Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #31  
:)

S/C/G: 305/see ticker/180

Height: 5'8-1/2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacha View Post
At 5'11 and 215lbs, OP's maintenance is in the 2500 range (varying on activity level). While well-intended MissKelly, I strongly have to disagree with some advice.

1. That any 5'11/215lb person should be cutting down to 1200-1400 calories which is nearly half of maintenance. This falls into a bit of an extreme.

2. Meal frequency and metabolism. While this is a popular idea, science seems to think otherwise. See:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?p=457373321
http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...ch-review.html

3. Whey protein shakes being filling. I'm a body builder myself~ I've been using shakes for many years, including when gaining to train for a competition. Shakes are useful calorie supplements, but 30g protein in a chicken breast (around 100g total chicken) is far more filling than 30g scoop of whey. This is a personal preference, but I've never heard anyone say that whey shakes are more filling than actual food until now.

I can see why OP is getting defensive- she has received some well-intended but (from my view) inaccurate advice, leading to further confusion and frustration.

Rather than eating "too little... too much.. too little.. too much" and constantly fluxing/rebounding, maybe eating just under maintenance (1800? 2000?) over a longer period of time could be a better solution for the OP. It could help break this cycle of frustration.
Sure chicken is more filling, but being that I am no longer eating meat, I must get the majority of my protein from it. (shakes head in disbelief...) I never once suggested protein shakes to be a "sole" substitute for a meal as a replacement. Even I drink one down with a small meal when I do not have one as a snack. I, never once, said that shakes are more filling than food. The protein in the shakes DO help with the feeling of feeling full longer. That I did state and suggest. Grabbing a protein shake or 2 Sonic shakes...now what's practical for the serious dieter just trying to take off in weight loss? Yep. That was exactly my point.

1200-1400 calories, even at my height and weight, by no means is extreme. If I was going into competition...sure, that's mighty extreme since bodybuilders eat many times over that to begin with for good reason...since you've mentioned bodybuilding. Prior to my getting sick and gaining, I hadn't eaten 2000-2500 calories a day in my life to maintain. That's foreign to me personally, although I know many people do it. It was an average between 1600-1800, at most, as a vegetarian. Now, who is to say in the future when I am down that will be the case, it may not be...I am open to this and I will have to do what is right and healthy for my body when the time comes. In the future, in the event that my body may change, I may have to maintain on say 2000-2200 calories. I cannot say, you cannot say. It's my body's choice. It could certainly happen and will definitely deal with that when the time comes. Science is science, I do not place much faith in it, what works best with my body I do place much faith in. What works for you or me, may not work for others and that does not make either of us inaccurate or wrong. Telling me that 1200-1400 is extreme is your personal opinion, not a fact. Giving me links tells me nothing. Science can disagree, science is not dependable, it's whimsical and science is constantly changing and modifying their studies found all across the board on nearly everything year to year.

So enough about my own weight loss, I am not having issues chugging along....and this is not my thread. Thank you for your concern, nevertheless.

Obviously the current calorie intake is not working for the OP, which should give incentive to lower & play with calories/carbs, etc. to find out what works best with HER body, per the member body suggestion, from those who have lost and are losing here. Who better to soak up info from. Let's not totally defeat the purpose of the forum here. If someone wants to be combative, do a knock down and drag out, then in my opinion, they're just not at that point yet to fully dedicate themselves to achieve their fat loss because there is very little that is "so confusing" about cutting calories/carbs....and moving and shaking your butt around a bit more. Saying and doing are two very different things, sure, everyone "wants to." I "want" to quit smoking, but I have not yet made that first step and I know exactly what needs to be done to do it. Half-hearted failed attempts, yes. My motivation doesn't mean a ding until I commit, put forth effort, stop making excuses, make progress and just go, go, go. You just have to want it that bad...and it allllll becomes clear.

The members of this board are on many, numerous plans...with calories ranging all across...with just as many different personalities to match. Suggestions will be tossed out with what works for each member, none are "right or wrong." It's a public forum. What someone doesn't like...they can take what they want and toss the rest out. It can be done without booger-flinging, burning bridges with people who otherwise simply won't be there again in the future and making someone feel awful. People may forget what you've said, but they'll never forget the way you made them feel.....

I will not allow my suggestions to be even partially blamed for the OP's frustration, confusion or defensiveness in the least. I regret no suggestion that I've offered, none of it was counter-productive or harmful. I do not own her emotions or rent space in her head for even the most minimal control. I will not take blame (along with others) for not studying each of her threads and posts word for word, because it's really just not that important to me when there are other members here who have a voice to be heard, as well. I take responsibility for my own actions and reactions, the same respect, protocol and social grace is appreciated in others.

