Steel Magnolias -- #192

• Good Evening, Flowers!
    I have been a busy bee today! I knew the fan lights were dusty but not quite that dusty! Cleaning one thing led to cleaning another and another and another. Tomorrow I finish cleaning the things that can been seen and fix the food. I made a spinach dip tonight -- it's very simple but makes so much that I just never make it unless I have other people to help eat it.

Maggie -- I'm so glad that Will is home once again. I'm sure that this is as hard on you as it is on him. Being a caregiver is not easy, I know. {{HUGS}}

I am off to catch the news and head for bed! Have a relaxing Sunday, Flowers!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • I'm taking a quick break from fixing food and cleaning the last items on my list. Bob wants to hang around and ask if anyone else does as much cleaning as I do, when it's their turn to host. My house needed it after sanding sheet rock!

It's been a beautiful day here -- 73 degrees, bright blue sky, no clouds, and NO WIND for a change! We walked early this morning and think we will head out again before dark at 8 PM.

Hope you are all having a relaxing day in your neighborhood.
    See you tomorrow!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Evening Flowers,

It's a soggy one here........finally!

Jean, you put me to shame with all your cleaning, as I look out my dirty windows. Now that it's cooled off, my goal is to get at them soon.
    Am off to KY in the morning. The 45 year old son of a dear friend died Friday morning of a massive coronary. He was on the phone, and by the time they got him to the hospital he was gone. Anyway, my son and I are going up for the service, will spend the night in the town where he went to college, and be home Tues. eve. in time for me to do WW. The other clerk is on vacation this week, so if I'm not there we're in real trouble. I must remember to call the clerk who works on Thurs. nights to see if she can step in to help.

Maggie, Hope you and Cowboy are getting things back to normal, and he's feeling better with your TLC. I have a friend in Ontario who's having a gall bladder removal tomorrow........he goes into surgery at 9, and should be HOME by 2PM, unless he has an adverse reaction to the anesthesia.........they don't mess around up north of the border. He lives alone, but the doc knows that and isn't concerned, so I guess he'll be fine. Being an eligible bachelor, I suspect there'll be lots of volunteers willing to come in and play nurs

Best go figure out what I"m wearing to the funeral tomorrow. I've given away most of my clothes, and won't replace them until I'm down another size. I'll just have to fake it.

Have a great week youall.
    Bubbles
  • Weigh Day
    GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

It has been another real busy day here taking Cowboy for his IV and getting his meds all straightened out. Our regular doc believes like we do - less is better ~ so he dropped him off two of the meds he has been taking since he got out of the hospital. Evidently his BP must have been running high when in the hospital and one of the meds was for lowering it - today his BP check showed him low so he no longer needs that med for sure. He usually always is in the normal rage for BP. I take him in to the local little hospital tomorrow to talk with the gal in charge of getting his IV's done there from now on instead of my having to drive him down the mountain every day. He continues to look better each day and gain a little bit of his strength back. Poor dear lost 12 pounds while in the hospital. He wanted to lose some but not that quickly and never dreamed of doing it the bug's way. I showed a 0.8 loss this week which certainly surprised me for I was not eating properly at all.

Have a good evening folks ~ type at you tomorrow.
  • Good Evening, Flowers!
    It's very humid here tonight -- everything feels sticky! Well, card club has come and gone, I took left over food to school today and sent some to the office with DH. No tempting food around here!

I left school early today and we took my MIL to Omaha to catch the plane to AZ. I called to check on my dad and he has been put back in the hosptial where he had his radiation treatments. His body chemistry is all whacky again plus he has pneumonia along with it. He's on oxygen and IVs tonight; they will start doing some tests tomorrow to see if they can figure out what is causing all of this. His hometown doctor sent him back to his oncologist this time so he's in a bigger hospital that is connected to Mayo. My stepsister and her HD are there from AZ -- he is a retired radiologist so he knows all the right quetions to ask.

Bubs -- I knew my "crooks and crannies" were grubby but I just didn't know HOW grubby! My bedrooms still aren't finished but they are looking better! I'm sorry to hear about your friend's son, much too young. Have a safe trip.

Maggie -- I'm glad to hear that you and Will are hanging in there. Congratulations on the loss again this week!

