Anyone else suprised at what size they are?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • I'm finally in a size 10 and it happened sooner than I thought. I guess the running must have made me gain some muscle because I never thought in my wildest dreams I'd be a size 10 at 159 lbs. So now I'm trying to figure out what size I'm going to be at my goal which is in a minimum of 11lbs but as many as 21 lbs. At first I think it was taking like 20-30lbs to lose a size but now it seems like it's taking 5-10. So at that rate in 11lbs I *could* be a 6/8. I just started weight training too, so who knows how that would effect my size. Ahhhh...the suspense is killing my...I always thought I knew what size I'd be at my goal, but now I have absolutely no idea. With weight training and maybe a couple lbs past my goal, who know could I get down to a 4/6...that is INSANE!
  • I was VERY surprised! I was a size 12 in 5th grade, and that's the earliest I remember paying attention. The skinniest I had ever been was a 9/10 for a summer, and that seemed tiiiny to me at the time. The dresses and jeans I bought then are potato sacks on me now.

I now consistantly wear 4-6, no matter what the brand or store. I bought a summerdress yesterday that was on a size 2 hanger in the Juniors section! Not that I could fit in size 2 jeans, but a forgiving cotton dress, yes.

I had no idea I'd end up this small, it's almost kind of alarming, lol. I was certainly not aiming to get to 2's or 4's. Even 6's seemed out of reach.
  • Me!
    I was a size 24 when I was 239 pounds and now at 133 I'm a size 8/10.
    I've never been a size 8/10 in my adult life; in fact, the lowest weight I recall being was 145 in high school.
  • I totally feel you on this one, especially today! I went shopping today, and found that a 12 literally fell off of me. I was on such a high from that, I didn't even try on anything smaller and just decided to be happy I was smaller than 12. But part of the reason I'm trying to lose weight right now is to fit into my wedding dress - which I already fit into, I just wanted it to fit better. And now it may just not fit at all if I get to goal. And neither will anything else in my closet.
    I may not be wealthy enough for weight loss.
  • Quote:
    I may not be wealthy enough for weight loss.
    Haha! This is becoming a MAJOR problem for me!
  • I totally am surprised! I started in a super tight 20W (needed a 22)
    MY dream size was to wear an 8

Now I weigh 156 to 158 depending on "TOM" LOL And I am wearing 6's in womens in all brands,7's in Juniors sizes in all brands , & 4's in levis~(but stretchy denim levis 515 navou~or however you spell it~Just that certain brand so far) But my other
    4's are super close to fitting too in other brands ! My dream size was an 8~(my smallest ever being a 13/14 in the 6th grade) & to have gotten smaller is beyond My wildest dreams! I may end up in a 2 by the time I am done Or at least my 4~cause I may go as low as 135...Instead of 150.
  • Related to this: does anyone else find the size charts completely inaccurate? It's either that or I have no idea how to measure myself. According to Target's charts, I should be wearing an 18--a snug 18. I am sitting here in a pair of Target 12s, and they are snug, but the size 14 pants I have from there really aren't tight at all, and I can pull the 16s up and down without unbuttoning, and I can grab handfuls of cloth in the crotch and ***.

They say to measure holding the tape loosely. Do they assume everyone actually pulls it 3 inches into their skin?
  • It's the total opposite for me I must not have lost enough weight yet. Or be doing enough strength training. I'm 5'4" and 109 and still fit into size 4's...

MrsLovett
  • Either I am a radically different shape than other people around, or the stores I shop in use totally different sizes. I'm always mystified reading how other people are fitting into much smaller sizes at the same weight as me. Or do I just wear my clothes looser than other people? At 183 I wore a 14. Now I'm at 142 with a 32" waist and 38" hips and I am just fitting into a UK size 12 in H&M and Marks and Spencer, which should be a U.S. 8-10. And I think with exercise my thighs are getting bigger. Now in my US size 10 pants the waist and hips are getting baggy, and the thighs and butt are getting tighter.
  • Oh yes! Did you know they make scrub pants in an xxsmall? On the other hand ... I have a pair of smalls that are tight in the thighs.
    My newest cardigan is a large. My good suit is a 6 that I had altered. My favourite blouse is a 10.
    Makes no sense whatsoever!