Last edited by MissKelly; 05-31-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:05 PM   #32  
I like ponies... and you?

S/C/G: 220/ticker/140

Height: 5'9"

Thanks so much for all of the advice and stuff guys. I'm not going to bother trying to reply to everyone... because I know that it's the internet, and things don't come out as intended.

Just two last things before I sign off this thread and go back to enjoying my life (because I am feeling great right now... despite being exhausted from a 5 hour drive home):

1. I never meant ANYTHING I said in a mean-spirited way. Which is why I DID post the happy smilies and all... because my intention was NOT to be rude, NOT to be mean, NOT to get overly defensive and start yelling at you guys... not at all. I am really really really sorry it came out that way. My own fault for not reading it over twice (like I normally do) to make sure it's readable how I want it to be... not just my words... because one word can be interpreted a thousand different ways... both good and bad. I interpreted y'all's bad... and got defensive... and then y'all interpreted mine bad... and got defensive... and so on and so forth. Yeah... my own fault from the start for getting overly defensive when you guys were being helpful.

2. I can understand why my lack of cravings is confusing y'all. It's confusing me!! I'm not craving sugar, meat, dairy, fries, even salads, fruits, etc. And I don't understand why I'm not craving it. I didn't want the ice cream (maybe that's what you read?), but it was my last option to cool me down, since I had tried everything else from ice water to iced coke, to just plain ice. So... I got that. Probably should have gone for a slushie or something less calorie rich... but I didn't think "must have ice cream" or feel an overwhelming urge to eat the ice cream... just an overwhelming urge to get cool... somehow... no matter how. Just because I eat something doesn't mean I was craving it or I really wanted it, or I went and binged on it. I made a poor choice on Friday by not asking for nutritional information on the burger. Yes. And the shake... I had remembered enjoying the shake before... and got it. More out of habit than anything else. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't crave food. I just eat it. Doesn't mean I enjoy it or even wanted to eat it. I don't want to eat anything to be honest. I just do... because it's habit, or because I don't want to be rude, or because I know it's good for me. Which is annoying for me... because I'd like to be able to enjoy the taste of other foods besides corn, diet soda, and really bland watery foods with no taste. But... I don't.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissKelly View Post
Sure chicken is more filling, but being that I am no longer eating meat, I must get the majority of my protein from it. (shakes head in disbelief...) I never once suggested protein shakes to be a "sole" substitute for a meal as a replacement. Even I drink one down with a small meal when I do not have one as a snack. I, never once, said that shakes are more filling than food. The protein in the shakes DO help with the feeling of feeling full longer. That I did state and suggest. Grabbing a protein shake or 2 Sonic shakes...now what's practical for the serious dieter just trying to take off in weight loss? Yep. That was exactly my point.

1200-1400 calories, even at my height and weight, by no means is extreme. If I was going into competition...sure, that's mighty extreme since bodybuilders eat many times over that to begin with for good reason...since you've mentioned bodybuilding. Prior to my getting sick and gaining, I hadn't eaten 2000-2500 calories a day in my life to maintain. That's foreign to me personally, although I know many people do it. It was an average between 1600-1800, at most, as a vegetarian. Now, who is to say in the future when I am down that will be the case, it may not be...I am open to this and I will have to do what is right and healthy for my body when the time comes. In the future, in the event that my body may change, I may have to maintain on say 2000-2200 calories. I cannot say, you cannot say. It's my body's choice. It could certainly happen and will definitely deal with that when the time comes. Science is science, I do not place much faith in it, what works best with my body I do place much faith in. What works for you or me, may not work for others and that does not make either of us inaccurate or wrong. Telling me that 1200-1400 is extreme is your personal opinion, not a fact. Giving me links tells me nothing. Science can disagree, science is not dependable, it's whimsical and science is constantly changing and modifying their studies found all across the board on nearly everything year to year.

So enough about my own weight loss, I am not having issues chugging along....and this is not my thread. Thank you for your concern, nevertheless.

Obviously the current calorie intake is not working for the OP, which should give incentive to lower & play with calories/carbs, etc. to find out what works best with HER body, per the member body suggestion, from those who have lost and are losing here. Who better to soak up info from. Let's not totally defeat the purpose of the forum here. If someone wants to be combative, do a knock down and drag out, then in my opinion, they're just not at that point yet to fully dedicate themselves to achieve their fat loss because there is very little that is "so confusing" about cutting calories/carbs....and moving and shaking your butt around a bit more. Saying and doing are two very different things, sure, everyone "wants to." I "want" to quit smoking, but I have not yet made that first step and I know exactly what needs to be done to do it. Half-hearted failed attempts, yes. My motivation doesn't mean a ding until I commit, put forth effort, stop making excuses, make progress and just go, go, go. You just have to want it that bad...and it allllll becomes clear.