I am heading for bed! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

Jean -- in Iowa!
  • Hi All,
    The iron monster says I was up .2 last night, and if that's so it's a gift. We ate all the wrong stuff on the road, and Monday night after we got to the motel, my son went to visit his college roommate, and I sat up in the room reading and eating about a half of a package of those sinful Riesen things..............once a fat head, always a fat head, I'm afraid.

Jean,
    I'm so sorry about your dad. The medical roller coaster is so debilitating! And trying to teach on top of it! At least you have a family member who can "translate" for you. When my aunt was so sick, it was the fear of the unknown that just about did me in.

Maggie,
    Glad to hear Cowboy seems to be doing better. Being able to go to the local hospital will be great.

Alec's service was a real celebration of his life. His older siblings spoke, telling funny anecdotes about him. Then his daughter's Jr. High school buddies had written a poem which they delivered.......that did us all in. So we laughed and cried, and afterward went to his favorite "pub", which has a gorgeous porch and patio on the Ohio River, so lots of visiting and reminiscing was done. It was a great way to end a sad day. The river was gorgeous, and very busy with coal barges going up and down the river, as well as the pleasure boats. The mountains across the river, with the sun going down were perfect.
    I've been a slug today. I'm getting too old for these long trips up and back. My son made me feel good, because he was almost as stove up as I Guess there's hope for the old girl yet.

Does anyone know of a sugar free cake mix? We have a diabetic woman who wants to make some pumpkin mufffins and is looking for some. I looked at our Krogers today, but no luck.

Hard to believe hump day is almost over..........I know that breaks everyone's heart Have a great evening.

Bubs
  • Good Afternoon, Flowers!
    We got up to thunder, lightning, and rain -- it's been raining off and on all day. Two more days of Homecoming and it will be over for another year! The older I get, the less I enjoy it! *sigh*

I didn't weigh in last night because I was sitting at the airport in Omaha. I have been "hungry" for 2 weeks and eating things I shouldn't. I've got to get back on track or I will gain back what I worked so hard to lose. What is the matter with me!

Bubs -- You will have the teeny gain gone in no time! You can do it! I can just picture the river scene -- sounds so relaxing. I could never get up and speak at a funeral and do admire those that can. I can cry at a funeral for someone I don't even know! When we had the memorial service for my FIL, we had a gal sing several of his favorite songs. They were golfing friends and she had little stories to tell about their travels to tournaments. I know it meant a lot to my MIL and it seemed to make it more of a celebration. I will call and check on my dad after we eat tonight. I'm hoping that his day was a better one!

Hope you all have a terrific Thursday!

Jean -- from Iowa!
  • Hi All,
    How well I remember Homecoming Week, Jean! There wasn't any learning going on that week, I can tell 'ya! For my kids, however, anything involving the use of social skills I considered a learning experience and we would talk about appropriate behaviour.
    Went to the trail today. Jimmy got his nose on something, and the next thing we knew he was in the river, on his way across. Tom freaked a little, but as soon as I called him he did a "U"turn and headed back to shore. One would think he was a retriever the way he loves the water. Came home and bathed him, so he smells much better I'm going to have to frequent some garage sales to see if I can find some old towels for him. I don't know what happened to all of ours, but they're gone. Probably never made it home from college with my son.
    The tree trimmer was here this morning. He's thinning out the two big Maples in my front yard. What a difference! He was only able to do one, as someone had parked in front of the other and probably wouldn't have appreciated a dented car, so I put a note on their windshield and he'll be back to finish it up in the AM.

Off to get ready for the hospital WW class.
    Happy Friday to all!
    Bubs
  • Thursday which is Friday Eve
    GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I am still a busy person taking Cowboy back and forth to the hospital for his IV drip every day and then running errands. It is not a bother to me at all for I love being the chauffer in my car. He is steadily getting stronger and gaining his stanima back.

BUBBLES I don't know of a sugarless cake mix but that doesn't mean one doesnt exist. I have a delicious Pumpkin Muffin recipe that you make from scratch and I will type it below so you can give to your friend if you wish. It uses Splenda sweetener instead of sugar which is recommended for diabetics.

PUMPKIN MUFFINS ~ Serves 12 ~ 1 POINT per muffin
    2/3 cup powdered milk
    2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
    1 tsp. baking soda
    4 Tbsp. Splenda granular
    6 Tbsp. all purpose flour
    2 eggs
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 cup canned pumpkin
    1/2 cup grated carrots
    4 Tbsp. raisins

Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Spray 12-cup muffin tin with non stick cooking spray.

