Weight Loss Rewards?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hey everyone,

When we’re successfully losing weight, I know that we’re supposed to find rewards for ourselves that DO NOT involve food. This was hard for me because I’ve always rewarded myself with food, and yes- that’s how I got fat! I felt like I needed rewarding for everything: “Congratulations, you went to work, have 3 cookies!” or “Wow, you just sat through 3 hours of traffic without killing anyone, have a pizza!” or my favorite: “Good job, you just dieted for 7 hours, let’s celebrate with ˝ the McDonald’s menu!”.

Anyway, as it turns out, that reward system didn’t work out so well and I had to come up with a new one. I came up with an idea (that I’m sure someone else has come up with as well!) that has worked for me, keeps me feeling motivated and successful, and I wanted to share it with everyone!

In January, when I decided to make a change for good, I my husband and I went to the mall and bought a tennis bracelet without any charms. For each 10 pounds I lose, he takes me to the mall and I pick out a charm. It’s become a little celebration for me and I really enjoy picking out my charm and adding it to my bracelet. Whenever I’m faced with food temptations, I think about getting my next charm and it usually keeps me straight!

I now have 3 charms, but will hopefully have added my 4th by this time next week. When I reach my weight goal I’ll have NINE beautiful charms that are each special and significant to me in their own way.

Thanks for reading! Does anyone else have any other “Weight Loss Rewards” they want to share?
  • Great post!
    I think that non food rewards are a great idea!

With my new goals I am going to save $1 every day that I stay on track for something special. My trainer has said to save up the money that I would be spending on eating out and put it towards a new dress.
  • I guess for me the reward is the new body I get to live in. Although I think your systems sound great! Learning to reward yourself without food is key.
  • Fun idea. But rewards don't do anything for me. There's no bigger "reward" than the loss itself.
  • I use rewards to make myself more likely to stay on plan/lose more/etc.

1. New workout clothes
    2. New exercise equipment/gadgets (Heart Rate Monitor, iPod, weights, resistance bands, etc)
    3. New iTunes songs to carry me through the workouts
    4. Kitchen gear that supports healthy cooking
    5. New spices/marinades/etc to make my meals more interesting

That way, each reward pushes me closer to the next reward and my goals.
  • I think less of me is the reward. Though, I know logically if I lose enough I will need new clothes. When I first lost I bought a couple pieces but not much.
  • Quote: or my favorite: “Good job, you just dieted for 7 hours, let’s celebrate with ˝ the McDonald’s menu!”.

LOL!

I like the idea of celebrating mini goals with things that make you feel extra special.

I'm just starting - recommiting really, and I have some new books lined up and others on a wishlist that I'll reward myself with. The charm bracelet is a lovely idea, and I really like mandalinn82's rewards too.

A.
  • I'm actually just now heading to Walmart to get myself a cheap pair of size 12L jeans and a size 12 dress that I know will work with my hourglass body shape.

I'm a size 16. I feel the need to have viewable and attainable rewards. Not just "oh... you get a new wardrobe". No... I have to see it there in front of me.

So yeah... that's what I'm doing. Good luck with your endeavor!!
  • I think I'm going to celebrate leaving morbid obesity behind with a new bra. Between the weight loss and gravity "the girls" need a little help.
  • I try rewards, but I'm a compulsive spender and even if I set rewards, I buy the things I want anyway regardless of a loss or not. I need shopaholics anonymous.
  • I'm not doing anything for myself, but my mom is saving a Gap gift card for every 20 pounds I lose because she knows that's my goal store.
  • my mom is buying me a car when i get to a normal weight, i'm very exited about it and it pushes me a little more.
  • Quote: my mom is buying me a car when i get to a normal weight, i'm very exited about it and it pushes me a little more.
    That's what I call motivation!
  • I agree with everyone that the loss itself is enough of a reward, but I do like your jewelry idea, Danielle. You will have a lovely bracelet when you are finished losing. It will also be a great conversation piece and a great motivator for you. Neat idea!
  • My mom came up with the exact same bracelet idea as you--and such a good idea it is!--during my recovery from addiction. I got a new charm once a month and the charm in some way had to relate to the month's events or feelings. It was a nice physical reminder of all of my hard work. Now, as I am nearly two years clean, I can retire the bracelet but it is a constant reminder of how far I've come.