Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #1  
I'm On A Goal!

S/C/G: 193/193/155

Height: 5'7

Default I need some support, ladies! I'm feeling discouraged!

Hey ladies! I just started working out (I am on my A game now!) I'm pretty young (early 20s) so I'm hoping it'll be "easier" for me.

I have been working out for about a week and a half, and I haven't even lost 0.02! I've been eating (I used to eat 1-2 meals a day, no breakfast - and always fast food)
I've been going to the gym. (about 15-30 minutes total of cardio on the days I do weights and focus on weights. the days I do cardio it's about 45 minutes)

I haven't seen one change!!! NOT ONE. I'm discouraged, like whoa. I was so excited and nothing now.
I weigh 193 and I'm trying to lose 50lbs.. but I just need some support to get me thru this hurdle.

Thanks, chicks!
twiztid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #2  
I am losing it!

S/C/G: 265/ticker/195

Height: 6.1

First, breathe. Second, realize you just started... changes will happen soon but be patient. Stressing out really makes the pounds stay on. Keep doing what you are doing! Stay on this forum, it's a great place to vent & get support! YAY you for making healthy changes & choices!!
Veil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #3  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Weight loss is about 80% what you eat, and 20% exercise. Or as they say, "fat loss begins in the kitchen." What are you eating? Exercise alone will not lose you 50 pounds.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 155/132/130

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarMaiden View Post
Weight loss is about 80% what you eat, and 20% exercise. Or as they say, "fat loss begins in the kitchen." What are you eating? Exercise alone will not lose you 50 pounds.
Well said! I had exactly the same frustration when I began running regularly about a year ago. I noticed my fitness level had improved and I had a little more energy, but I didn't lose any weight. There was an interesting article in TIME magazine about why we don't lose weight with exercise. One of the reasons listed was that people often burn a limited number of calories in the gym (say 300 or so for example) but then go out and reward themselves afterward by having a 600 calorie muffin at starbucks.

When I started really watching what I ate, THAT was when I saw the pounds really start to come off. Exercise is still really important for a couple of reasons though. First off, of course it helps you burn extra calories (yay!). However, another nice thing about exercise is that increase your muscle mass will increase your basal metabolic rate, meaning that even by doing nothing you'll burn more calories. Also, by exercising and dieting at the same time, you'll lose a higher percentage of fat vs muscle.

One other thing to keep in mind though is that our body weights will vary naturally up to about 5 pounds throughout the day based on what we've eaten, our level of hydration, etc so it's difficult to notice trends right away. This is the reason that so many weight loss programs recommended weighing in less frequently so you don't get discourage by the day-to-day variations.

Also, remember that when you're working out you're building muscle which weighs more than fat. So, in the beginning you may be building muscle pretty quickly and also burning fat so you may be making great progress and just might not be seeing it as quickly as you'd like.

Good luck and don't give up!
AnnieCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #5  
I'm On A Goal!

S/C/G: 193/193/155

Height: 5'7

Thanks everyone! I can see where I should make some changes in my diet.

I'm eating eggs, toast and a banana for breakfast. Or a bagel. Or cherios.
Lunch I normally eat a salad or a chicken wrap or sandwhich
dinner I haven't been making smart choices, so I will monitor my dinner and change it up!!

Thanks so much! Hopefully in a few weeks, I'll give you a great update! Any suggestions for me in terms of food? I'm clueless for that! Lol
twiztid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #6  
One day at a time :)

S/C/G: 157/134/122

Height: 5'3"

Make your plate two parts vegetable, one part carb, one part protein. Limit the carb to about 100 calories (A grainy roll, a sweet potato, etc.). Vegetables are almost nothing, but I count my daily intake to be about 70 calories. Protein, try to go for lighter protein, like fish (salmon is about 50 calories an ounce) or turkey (30 calories in a deli slice of 1 oz.) or chicken (52 calories I believe in one ounce of skinless white meat). My dinner is my largest meal of the day, so you can adjust accordingly. Good luck! And if you feel "THE CRAVE" for candy or sweets after dinner, I eat a weight watchers ice cream cup most of the time. The flavors are awesome!
ElanaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:08 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztid View Post
I'm eating eggs, toast and a banana for breakfast. Or a bagel. Or cherios.
Lunch I normally eat a salad or a chicken wrap or sandwhich
dinner I haven't been making smart choices, so I will monitor my dinner and change it up!!
I think if you replace carbs in the afternoon with vegetables and lean protein (turkey, chicken, fish) it will help you to speed up weight loss.

Just an idea…every Sunday I stew broccoli, spinach, carrot, sweet pepper, celery and beans with tomato paste and 1 tbs of soy oil. I add different spices every time. This is what I eat every day for lunch (1 cup). Beans are nice source of protein and it feels you up. Healthy and very law calorie. Also try not to have any carbs at all for dinner.

Last edited by onthedietagain; 05-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote