Why can't I tell the weight where to come from?

• Can I will the weight to come from a particular area and not another? No of course I can't but I really wish I could. I'm starting to see bone/ribs above my breast, I've always thought that only happened to really really underweight people. My hands are veiny and boney. Practically none of my rings fit. I had my wedding ring sized down to a 5 1/4 and I think I might have to get it sized again! My elbows are ridiculous! My feet too, and my face it pretty much done...much more I'll look ill. My knees hurt when I'm laying in bed and they are on top of one another. But my tush, my tummy and thighs have a ways to go. So I'm willing these last lbs to come from there...who's with me...let's will that weight to come from our trouble areas!
  • I don't quite have the same issues, since I'm not nearly as far along as you are. But I wish I could will the fat away from my tummy, arms, and thighs... I hope I keep a good part of my boobs! I like them, at least!
    If only weight loss worked that way...
  • maybe you should start working with a personal trainer/nutritionist, work on building lean muscle and ease off of the cardio a bit and try to get the right kinds of foods in your diet?
  • I don't know how scientifically true this is, but I have heard that your biggest areas of fat storage are the last ones you lose. I store most of my fat in my tummy and love handles, and 2 years ago when I dropped 50 lbs, this did hold up true. kinda frustrating, but what can you do? they will still shrink though, so I always say, at least they won't stay this big
  • Quote:
    maybe you should start working with a personal trainer/nutritionist, work on building lean muscle and ease off of the cardio a bit and try to get the right kinds of foods in your diet?
    I just started weight training a couple weeks ago so we'll see how that helps. My diet is pretty good, but maybe I could work on my macro nutrients.
  • I'm in a very similar situation to you. I can count my ribs. I can feel my breastbone. My shoulders are thin and muscular, my wrists are knobby, as are my knees, my thighs are thin, my calves are getting there, my face is downright angular, and my neck is very slim, and I can feel and see my pelvis. It's just my upper arms (although holy cow, are they shrinking fast) and my waist and a bit of tummy hanging on for dear life.

However! That's where it's all been coming off for the last month or so. I'm not a full-on apple shape, at all, but those are my trouble areas, and I'm finding the conventional wisdom about the first areas to get fat being the last areas to let go to be very true. In less than ten pounds, I've knocked 3 or 4 inches off my waist, and my icky upper arms have shrunk a LOT. I'm five pounds out from goal, and I'm so used to thinking that five pounds is totally negligible, but really, it's not at all, once you're in the "normal" range. I think I'll want to go at least five pounds below my goal, once I get there, but I also wouldn't be surprised if this last five pounds makes a really big difference on those bloody stubborn areas.

So hang in there!
  • I hope the weight training helps! I keep looking at the top of my abdomen and wishing the weight would go from there
  • My primary problem area is my tummy (my old nemesis, the upper inner thighs, are still there but overshadowed by the abdomen). As I've lost weight, my tummy has shrunken quite a bit.

It's still a problem area for me. Every other part of my body is fine and I'd rather not lose any more in certain areas. I guess I'm a little disappointed in how I look at this point, but I sure do look a lot better than I did at my high weight!
  • catherinef, thanks so much for sharing this very hopeful news!