Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:13 PM   #16  
One step at a time

S/C/G: 183/136.2/125-130

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Oh, the "calories in vs. calories out MYTH" pushes my buttons! It's so not a myth and has played a part in how I got so fat!! I wish someone had told me it's NOT a myth a long time ago!

I grew up with the low-fat dieting craze...and I got fatter.

I tried other fabulous methods of eating certain foods in magic combinations...and I got fatter.

Calorie counting, however, works! Like Robin, I've had to tweak it. I've had to learn about insulin resistance and adjust accordingly. Now I'm learning about cholesterol and am adjusting to meet those needs. But it's still about how many calories I am eating.

The only thing about calories in vs. calories out that I do NOT believe is that it doesn't matter what those calories are. Some say that though it's not exactly nutritious, you CAN lose weight on 1200 calories of pudding. I just don't think that's possible.
Why not?

The body would adjust, and since it wouldn't be getting adequate nutrients, the metabolism would slow down. While energy needs may be met (calories), building blocks (proteins) and minerals and vitamin needs would not be.

All food is made up of the same components of organic molecules. A protein molecule from a piece of lean chicken breast is utilized the exact same way a protein molecule from a bit of pudding is. Same molecular structure, same biochemical pathways, resulting in the same amount of energy. That energy will be burned the same way no matter what the source, if it's not burned, it will be stored the same way. This goes for a molecule of sugar from an M&M versus a molecule of sugar from an apple. Or a molecule of fat from an avocado versus a Big Mac. Or a carbohydrate molecule from a french fry versus a corn kernal.

It's not a mysterious process. A calorie isn't a mystical term. It's a precise measured unit of energy. For a body to gain weight, as in create fat deposits, from 1200cal of pudding as opposed to losing weight on 1200 calories of whole unprocessed healthy foods, violates the laws of physics. It suggests that MORE fat deposits/energy is coming from the same amount of energy in.

You could eat a small bowl of 1200 calories of lard everyday and lose weight. You'd just be horrendously malnourished.
mkendrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #17  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

No one ever told my body any of that. It thinks sugar should stay in the blood stream and then that sugar should be stored as fat, even if the source of that sugar is from an APPLE.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM   #18  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Eliana!

Hey Beach Patrol! I love Dr. Schwarzbein and the book you're talking about. It's how I discovered that overeating carbs, not fats, are the culprit in high cholesterol. I followed her principles for quite a stretch some years ago.

However... Even though I believe her principles are sound, and even though I had good success in feeling healthy and having a stable weight when following her program, it is LIKE ANYTHING ELSE. If you "forget" what you're doing, and stray into the wrong foods or the wrong amounts, then you aren't following the program any longer, and all bets are off.

I gained quite a bit of weight after I strayed away from Schwarzbein, but it was not the fault of her program. And to lose weight this most recent time, I did have to watch both calories and nutrient percentages (proteins, fats, carbs). Oh, and I had to get fit as well. That didn't mean exercise like a maniac, but it did mean getting off my sedentary butt 5 or 6 times a week.

Hope you're doing well!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:46 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 211/200/140

Height: 5'4"

I've been following a whole foods "diet" for a few months now. At first, I learned that I needed to pay attention to how many nuts I was eating. I was eating too many raw almonds and realized that this was NOT helping me.
I've been eating a ton of fresh fruits and vegetables. No fast-food, and no processed foods. It's the first time that a "diet" plan has made me feel better physically even though the weight loss isn't yet huge. I've noticed that now if I have fast-food it makes me feel aweful, so I choose to stay away. It's helped a lot.

I guess the point is that a whole foods lifestyle is definitely worth it. The first few days/week may be hard but it's totally worth it. You'll feel better and be healthier which is what we all really want in the end. I haven't been exercising alot lately but have lost 11 pounds in the last 6 weeks. It doesn't seem like much but for me, weight loss has been very difficult. So I'm happy with the way this kind of lifestlye works for me.

Another thing that I've learned from a whole foods nutritionist that I've met with is that when you eat a carb, you should also eat a protein. An example given to me was to eat nuts when you eat a fruit. It helps to balance your blood sugar levels and keeps them consistent through the day. It also helps you feel more full.

Last edited by cjdeluca; 04-28-2010 at 05:47 PM.
cjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 211/200/140

Height: 5'4"

I forgot to mention that one book that I read that got me to even think about a raw food diet is The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. I found the book to be informtative and interesting. I couldn't go completely "raw" so I ended up using info and this book and other info that I've gained over time to start with my whole foods lifestlye that includes lots of raw veggies and fruit. Hope this helps someone.

I've also read Green Smoothie Revolution by Victoria Boutenko and while I found it helpful and informative I realized that green smoothies were not my thing. If you like them, then hey, go for it, it's really healthy!

Last edited by cjdeluca; 04-28-2010 at 07:38 PM.
cjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 150/130/125

Height: 5'4" 42 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by sf40 View Post
lots of fresh veggies and fruits, some lean meats, some whole grains, good fats like almonds and avocados, some treats here and there, very little processed foods, though some canned foods such as tomatoes and beans. I am very happy with what I am doing and believe I can stick with it as a lifestyle.
That is what I am doing. I had a great success to maintain weight that way for few years and didn’t exercise (I was walking every day though).

Have to tell you, that it is a great plan to maintain weight BUT to lose weight there is has to be more exercise.

For a month I lost only 1 lb with eating healthy, portion control, listening my body for “I am hungry” / “I am full” signals and 7 hours/week of walking. I believe I can continue doing just that and lose 1 lb per month, but I have no patience for that, so I have to go back to fitness club and exercise to speed up my weight loss.
onthedietagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:07 PM   #22  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Hey Beach Patrol!
HEY JayEll!!!!!! Hope you're doing OK!!!!

