I'm over this scale...

• I think I'm totally done using the scale as a measure of my weight-loss. I'm officially mad at it and at my body.

The main reason is my weight fluctuates so much when I have any form of alcohol, and takes about three days or so to get back to normal. I will often have a beer with dinner or go out with friends (budgeted into my calorie allowance, of course), so there may be weeks where I can't get a good/accurate read of the scale. And that bugs me.

(This is not to say I *can't* go without beer twice a week. I just choose not to.)

Even when I take alcohol weight into account, I can't be completely sure it's correct because sometimes a night out will have an effect on me and sometimes it won't. Same with a beer or glass of wine with dinner.

The only problem now is how do I measure my progress? Inches and clothes sizes aren't as good since it takes more than a pound or five to see results. In short, no immediate gratification. Hmf.

Any suggestions?
  • I feel the urge to respond though I don't have any easy answers? Sorry! If you know that what you are doing (i.e. watching your intake/making healthier choices) is making a difference - screw the scale. One thing I've learned in my short time here, pounds mean nothing - sizes mean nothing - it's all about how you feel at the weight you are.

Does that make sense?

I posted about how I was discouraged reading posts where people who weighed more than me can fit into smaller sizes. I didn't get it. There are so many factors - hips come in all sizes right?

If you are slowly but surely climbing your way down that ladder - that's what is important.

You said"This is not to say I *can't* go without beer twice a week. I just choose not to."

Me too. It's why I like the WW points method. I account for the alcohol I drink - it might affect the scale - but I have really seen a difference already, in the healthier food choices I have been making.

Have you tried keeping track of inches vs. pounds?
  • I would suggest doing inches and coss referencing with the scale, You may be gaining muscle in a certian part of your body and still be getting smaller.

But if you want immediate gratification, I think you have to rely on your scale but don't take it into account so much. I'm having one of those weeks, I had a glass of wine each night last week and my weight was nice and low, this week I had one rum and coke after work and I've been bloated since.