The members of this board are on many, numerous plans...with calories ranging all across...with just as many different personalities to match. Suggestions will be tossed out with what works for each member, none are "right or wrong." It's a public forum. What someone doesn't like...they can take what they want and toss the rest out. It can be done without booger-flinging, burning bridges with people who otherwise simply won't be there again in the future and making someone feel awful. People may forget what you've said, but they'll never forget the way you made them feel.....

I will not allow my suggestions to be even partially blamed for the OP's frustration, confusion or defensiveness in the least. I regret no suggestion that I've offered, none of it was counter-productive or harmful. I do not own her emotions or rent space in her head for even the most minimal control. I will not take blame (along with others) for not studying each of her threads and posts word for word, because it's really just not that important to me when there are other members here who have a voice to be heard, as well. I take responsibility for my own actions and reactions, the same respect, protocol and social grace is appreciated in others.
MissKelly,

You may have your own personal opinions on meal frequency (which is over and over again shown to have no statistical significance in terms of regular weight loss) and calorie amounts (1200-1400 being far below the OP's basal metabolic rate), that's fine. If you don't place much faith in science, then perhaps you would disagree.

Me - I don't place much faith in anecdotal evidence. It seems that I have offended you; I apologize if I have, not intended, but I would rather point the confused OP towards scientific journal studies about clinical measures of metabolism/meal frequency and basic calorie counting based on height/weight.

I'm rarely ever here to offer my personal opinion - although I DO believe that 50% of maintenance calories is extreme ~ I don't see how anyone could not perceive below basal metabolic rate, let alone around 400-600 calories below it, as not being somewhat extreme? That's a whole other discussion, one that I can only back up with more scientific research.

Anyways, I'm not here for an argument. I wrote my comments towards the OP and her situation. None of my concerns were directed towards your situation and it seems like you took that personally. I apologize if that wasn't clear. The OP and others can decide for themselves what to believe or what not to believe. I've been here a long time and you'll see I never throw out information or advice without any sort of solid reasoning behind it.

Last edited by sacha; 05-31-2010 at 07:39 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 405/216/205

Height: 6'4

Oh I get it it's like people who don't enjoy cocaine they just like the smell of it.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:42 PM   #35  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

^^

Jay
Old 05-31-2010, 09:57 PM   #36  

Quote:
MissKelly,

You may have your own personal opinions on meal frequency (which is over and over again shown to have no statistical significance in terms of regular weight loss) and calorie amounts (1200-1400 being far below the OP's basal metabolic rate), that's fine. If you don't place much faith in science, then perhaps you would disagree.

Me - I don't place much faith in anecdotal evidence. It seems that I have offended you; I apologize if I have, not intended, but I would rather point the confused OP towards scientific journal studies about clinical measures of metabolism/meal frequency and basic calorie counting based on height/weight.

I'm rarely ever here to offer my personal opinion - although I DO believe that 50% of maintenance calories is extreme ~ I don't see how anyone could not perceive below basal metabolic rate, let alone around 400-600 calories below it, as not being somewhat extreme? That's a whole other discussion, one that I can only back up with more scientific research.

Anyways, I'm not here for an argument. I wrote my comments towards the OP and her situation. None of my concerns were directed towards your situation and it seems like you took that personally. I apologize if that wasn't clear. The OP and others can decide for themselves what to believe or what not to believe. I've been here a long time and you'll see I never throw out information or advice without any sort of solid reasoning behind it.
You've mistaken my confidence for agitation, I was merely standing up for myself after you dragged the cat back in, setting the record back straight after you had fixated on and distorted my suggestion upon your entrance. So enough, I can look right back at the initial post to see how you approached it and attempted to make me a spectacle throughout it.

Without vomiting medical history here, like some others, I have a thyroid issue. Frequent meals assists in keeping the metabolism regulated. That is not an "opinion." For every study you can find not in support, I can find just the same in support for non-thyroid issues. I'm sorry, but you just cannot toss generic blanket statement medical advice out there like that as you have, especially to an impressionable young woman, such as the OP, you're simply just not qualified.

You go and eat your 'X' amount of calories a day over your medical journals. Allow others to find ways that work for them and they will eat their 'X' amount of calories a day over whatever they enjoy reading.

You're "Medical" ...I'm "Homeopathic." I am positive that is not where our differences end.