It's no bloomin' wonder we rely so much on our scales!
  • I was barely squeezing into a size 26/28, the largest size available at the stores. I was certain I was headed for strictly catalog shopping and that is one thing that gave me the final push to lose the weight.

When I was at my slimmest, which was not all that slim, back when I was in my late teens very early 20's I was wearing size 13/14. So I am shocked that I wear a size 4. I've even have a few things that are size 2.

BUT, you can thank vanity sizing for that. Without a doubt, sizing has changed since long ago. I really don't like it. It doesn't make me feel better that I wear a size 4, in fact it gives me a false sense of security. I'd be fine wearing a size 8 or 10, if it were indeed the size 8 or 10 of long ago. So yes, I am wearing a size 4 but they are NOT the same size 4's that it used to be.

I don't know where the real skinny, skinny people are shopping and what size they are wearing - multiple negative 00, perhaps?

Quote:
    At first I think it was taking like 20-30lbs to lose a size but now it seems like it's taking 5-10.
    Absolutely. There is a much narrower range between sizes as they get smaller.
  • I really want to know more about vanity sizing...when it changed, how much it's changed...I think I need to do some googling. It would certainly answer some questions about where I am now vs. where I was 11 years ago.
  • I don't think there's been that much of a change in particular. I have clothes that are 5-6 years old and they fit me the same at the same size as new clothes in the same brands. I've noticed more that certain cuts of clothing fit differently too.

I'm 159 and a size 10 too, 39-29-39. It's interesting to hear what other people weigh with what measurements and height--you learn how different we all really are. I expect to be a size 8 at 145, or maybe even 150. It seems strange to be in such a small size at such a high weight, but I work out a lot and I have an hourglass figure.
  • I've only lost 10lbs so far so I don't see that big of a change. Though, I do notice that I'm starting to fit into some tinier pants slowly but surely.
  • Quote: I was barely squeezing into a size 26/28, the largest size available at the stores. I was certain I was headed for strictly catalog shopping and that is one thing that gave me the final push to lose the weight.

When I was at my slimmest, which was not all that slim, back when I was in my late teens very early 20's I was wearing size 13/14. So I am shocked that I wear a size 4. I've even have a few things that are size 2.

BUT, you can thank vanity sizing for that. Without a doubt, sizing has changed since long ago. I really don't like it. It doesn't make me feel better that I wear a size 4, in fact it gives me a false sense of security. I'd be fine wearing a size 8 or 10, if it were indeed the size 8 or 10 of long ago. So yes, I am wearing a size 4 but they are NOT the same size 4's that it used to be.

I don't know where the real skinny, skinny people are shopping and what size they are wearing - multiple negative 00, perhaps?

Absolutely. There is a much narrower range between sizes as they get smaller.
    At my smallest, in High School as a teenager, I was a size 12 pants, large shirt. I never got to a size 10 ever lol.

I'm not near my goal weight, but speaking from someone who did have to wear clothes from online sources and now able to go to stores, even places like Target... I feel like there isn't a real standard anymore with sizing. I remember when I was a teen going from store to store, state to state, and the sizing would be pretty much the same. Now I kind of feel like I really have to try things on because it is really hard to figure out the sizing. For example...I can squeeze into 2x pant from Target (which is about the same size as a 22/24 when I compare), non-plus section, but if I go and try on plus size jeans I have to get like a 26/28 when I'm a 22/24 from most places. With shirts it is the same, like one store I'm a 3x, but another I'm 1x.

I feel like some stores want you to feel smaller than you really are, but others I feel like I'm swimming in the clothes.

I find ordering online now, problematic. I recently ordered stuff from online and luckily it all fit great, but I was ordering knit pants and workout clothes lol. Whatever...but like with jeans and other types of tops there is no way I can order that stuff online.