How can you tell when you're bloated?

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • I know this may sound like a dumb question...but, hey, I really want to know. How do you know gals know when you're bloated?
  • For me, I always know when I'm retaining water because my eyelids will feel puffy. I'll also generally feel not myself. Like I feel a little blah, if that makes sense. And I notice I'll always be bloated after I eat popcorn, or drink alcohol. It happens other times, too, but those are the big ones.
    Hope this helps!
  • it's general feeling of bloat--feeling loggy when I exert myself from anything. I lose the pep in my step and even a simple walk seems like one, giant effort.

ankles swell, shoes don't fit as loosely, even retention in my fingers.
  • Ah, I thought I was the only woman in the world who didn't know! I'm not a normal woman...no mood swings, no bloating, no weight fluctuation with TOM. Sometimes I think I have weight fluctuation, but usually it's just coincidence.
  • I can tell by how my fingers fit around my wrist - if I'm bloated, they don't touch, if I'm not, they touch or I can even get a little overlap on really good days.
  • I feel... sausage-y. Fingers feel full and icky, my cheeks feel full and I just generally feel gross all over. I feel... stuffed. (hehe? but I'm serious)
  • My feet are the most reliable indicators, particularly my ankles & the tops of my feet where all the veins & tendons are visible. My ankle bones become somewhat obscured when I'm bloated. I press my thumb around them & see whether his leaves a dent & how quickly the dent disappears after the pressure is removed.
  • I know I am bloated or retaining water when my wedding ring feels a bit snug... that is my big indicator (and a great comfort when the scale reflects a "gain")... because no one can gain that much fat in their ring finger literally overnight lol...
  • I also feel it in my fingers and the backs of my hands. I can see it in my cheeks and around my eyes.
  • Quote: For me, I always know when I'm retaining water because my eyelids will feel puffy. I'll also generally feel not myself. Like I feel a little blah, if that makes sense. And I notice I'll always be bloated after I eat popcorn, or drink alcohol. It happens other times, too, but those are the big ones.
    Hope this helps!
    DITTO! My eyelids don't feel puffy - but I just feel BLAH all over and my stomach feels like its sticking it out more then normal.
    what is it about popcorn?
  • I'm revisiting your question. What do you mean by "bloated"?

I've heard "bloated" used in TV commercials, where it seems to be a polite euphemism for having gas or being constipated or otherwise having digestive issues.

When I responded to you, I took you to mean "water retention," specifically, rather than any gastrointestinal distress.

Is that what you meant?
  • My pants fit a bit snugger andI also go by how my rings are fitting. When there is no water retention my engagement ring can spin almost completely around my finger with one tap from me. When I tap and it barely moves or only goes 1/2 way then I know I am retaining....yeah I am a bit strange lol
  • Thanks! Guess this feeling I'm having is bloating! Yuck. I feel like I'm about three months pregnant and my ring is fitting tight, whereas a week ago it was so loose I thought taping it up. Saef, yes, I meant bloating as in water retention, not the gas issues. Thankfully I'm not dealing with that right now. LOL.
  • My rings become super tight. In addition, my pants feel tighter in the tummy area.
  • Quote: I can tell by how my fingers fit around my wrist - if I'm bloated, they don't touch, if I'm not, they touch or I can even get a little overlap on really good days.
    That's funny, I do the same thing! When I am bloated my wrists seem a lot larger than when I'm not. I also feel really blah.