. It talks to you, just hear it. :hug:

DhaniCauldwell 05-30-2010 04:36 PM

Don't beat yourself up too bad. We all fall off the boat sometimes and we have to get back in before we are eaten by a shark. You can overcome this. I know it. Good luck.

:queen: Dhani :queen:

Serbrider 05-30-2010 07:40 PM

Disclaimer: Not trying to be upset or defensive... simply explaining a few things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissKelly (Post 3315488)
Hi, it sounds like you are definitely retaining water...and in part a gain as well. I don't want to tell you how to do anything and I'm somewhat reluctant to speak my thoughts here on this, but since you are having a difficult time, I feel I need to offer some input since I can really feel your pain and frustration...and I really do care and I am concerned. By no means am I wagging my finger at you because I have been there myself, obviously. Sometimes, we just need a strong nudge. I know I do and some people here have given it to me! ;) I have been following your posts.

It seems that a modification in what you're eating needs to come into play, as you know. Have you considered buying some Whey Protein at Target ($20) and dumping the carbs a bit (i.e. waffle, white flour products...waffles are high in carbs and low in protein)? Whatever healthy carbs you do eat, put them into your meals early in the day so your body burns them off throughout the rest of the day. The carb indulgences here and there, by what you have typed up in your posts, are what's setting you back.

This weekend has been a nightmare for me on this. But I can't relaly do much about what my grandparents feed me. You can say all you want how I need to go out and buy my food... but my family is very much "you don't eat it you're being rude". Which makes my life difficult because I'm still underage and not technically able to "make my own decisions" yet. I don't eat that many carbs on a regular basis though. I eat them in the morning... and then the most I have in carbs later in the day is whole grain bread on my ham sandwhich. Other than that it's salads, lean meats, etc. The "carb indulgences" as you call them, like the ONE waffle, the milkshakes, two muffins (I had to grab something fast on my way out the door, and they were all I had on hand) and the burger... that's ALL I've had with those. And no... they weren't good decisions... but that's not what I normally eat... and with most of them... I didn't even WANT to eat them in the first place. Like I said... my stomach was really mad at me... and I paid dearly for my little "indulgences" as you call them. My normal meals are FAR more in the category of fruits and veggies. Not breads, pastas, etc.

I'm sorry to say, but you will have to put your foot down on what your family puts in front of you to eat by explaining to them how very important fat loss is to you..or...make a decision on how much of it you are going to eat. I am taking into consideration how young you are, but remember, it's your body, your life and no one can force feed you. Eat 4-6 small meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going. You burn calories through digestion, keep it on the go. Make a set time in the early evening (6-7pm) where you stop eating and only drink water after that.

With my immidiate family I'm fine. When I'm with my grandparents... I'm not. My mom understands. My Grandma... ehh... she'll make a salad... but the salad is FAR undermined by the meat and breaded/fried stuff, and then I get in trouble because I'm not leaving enough for other people. Which is why I did offer this afternoon to make more... and I did, and had it for lunch.

What you put on a salad can and will hold you back (the dressing), as opposed to say...squeezing a lemon/lime over it. Salads can be very deceptive little items. Calories per teaspoon of salad dressing are insane.

The dressing I had on the salad, and the only dressing I like so far (and even then, too much if it is sickening to me) is blue cheese lite... that you can get at walmart. 100 calories a tablespoon... and I eat more like half a tablespoon of it. I can't stand most dressings because they're so sour. Makes me not want to eat my salad.

Whey Protein shakes will help you with cravings and will keep you feeling FULL. We need protein also to repair and build our muscles. If you have a lack in this, you will be at great risk of your body eating away at your muscle to get the protein. (Trying to explain it in the most general terms possible here without getting "way out there.")

The thing is... I DON'T HAVE CRAVINGS. I'm not one of the typical people on here. I don't crave sugar. I don't want it. After two bites I"m already sick of it and my stomach protests as well. In the past, I would push through that nausia and keep eating it because I've been told all my life "it's good, it tastes good, you'll like it". But I don't crave sugars, or any foods... except for corn. And I have no earthly idea why I crave that. I'm not hungry either. Which is why my portions lately have been so small... because one chicken thigh fills me up. When in the past it would take me three or four... PLUS other stuff in order to "fill" me... at least mentally. Now... I've removed the mental part of it from me... and I"m just not hungry anymore. As for protein in general... I should have more of it... so I might go for protein shakes... but for more protein... not to fill me up... since I'm not hungry or craving anything.

