Cold & hungry!

• Ever since I've started to lose weight I've been cold! I've never been a cold person but this entire winter and spring I've been freezing!!! Hubby says it's because my body is constantly having to adjust to less fat but I don't think I've lost enough to be as cold as I am. It hasn't been quick weight loss either! Only about a pound a week.

And lately I've just been hungry for junk food! I've was doing really well, not eating it at all. Now lately I find myself saying "Oh, just one piece" more and more often. I had to go for a walk last night just to get away from the food.

What's wrong with me???
  • As to being cold all the time, that's very normal. I think most of us who have lost any significant quantity of weight complain of that same issue. Learn to dress in layers, and keep the electric blanket ready on your bed

About the junk food, perhaps you're not eating enough calories; or perhaps you should try quitting junk completely rather than including "moderate" quantities of it in your diet (many of us are not able to be "moderate" at all about certain foods which are sure diet killers); or perhaps you should figure out why you're wanting the junk and fix the cause.
  • Your metabolic rate is adjusting. Anyweight loss (sadley) will slow down your metabolic rate, which is the furnace that heats your body. PLus since you are losing (even if slowly) your body is trying to hold on to the wieght because it doesn;t know your dieting, it thinks you might be starving. That survival mechanism is diverting energy as best it can and conserving calories. I have issues with this everytime I cut calories, EXCEPT when I lift weights. When I was lifting consistently I would actually run hot! I think wieght lifting is doing a good job at stoaking the metabolic furnace. Of ocurse at that time I was only restricting calories a little. If you are restricting alot you may feel cold even when lifting weights.
  • Thanks for the tips, I don't do much with weights maybe I'll start doing that more. I am really careful to eat balanced meals, I check portions and I think I'm doing alright there. I probably eat more then I "should" if you count the calories.

I've tried cutting out junk food completely and I just go crazy and binge. It's gotten tougher now though since my step daughter has moved in with us... there's a lot more snacky food in the house. I guess I'll just have to do a better job of saying no.
  • i would make sure you are not getting anemic. Those are tell tales signs. Especially if you are anything of mediterranean origin and/or have heavy periods.
  • Could also be thyroid related.
  • re:
    Quote: Could also be thyroid related.
    good point 907, also have you been eating alot of soy lately? that can supress a formely good thyroid in some people.

i mentioned cold and hungry...because I had my thyroid checked with the same symptoms but it came back ok. However, i had been eating oysters (very high in iron) for 3 days straight and my hemoglobin still came back at only 10.
  • I actually hope I am one of the people who starts freezing after I lose weight! I am nearly always hot and uncomfortable. It was 40 degrees out today and raining, I was still out in a t-shirt and sandles. O-o
  • I don't think I'm anemic but I have a dr appt in a few weeks so I'll be sure to ask her about these things. My sister has a thyroid problem, can it run in families?

The only mediterranean in me is the hummus I had today and I haven't had soy in I can't remember how long.