Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:59 AM   #1  

Lightbulb Going Gluten free and still trying to lose weight....

People do say that those who change their diet naturally lose weight, that is great, but I'm stuck.
The doctor told me to try to go gluten free as he feels I have a "sensitivity". Great, now what?
So far, the book I took from the library is very informative and I ordered two books on the subject from Amazon (one is a cook book, thank God) but I am going through a complete change. Right now, the WW points program is the least of my worries as I also have had a recent diverticulitis attack, so no nuts, seeds and popcorn.
I'm scratching my head and wondering what I can eat. In the meantime, the recipes I have found have some rather expensive and obscure ingredients. I bought a few things at my market, but it would appear that I'll have to travel far away to a health food store or do mail order.
How are you surviving gluten free in a world full of things made with all kinds of wheat products? Can you still lose weight and can you find foods that fill your needs?
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:42 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I love Elanas pantry, good recipes and healthy ingredients. I haven't needed to go completely gluten free but have cut wheat out because it was definitely causing problems. Good luck
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #3  

Thanks Cyndi, love your bird photo, is that a photo you took or art, hard to tell due to the size. I'm an artist and love to do birds. Have a current exhibit at the local library of all my bird art right now.
I will check out that site.
I was going to try to make my normal fat free banana bread today but substitute a flour blend that I purchased at the store. From what I read, I have to put in xanthan gum (spelling?) in order to bind the flour or something of that nature. It's worth a try.
I think experimentation is a good thing.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Linda - Check out some of the bean brownie and cookie recipes floating around the net too. I make a mock snack cake that we love. The Dr. Oz website also has a triple chocolate cookie recipe I've been dying to try.

That's a mockingbird photo from a very gray, wet day at Plum Island. We do a lot of birding and a lot of photography. The NWS center at Parker River has started having featured artists every month. Might be worth checking into.

Last edited by CyndiM; 05-08-2010 at 08:05 AM.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #5  

I have Celiac and found using all the different flours actually made me gain weight. I have started the Specific Carbohydrate Diet and that is helping me lose weight.

But if you'd like to try going gluten free to lose weight I'd recommend you only bake once a week, stay away from pasta, eat more veggies than fruits, no sugar, and keep in mind rice and corn also have their own gluten and you might have a problem with them as well-like I do. Don't buy 20 different flours unless you really want too. I use (when I'm not on the SCD) Orgran All purpose flour, or Better Batter, orJules Nearly Normal, or Pamelas.
Good Luck!
Nicolicanoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:51 AM   #6  

Cyndi, I live kind of near Plum Island, will have to go there with my camera one day.
I think I am learning more and more and that losing weight might be easier as the snack foods that contain gluten are definitely for the others in my family, now. I simply cannot have them. That is a good thing for me, believe me.
I'm really in need of a decent every day bread recipe that tastes good, can be made in my bread machine and that the ingredients are easy to find.
Also, made a flourless chocolate cake last night that the entire family loved. I won't be doing that every day, but I do need to have once in awhile treats.
Anyone found any brands of fat free or low fat frozen ice cream or yogurts that are gluten free?
Old 05-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #7  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

A thread that relates to me!

I have the same problem, stay away from gluten free breads! They are super high calorie for how small they are, I eat them rarely. For breakfast I have fruit with cottage cheese, or I have rice cakes with peanut butter on them (thought I see you have an issue with nuts right now). For a snack I have a banana or an apple, and for lunch I have a meat (usually baked chicken breast) with some steam vegtables that I've made the night before, or a salad with tuna on it. Dinner I find the easiest.

I'll be honest, I eat a lot of protein and fruit and veggies. I rarely eat carbs, though it is easy to eat carbs with a gluten free diet it's just that those carbs are sometimes really really bad for you.

Hope this gives you some idea, as well as celiac.com has a forum which has a area just for support of those suffering from an intolerance or an allergy. It's funny because they typically say celiacs are thin and short, but there are many with weight issues who are trying to recover and stay healthy. Not trying to shoot down this forum, but it doesn't have a section for people like us and you'll find more information there.

Sorry for the long type, I'm just excited there are others here like me, maybe one day we can suggest a subforum for people like us
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:25 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I've been following Primal Blueprint. No grains at all! And it's not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. We have a thread here. The link is in my signature.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:41 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I know there are actually quite a few gluten free vegans and they tend to eat a lot of legumes and veggies.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:47 AM   #10  
Losing the baby weight

I didn't know we had a gluten free section, it just looks like a 'carb counting' section. Being gluten free doesn't mean no carbs, it means no wheat, barley, or rye. I can still have rice, and other carb products.

Could you explain further how it is celiac related specifically? (not meaning to hijack either, just so we are all aware)
Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 201/ticker/125

Height: 5'

derrydaughter- I recently went through a lot of stomach pains and problems and one of the possible culprits was gluten. Of course, I freaked out and did mass research all day and realized that while the diet was doable, I really, really didn't want to have to follow it. Luckily, celiac was not my case.

So, he "feels" you have a "sensitivity." Before changing everything around, wouldn't you want to know for sure? I'm really curious what your problems are, and how similar they were to mine. My Doctor diagnosed me as IBS in the end, and prescribed anti-spasmodic drugs and fiber. Neither helped AT ALL. I did my own research and came up with a different answer. With a different solution. And it WORKS.