The sugar you are eating....it's got to GO. :( Weaning off of sugar is very hard. I went batty-dingo during the process of it. Took me about 1 month'ish to stop the cravings completely. Please consider this for your own benefit.

I don't get why you're saying this. I haven't had sugar until the day before yesterday and yesterday. It's not something I'm stuffing my face with. I had that one shake... because I thought I remembered it tasted good. Tasted horrible. And then I was SO hot in the car ride... and I just HAD to cool myself down. So I got an ice cream, because everything else I tried wouldn't cool me down. It worked... but like I said... I paid dearly for it. Running to the bathroom five times in one hour with nearly explosive diahhrea... enough to make ANYONE stay away from what caused that. ;)

Cutting back to 1200-1400 cals will help you see an improvement. My scale won't budge when I go over 1400 cals and will usually only go upward to 1400 cals when I need to trick my body into resetting itself, making it believe it's not on a diet (adding these cals and increasing carbs), then when it shows it realizes this, I jump back down to 1200 (cutting the carbs, back on high proteins) and continue on. The daily calories that you are eating right now may be your maintenance calories, not the calories you need for fat loss (speaking outside of the cheat days).

Every since Sunday I've been eating around 1200 calories. A little less actually. It was ONLY friday and saturday that "set me off" of that. I'm not regularly downing 2000 or more calories a day.

I don't care what charts or calculators tell you, me or anyone....charts for the most part are bullhonky and in my opinion, are practically for entertainment purposes, it seems. You're going to need to do the same thing with exercise, our bodies adapt to exercise and you will need to switch it up. All I can say is water, water, water! ~and cardio, cardio, cardio 4 to 6x a week! You *must* get your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes a day on the days that you exercise....results! Lifting some weights/strength training (with bands or weights) 2-3 days a week for 30 minutes each time will help greatly. You will not bulk up like a man, have no fear of this at all, you're not going to be doing weights like someone who is going into competition. Muscle burns fat and it will increase your metabolism, even when sitting on the couch. Riding horses is nice exercise but it's not getting your heart rate up enough to where you need it to be to burn fat. Remember, this is about fat loss, not "weight loss."

I'm doing the C25K program (still waiting another hour to do todays'), and I've been doing horseback riding. I've been working out for at least 45 minutes sweating buckets with both of those every day... except for yesterday. I'm not just sitting on the couch doing nothing, thinking 'Oh... my fat'll go away". And don't tell me that "riding horses is nice exercise but won't get your heart rate up". Have you ever ridden a horse? I doubt it... if that's what you're telling me. Trust me. You're sweating BUCKETS by the end, out of breath, etc. This isn't a little "plod in a circle" type of pony ride. No... this is jumping, cantering, trotting for 10-20 minutes strait... HARD workouts, plus the 30 minutes I spend running around trying to catch the horse, then brush it down. It's more of a workout than you realize. I'm more out of breath after than than I am after my 45 minutes of walk/jog spent with the C25K, or after doing a set of weights. Try what you're talking about before you condemn it.

You have the desire, I see it in you. Remember that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results. You are such a bright and intelligent young woman, I'm so impressed with many of the things that you post here....I only think you need a wee bit of fine tuning as you discover how your body works, as all of us go through. I cannot wait to see you punch the rut you're in square in the nose. You can do it! Incorporate some modifications, but....increase in baby steps, do not take too much on yourself all at once, do not overwhelm yourself. Be friends with your body and listen to it. It talks to you, just hear it. :hug:

Thanks... I really appreciate all of the attention and care you put into this thread. :D I'm really not trying to tell you that you're wrong... I'm simply pointing out that all of the things you've told me I'm already doing. You said you've been reading my posts... and... I'm sorry... but maybe you just weren't reading the "right" ones... because Friday and yesterday are not at all examples of how I'm normally eating and exercising. Not in the slightest. ;) I'm not really in a rut... unless you think that the fact that my grandma just won't make anything but fatty foods to be a rut. I do listen to my body. It hates sugar. And... after spending most of Saturday in the bathroom... I do too. :o

I'm sorry if this seemed arrogant or "well, thanks for the advice, but no thanks". Not at all my intention. I'm just tired of people making assumptions about me and what I"m doing... without reading/listening to all the facts. I have enough of that in my own household... I don't need that on here. ;):)

MissKelly 05-30-2010 07:52 PM

Per your last sentence, I am not the enemy. Sorry, I tried to be constructive and positive, I will wholly refrain from commenting further in the future...... Best of luck.

OUCH..