Now stay in your corner and I will stay in mine. I'm finished discussing this with you. It's old now.

Have a great evening.

Last edited by MissKelly; 05-31-2010 at 10:19 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:35 PM   #37  

MissKelly,

You must be reading into ill intentions - that are not and never were intended. I think you are looking for an attack that was never there to begin with. I wanted to point out some things for the OP that (I felt) might have confused her. My comments were always directed towards the OP. I am not sure why you feel that my comments directed towards her situation have anything to do with your medical issues and history. It was never about you. It is her thread I speak to - her situation - her height, weight, medical history. Not yours.

I have been on 3FC for over 2 years (now 7 years of maintenance with the support I have received here) and have never been interested in a confrontation - I'm a little surprised at the hostility (In over 2 years, I've never been told to go to my corner because someone is "done" with me).

Good luck with your journey. 3FC is not the place for online arguments and confrontations. I'm not sure if things have changed since I was last here (my 37lbs is pure baby weight, my delivery expected any day now), perhaps my ideas are no longer welcome. I'll stick to my preggo and maintenance sections from now on I suppose...

OP I apologize and hope your thread is back on track from hereafter.

Last edited by sacha; 05-31-2010 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:45 PM   #38  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Wow, this is not the first time I have seen a thread get completely off base with others "disagreements" but normally I don't respond to them and I won't this time except to just state the obvious, when people post threads they may not always be looking for advice, maybe just some support and or reassurance and to totally take the thread and make it into a debate is just..well, rude..in my opinion anyway.

That said, Serbrider, I do hope that somewhere in the midst of things you found what you were looking for. Keep your head up and keep reaching for those goals, you will get there
Old 05-31-2010, 10:48 PM   #39  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onederchic View Post
Wow, this is not the first time I have seen a thread get completely off base with others "disagreements" but normally I don't respond to them and I won't this time except to just state the obvious, when people post threads they may not always be looking for advice, maybe just some support and or reassurance and to totally take the thread and make it into a debate is just..well, rude..in my opinion anyway.

That said, Serbrider, I do hope that somewhere in the midst of things you found what you were looking for. Keep your head up and keep reaching for those goals, you will get there
You are correct... I apologize. Serbrider, I hope you find the answer you are looking for.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #40  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
MissKelly,

You must be reading into ill intentions - that are not and never were intended. I think you are looking for an attack that was never there to begin with. I wanted to point out some things for the OP that (I felt) might have confused her. My comments were always directed towards the OP. I am not sure why you feel that my comments directed towards her situation have anything to do with your medical issues and history. It was never about you. It is her thread I speak to - her situation - her height, weight, medical history. Not yours.

I have been on 3FC for over 2 years (now 7 years of maintenance with the support I have received here) and have never been interested in a confrontation - I'm a little surprised at the hostility (In over 2 years, I've never been told to go to my corner because someone is "done" with me).

Good luck with your journey. 3FC is not the place for online arguments and confrontations. I'm not sure if things have changed since I was last here (my 37lbs is pure baby weight, my delivery expected any day now), perhaps my ideas are no longer welcome. I'll stick to my preggo and maintenance sections from now on I suppose...

Nuh uh, your ideas/support/advice/suggestions are always welcome, at least by me and if you contain yourself to just those 2 threads, I will miss out so please don't do that. Thanks
Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 PM   #41  
No description available.

First, that popcorn eating deer is pretty much the funniest thing I've seen all day.

Second, putting on my moderator hat here, let's all be a little bit more aware of how our written comments might be interpreted online. Remember we all are here for support.

We each have our own journeys, strategies, and speedbumps along the way. Fortunately we can learn from each choice, postitive or negative, and allow these lessons to shape the next part of our journeys.

(I'm gonna go check out that deer again!)

Last edited by midwife; 05-31-2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:05 PM   #42  

Quote:
MissKelly,

Good luck with your journey. 3FC is not the place for online arguments and confrontations.

Staying in your corner, and me staying in mine is a general universal lingo which means to end it, to be done with, for us to terminate direct communication with each other for the now to cool things out. No one told you "to go into a corner"anymore than anyone ever said that "protein shakes are more filling than food." Being that you have not had any confrontations due to the fact you do not come often at all, holds no shock value. Hostility is a very dramatic word, and I'll not be lured further into it. We have no more to say to each other. Another time, another place on another day....on a happier more peaceful note together when that time comes.

Last edited by MissKelly; 05-31-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:10 PM   #43  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I think this thread has outlived its original purpose and has veered off topic, so I'm going to go ahead and close it.
Closed Thread