Quote:
I love Dr. Schwarzbein and the book you're talking about. It's how I discovered that overeating carbs, not fats, are the culprit in high cholesterol. I followed her principles for quite a stretch some years ago.
I have successfully lowered my cholesterol and my triglycerides and I'm feeling a bit better (energy wise) but I STILL haven't lost a single ounce! NO! -not one! It's so damn frustrating.

I've been exercising and watching portion size & calorie counting & eating "cleaner", etc. but it just doesn't seem to be enough. It's daunting. And I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! I've tried exercising MORE. I've tried eating MORE (if I eat any less, I will NOT be healthy). I've tried food combining, cutting out this, eating more of that, South Beach, Beck, Power90, Metabolic Research Center, blahblahblah. I've lost weight in the past - 20, 30, 40 pounds! - But NOW, now that I'm in peri-menopause, NONE of it is working FOR ME. I've been to the doctor, my health is generally GOOD. I'm just "overweight".

I've yo-yo dieted for yearssssssssss now, and I really think that Dr. Schwarzbein has a solid niche on the imbalance thing. I think I've "dieted" my body into stubbornness! - and what my body needs to do is HEAL. And I really want to HEAL.

I have no grandiose ideas of being 120 or 125 lbs. I'd LIKE to get down to 135. I'd be pretty damn content with 150 at this point, but I can't seem to get below 170, & it's been about 3 years now. And yeah, I'm really frustrated, and giving-up is not an option, so I guess I'll continue to be frustrated.

Hey, other than that - I'm doing really great!! (Cause thin isn't everything! )
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 04:15 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Patrol View Post
I've been exercising and watching portion size & calorie counting & eating "cleaner", etc. but it just doesn't seem to be enough. It's daunting. And I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong! I've tried exercising MORE. I've tried eating MORE (if I eat any less, I will NOT be healthy). I've tried food combining, cutting out this, eating more of that, South Beach, Beck, Power90, Metabolic Research Center, blahblahblah. I've lost weight in the past - 20, 30, 40 pounds! - But NOW, now that I'm in peri-menopause, NONE of it is working FOR ME. I've been to the doctor, my health is generally GOOD. I'm just "overweight".
I can so relate. My weight suddenly shot up in my mid to late 30s and all the stuff I used to do did not work any more. At age 40, I did much of what is mentioned in the paragraph above. After 10 months of very careful eating and very frequent exercise (I was unemployed and had plenty of time), I lost .... about 15 pounds and went from a tight size 14 to a loose size 12. After I started working and did not want to spend so much time exercising and obsessing about food, I gained all the weight back plus a couple of bonus pounds. The endocrinologist I consulted who guaranteed I would lose weight on his plan even dumped me because I didn't lose weight.

So a couple of years ago I just gave up on the whole weight loss thing. I started by actually giving myself permission to eat whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Yeah, I had some junk food feeding frenzies. And yeah, my weight went up even more and I felt not-so-good for a while, particularly after the frenzies. But it was weird that by giving myself permission to eat what I wanted when I wanted, the urge went away pretty quickly.

As I indicated, it has taken me two years to get to where I am now. While I've always been a pretty healthy eater, my eating has evolved to where I really do not want junk or processed food. I can honestly say that. I don't necessarily recommend this approach. It is scary ... some people gain weight, some may continue to eat poorly, etc. But I had to take the chance because what I was doing wasn't working.

I am still overweight, so I am not convinced that my approach is working now. But I am slowly losing weight, I am in a smaller clothing size, I take measurements and am shrinking. Most important, I feel better now. Will be seeing the doctor in a few months to see about blood pressure and cholesterol, which I am sure (hope) is better. But it took two years to get here.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 08:09 PM   #24  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I do the Primal Blueprint lifestyle and absolutely love it. The key are grains and sugar IMO, my diet consists of proteins,veggies,nuts,seeds,oils(fats),berries,min imal dairy. It took me years to figure this out for my body, I have been eating a so-called healthy diet for a very long time and could not lose weight, I would eat 1800-2000 and eat my oatmeal or brown rice and other healthy carbs and never drop a pound. Now I eat the same amount of calories but none of them come from grains or processed sugar and I lose weight. I'm sure everyone's body responds differently and no one way is right, but I know now what works for my body chemistry.
I hope you find what works for you.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:54 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 160/ticker/133

Height: 5'5"

I'm counting calories but eating clean too, to be honest, I'm struggling to eat enough calories eating like this. With clean, healthy food, I'm finding I would have to eat loads to actually go overboard....so really the "eating clean" theory should work since I imagine it would generally make you eat fewer calories anyway
jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:46 AM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jynx View Post
I'm counting calories but eating clean too, to be honest, I'm struggling to eat enough calories eating like this. With clean, healthy food, I'm finding I would have to eat loads to actually go overboard....so really the "eating clean" theory should work since I imagine it would generally make you eat fewer calories anyway
Haha. Let me have a free for all (no counting) with healthy foods and I will DEFINITELY show you how one can overeat them and not lose weight (& gain too). I'd have no problem doing so, none at all.

No, *for me*, I need to count/track them But we are all different. I would suppose it would be different for a 287 lb person to not overdo eating healthy foods as opposed to a 160 lb someone. But not necessarily. There are no givens.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:05 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

I gained my weight on healthy eating- nuts, olive oil, whole wheat rolls, cheese, whole organic milk, etc. It wasn't from the usual suspects at all.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote