3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I hate you TOM - managing cravings? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/202666-i-hate-you-tom-managing-cravings.html)

ncuneo 05-24-2010 09:56 AM

I hate you TOM - managing cravings?

It's PMS week and I've been seriously struggling with cravings and that bottomless pit called my tummy. Every other week during the month it's completely managable and most of the time I don't give cravings a second thought and I'm completely satisfied with my food plan. But the week before TOM I have ridiculous cravings, I'm extra stressed out and I can't eat enough. Usually I just grin and bear it, but occassionally I slip. Is there anything we can do during this time to help with these issues? I'm at the point I'm ready to start meditating or something.

SCraver 05-24-2010 10:22 AM

You can try to make healthier versions of what you are craving. ex. Make your own pizza with a pita and fresh veggies. Try to snack on veggies to help that bottomless pit feeling. If you crave chocolate - I find a small piece of realy dark chocolate (like 80% cacao from Lindt) is AWSOME. B/c the flavor is so strong, just a little piece helps satisfy my craving. Or maybe it would be easier to plan an extra snack for each day of PMS. Exercise helps me, too.

mkendrick 05-24-2010 12:31 PM

I've never been a coffee or soda drinker, but I've discovered that caffeine really lowers my appetite for a few hours. I drink froo froo coffee when I do drink it, so it's more appealing to my sweet tooth. If you're a regular black coffee drinker, this might not be as satisfying. But I use Foldgers Gourmet Chocolate Truffle coffee and add either caramel sugarfree Coffeemate powder or a Splenda mocha packet. And add milk. With the milk, it's around 25-50cal depending on if I use Splenda or Coffeemate.

For some reason that caffeine, the coffee drinking ritual, and the sweet taste really helps me through TOM cravings.

abreezies 05-25-2010 10:38 AM

I agree with SCraver........I have learned to make healthier versons of the things I crave and to find alternatives for my chocolate cravings. I have this exact same thing happen to me during right before and during the first part of TOM. I tend to crave all the things I should eat in moderation (mostly, chocolate, sugar and carbs).....lol.

Suzyszoo 05-25-2010 11:52 AM

I too am having insane PMS craving. And seemingly little self control this month. I wonder, since on Sunday I took my daughter to the movies, and we had a girls night of pizza and ice cream (albeit skinny cow ice cream and only two small pieces of pizza) if this somehow kick started this craving fest.

I feel huge, bloated, crampy, crabby...just lovely...;)

sweetnlow28 05-25-2010 12:12 PM

No advice here but I can sooo relate!! I never even used to notice the cravings until I started listening to my body more. I am going to try the splenda flavors in my tea mkendrick ;) It may be just enough to get me through the sugar cravings. I find my main enemy is fat and salt during that time. Every pizza or burger commercial makes me feel like smashing the TV LOL