Combine the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl combine eggs and vanilla. Mix in the pumpkin, add dry ingredients and the carrots and raisins.

Divide the batter into the 12 muffin cups and bake for 14 minutes
    DO NOT over bake.
    Great with a smear of fat free cream cheese on a warm top.

Everyone have a lovely day tomorrow.
  • Good Morning Magnolias,

Maggie,
    Thanks for the recipe. I'll share it with the group. I haven't heard of anyone who doesn't like Splenda, have you?
    Tree trimmers here again today........now that there's so much more light, it shows just how grungy my windows really are! I have new windows which tilt out, which is great, but then I put up plantation shutters, and they can't tilt because of the shutter hinges...........I'm such an idiot about stuff like that.........never even gave it a thought!
    Did I tell youall about my new breakfast menu? I've discovered Eggbeaters! I'm not an egg person, so kind of blew them off. One day last week I scrambled one and made an English muffin sandwich out of it..........delish!
    Off to watch the Solheim cup for awhile. The tournament was played here several years ago, and I worked as a volunteer. What fun! And when you see Laura Davies wind up and hit that ball, it truly is amazing.
    Happy Friday to all, and a great weekend as well.
    Bubs
  • Weigh Day
    GOOD EVENING MAGNOLIAS

I took the week off: Totally ignored Thin Within , didn't drink my water, didn't write what I ate didn't stay within my points range - just ate what I wanted and enjoyed every bite. Now I am back on track and ready to buckle down once more. The Iron Monster said I am up 6.8. Yep that is what he said.

I plan on taking a week off every 6 months ~ it is worth it to me.
  • Ooh Maggie1 You are braver than I! I'm afraid I wouldn't get back on track after a week. That being said, I play around with the program all the time, although I'm usually below my points range, which isn't good either. Have to take Jimmy around the block and get ready for WW class.
    I was beginnning to think youall had switched to another site and weren't telling me Glad to know at least two of us are alive.

Tomorrow's hump day!
    Bubs
  • hi everyone. Sorry it's been awhile since I poked my head in. Things are hectic. I just wanted to say hi. The scales are still the same. That's about to make me cry because I just don't know what else to do.

Anyway, I'm headed to work... will come back later!

Seren
  • Humpday
    GOOD MORNING MAGNOLIAS

It is a good morning here in the mountains. HOT it is still and we are starting into Autumn. We are in the worst drought ever ~ even more than in the 20's and I surely don't remember them. This is the 13th day in which I took Cowboy into the hospital for his antibiotic drip. We will find out by Friday if they are going to continue them after that. His Cat scan results from Monday may well tell that tale if he is ready to get off of them or not. We surely want him to have those in his veins as long as it takes so as to prevent any setback. He is still uncomfortable especially in the morning - the retching thing and it is difficult to sleep some times because of his side pain.

I squeeked through my 18 point day yesterday and am now on a 24 point one. This first week back after my week off isn't easy by a long shot and am going very slow.

BUBBLES how did you do at WW last evening? Jimmy is so fortunate to have you to take him around the block like that. Does you good too.

SEREN Howdy there ~ good to see you once again. Hon, have you tried varying your points each day? Like high one day and very low the next and so on through the week? Doing that shakes up your metabolizm and doesn't let your body think you are trying to starve it. It may help you to budge that scale if you give it a try. I wish you the best. :

Howdy to JEAN, COOKIE, LORRAINE, GLORIA, BRENDA this day. Hope you are all having a nice week. Come back now and let us know... :hypno: you are coming back now, very soon. :hypno2:
  • Hello Everyone.... Yes Maggie that last little comment did it for me. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Well things have been going, no weight losses to brag about and small ups and downs. I just keep working at it and I know I will again get it under control.

It's been two years since I joined I really should be so very close to goal right now but I haven't given up so I will be grateful for that.

My cruise is booked for February 16th, 7 days, Carnival, Western Carribean with a day in New Orleans and a short cruise of the Mississippi. That will put us on Grand Caymen on our 25th anniversary. Joe and I are really looking forward to it.

Hope things finally get back to normal for Cowboy Maggie, I'm sure it's been a long haul for both of you. Maggie good to hear your back on track, I'm glad you enjoyed last week, that is half the battle... might as well enjoy it than feel quilty.

To the rest of the gang, HAVE A GREAT DAY.