I guess I was soured by the whole experience. The man was a very good doctor- my mom knows him from her work at the hospital and nurses sure know the truth about doctors. But his answer was the, "I don't know" condition. Trust me, the title "doctor" does not make them smart, all knowing, and open minded. I will no longer put my faith in them 100%.

So, maybe it was just your wording. Maybe you're not concerned by it. But there is a shocking number of people who trust doctors blindly. And for something that is going to completely alter your life, I'd want to be SURE. I mean, "gluten-free" is not exactly a weight loss diet- it's a diet meant to treat a condition.

Yep, not much help here on the what-to-eat thing. I'll get off my . Your post just hit a little close to home. (If you want to know more of my story/solution, let me know. I'd be happy to help.)
Gold32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:32 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephanieM View Post
I didn't know we had a gluten free section, it just looks like a 'carb counting' section.

The main page of 3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community is divided into categories that are pretty widely encompassing. I'm sure you'll find gluten intolerant posters in calorie counters, carb counters, Beck, obstacles, weight lifters ...
When I decided to start a thread about primal eating, I chose carb counters because that's what I was trying to do ... lower my carb intake.

Join an existing gluten free thread or create your own. Your experience makes your input quite valuable wherever you put it.

Perhaps folks will post a link to their favourite gluten free threads.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:34 PM   #13  
Losing the baby weight

That would be nice I'll have a look around.

It's quite hard to test for Celiac disease, and both I and my fiancees best friend got negative blood test results but everything was fixed by going off gluten. They often also misdiagnose it as IBS, like they did with my mom who has the same thing. Trying the diet is the best way to tell, unless they do a biopsy which neither of us wanted to do. I have energy and I feel healthy and happy every day, no more nauseau in the morning from toast!

Doctors don't know much about Celiac disease as well, I had to search online to find how my diet should be. And it's easy to fall into lazy habits of eating chips and rice chips all the time. Keep it fresh, try to incorporate fruit/veggies and a protien into every meal.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:08 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 165/140/105-115

I'm new to this forum, and have not yet formally introduced myself, but am losing weight gluten-free, so wanted to share my experience.

My son has celiac, so our household eats gluten free. The truth is, when you have a health condition that requires a special diet, you may have to travel to health food stores to find the foods that you need (Whole foods is 45 minutes away from us- we go about once a month to stock up). In the past, I have belonged to a United foods buyers coop, and it enables you to buy natural food in bulk quantities to save $. United's headquarters are in Keene, so I imagine there is a group in your area). In our family, I save $ by cooking from scratch, but it is still more expensive than traditional eating.

I have been losing weight by eating smaller portions of the healthy foods that our family already eats. Breakfast might be a very small bowl of ceral, a scrambled egg and a stalk of celery. We also do "rice and eggs", which is leftover rice cooked up with eggs and veggis. I eat a very small bowl with some additonal veggi sticks on the side. I do bake muffins and such using natural sweeteners and a higher fiber gf flour blend, but I just eat one at a time (with veggis on the side). Lunch is dinner leftovers or a slice of gf toast with sunflower butter (and veggis!). At dinner, we usually do veggis (there they are again ) or a salad, meat or beans and a starch (brown rice, brown rice pasta, or potatoes w/skins). I eat a very small portion of starch (about 1/4 cup), but will often skip it if I feel like I've had too many carbs that day (like on the day I eat a muffin for breakfast).

A few tips that have helped me along the way:

-Tinkyada brown rice pasta in amazing! We make it for company and no one can tell it isn't regular pasta. The great thing is, that it is often available in standard grocery stores (we've lived all over the country, and have only lived one place where it is not available locally). It is expensive, but that's good, since we oughtn't eat too much of it anyway!

-I don't own any gluten-free cookbooks (though I love to cook and own a lot of cookbooks). If you cook from scratch, almost any recipe can be easily converted to gluten free. For baked goods like muffins and quick-breads that call for white flour, I substitute my own gf flour mix of 2 parts brown rice flour to 1 part sorghum flour to 1 part tapioca flour (ie, for 2 cups of flour, you would use 1c brown rice, 1/2c sorghum and 1/2c tapioca). Brown rice and Sorghum are whole grains, but they are lighter than whole wheat. These baked goods come out wonderful and moist, but they are a bit crumbly compared to traditional baked goods (adding an extra egg helps).

-We eat a lot of soups. Throw in meat or beans, tons of veggis and a little brown rice or pasta- delicious! (I eat a small bowl, and add a small salad).

-As you can probably see from above, I don't do low fat or low cal foods. Everyone has to decide for themselves what works for them, but for me, eating healthy fats (ie-no margarine or trans fats) and whole grains in small portions keeps me fuller longer. I find this especially helpful when eating gf.

I hope this info is helpful to you (and sorry that what I wrote is so long).

-Sarah

ps- This must be the New England thread. I grew up in NH (Merrimack), lived in Vermont for 6 years and used to love to go to Plum island with friends when I lived on the North Shore .

Last edited by SarahBeth; 05-15-2010 at 09:11 PM.
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 165/140/105-115

Forgot to add- though I don't have a gf bread machine recipe, we buy Food for Life brown rice pecan or almond bread. It has fewer starchy flours and is higher fiber and protein than most gf breads. It is expensive, though.

I've found it at many grocery stores in the frozen, natural foods section.
SarahBeth is offline   Reply With Quote