3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Curious About Exercise Problems (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/201950-curious-about-exercise-problems.html)

Teeni 05-15-2010 06:04 PM

Curious About Exercise Problems

I honestly not sure if I should post or not, but thought what the heck I could use a little optimism to pick me up. Today is my second day of walking, I know I don't expect miraculous capabilities in that area but I thought I could manage a gentle walk of 2 miles around the trailer park I live in. 4 Laps around the place is a little over 2 miles. For the past two days all I could manage was two laps. My legs start to insanely itch and my back ...the pain become almost unbearable. :( I was wondering if anyone else gets this? Could I be walking funny that would cause my back to hurt? Either way I feel like 2 laps just isn't enough to make any difference in my weightloss. As I type the muscles in my legs are still twitching..I just had no idea something as simple as a slow steady walk could make my body react as such. I say slow cause Im a super slow walker even when I try to go fast my husband says I go Teeni speed..I blame my short legs.:dizzy:

Another thing that confuses me is I have to walk a a little over half a mile each day when I'm taking college classes to get to the bus.. and that is uphill and I didn't seem to have this problem and its only been two weeks since Ive had to do that.

Okay better /turnoff the whining :( Im concerned yall are gonna get tired of listening to me complain soon.

JayEll 05-15-2010 06:32 PM

Even 1 mile is a lot if you're not used to exercise. Good for you for making it that far!

It could be that you have some circulation issues that affect your legs. And if you're not used to walking much, that could cause back pain.

Two suggestions for you-- #1 make sure you have good walking shoes. Buy some high quality athletic type shoes to use when you go for walks. That can make a big difference. #2 see your doctor, tell him or her that you have been walking for health but you have itching legs, and see what they say about it.

Also, consider non-weight-bearing exercise, like pool exercises, exercise bike, etc. Do you have a YMCA in your town? Sometimes you can find a good deal there on membership.

Good luck!
Jay

CyndiM 05-15-2010 07:02 PM

If you have any back problems gravity will be a challenge. When I started walking 1 mile was about all I could do. Even now if I'm having a flare up my stride shortens and my speed drops.

I totally agree with Jay - get good shoes and talk to your doctor about it. If it's a spine problem things like physical therapy and any core strengthening exercises (like pilates) will help a lot. Losing weight and some exercise each day (even 15 or 20 minutes) made the most difference for me.

angelskeep 05-15-2010 07:34 PM

12 weeks ago tomorrow, when I first started, my back was so painful I could only walk around 1 block. Literally, a single miserable measly little block. I just did the best I could. And then I walked around 2 blocks. I also rode my bicycle, which seems to take a lot of pressure off my back. I have a bulging disc, so figured walkng even a little bit was as good as it would get, and I would just have to ride the bike and walk a small amount. Today, I walked a little over 3 miles with mixed terrain. I did the same thing on Thursday evening after I rode the bibycle in the morning.

So...you are probably taking too much too fast. Try a 1/2 mile or a mile. If that seems too easy. try it twice in a day. Also, especially when you are starting out, you'll want to perhaps take a day off in between walking to let your muscles recuperate. You could do a different kind of exercise that uses mostly different muscles, but give your body a chance to catch up.

I swear it does get easier with eveyr poyund I lose, and as I do more I am able to do more, but I still try to do my increases just a ittle at a time. No sense in pushing so hard I get hurt and can't exrcise at all.

Not sure about the itchy legs...heat rash? Maybe some medicated powder is an option to try and if not, then def. ask your doc about it.

Barb

Shmead 05-15-2010 09:54 PM

When I started I couldn't even walk a mile. I couldn't go more than 5 minutes on the stationary bike. So I did what I could do--and I did it twice a day, every day. Slowly--so, so slowly--I increased it. I'll be honest. It was several months before I felt like what I was doing was having any immediate impact. I had to think of it as a long term investment in my ability to manage my weight.

Now, I exercise 100+ minutes a day, every day, in three sessions. I have muscles like you wouldn't believe. I eat 1800 calories a day--a truly obscene amount of food--and lose 2 lbs a week. I am comfortable and easy in my body in a way I never dreamed possible. It took some time to pay off, but it has been so worth it in the long run.

Where you start is not where you'll stay. Do what you can, and do it everyday.

Teeni 05-16-2010 02:06 AM

:) Thank you for the advice and feedback. I really like the idea about breaking the exercise up to twice a day instead of all at once.
And angelskeep I think ill be taking your advice tomorrow as I can feel the pain in my legs, not strong but an ache . Im sure my legs are down there just screaming at me like Im a crazy person "What is this Exercise! How dare you woman." Okay, now enough about my talking legs. Thank you all again

Eliana 05-16-2010 08:06 AM

As soon as I hit the 200 pound mark, my knees started hurting and my back started hurting on walks or just doing dishes at the kitchen sink. Weight loss helps both issues. I carry most of my over-200 weight in my rear. It gives an unnatural C shape to my back, and it's no wonder my back doesn't like it. There are probably some muscles back there, and in your legs too, that are getting more work than they're used to.

I think it's cool that you can map out your home walking like that!! It makes it so much easier to just get out there and do it. Keep going! Over time, you'll be amazed at how much easier it gets and at how quickly too! I make far greater and faster fitness gains than I do weight loss gains.

stella1609 05-16-2010 10:22 AM

You know, it's really funny you mention your legs itching. I hadn't even thought about it til I read your post, but when I first started jogging, my legs would itch like CRAZY--and it was like they were itching on the inside. I haven't had that for a couple of months now. I'm sure as you get in better shape, you're going to have a lot of those aches and pains and discomforts ease (and then you'll have new, good soreness from exercising :) ). Good luck!!!

the slim me 05-16-2010 11:47 AM

Good for you for starting an exercise program. And don't worry about what you're doing, your ability to walk further will increase. I remember the first time I tried to walk I got to the end of the block and sat down and cried. But now i'm walking 4 miles a day and lifting weights 3 days a week. The suggestion to go for 2 walks would work well. Just do what you can the first week and try to increase your time by just a little every week or 2. You will get there. REally!

Palestrina 05-16-2010 12:20 PM

Make sure to stretch after your walks, it really helps with soreness later and keeps your ligaments flexible.

In many cases lower back problems stem from weak abdominal muslces. If you're carrying around a lot of weight in your mid section you might experience more back problems, so this will eventually go away as your lose weight.

Don't give up and don't doubt yourself, don't stop walking whatever you do. It gets better.

dragonwoman64 05-16-2010 02:41 PM

I used to watch little old ladies speed past me, I walked so slow(!)

I had those problems too (back pain). hang in there; I agree with the advice. good support (shoes) and form (feet straight, walk heel to toe, don't slam down the feet). those things are important to me, being bigger and carrying more weight.

I'm wondering if the itching isn't lactic acid buildup. I experienced that, for me it was more like a burning than itching. as I got into better shape it went away completely.