Anyone else "not believe" when they lose weight?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Ive lost 25 and dont believe it...well i mean i believe it because i see the number on the scale but i dont feel it...and I have the exact same problem, sometimes when I weigh in less, for some stupid reason im like ok i can eat this n that because I lost! Than i'll gain it back, and be SO MAD at myself!
  • I think I think about it too much. I will put on some clothes and be like, wow these look better then they have in years. But then I look at myself in the mirror awhile later and just see all the rolls, and the huge belly. Its hard not to do negative self talk. Every pound is a reason to celebrate...its just training yourself to think that way, and I'm trying to figure it out!
  • Wow, I am so glad I am not the only one who feels crazy about this whole process I also have to do the scale dance and try it in three different positions before I believe I actually dropped another pound or two. The whole thing still feels surreal and I am constant shock that "I" can actually do this. I have seen others lose weight but I never imagined I could do this as well. I also catch myself eating a little extra after a loss which really scares me. After 45 recent pounds, 71 pounds altogether, I still frequently see a really fat person with occasional glimpses of my thinner self. It's a crazy ride, that's for sure
  • Quote: Wow, I am so glad I am not the only one who feels crazy about this whole process I also have to do the scale dance and try it in three different positions before I believe I actually dropped another pound or two.
    I can relate to that, but add an "Oh, the scale broke" in there...

"This scale is broken, I'll try again."
    Try again, and the same weight comes up.
    "I was standing crooked that time!"
    Try one more time, and the same weight comes up again.
    "Hmm..."

I fancy myself an intelligent person, but it took me an embarrassingly long time to connect pants falling off, even the ones that used to fit well, with weight loss. I still don't feel different from when I started, but I hope that by the time I'm in the low 200s I won't be able to deny the difference. I intend to dance like that crazy carrot.

Yes, you know the one. -->

I'm not a very tough person, and I haven't been trying hard. I've got it in my head that weight loss is supposed to be hard if you do it right. Maybe I feel like I haven't earned it because it has been smooth sailing so far. It's not something stressing me out, though, because I feel like I've made important changes in how and what I eat. I'll see how I feel when I reach my first mini goal, which is just 9 lbs away.
  • Quote: Maybe I feel like I haven't earned it because it has been smooth sailing so far. It's not something stressing me out, though, because I feel like I've made important changes in how and what I eat.
    You have a great thought here. I had not considered that first one, that because I don't feel like I've earned it, I don't believe the weight loss. It's true though, this process hasn't been overly hard for me, so it's hard to believe it's working. Good point!

You have another interesting point there, that though you also don't believe the scale, you aren't stressing about it. I'd hazzard a guess that most of us feel that way. I feel good, I'm proud of the changes I've made, even if I have hard time believing their working. Now that doesn't make much sense at all, does it? If I'm proud of the changes, then of course they should work! Gosh, isn't it interesting, the psychological processes that go into weight loss!
  • Quote: ...because I don't feel like I've earned it, I don't believe the weight loss. It's true though, this process hasn't been overly hard for me, so it's hard to believe it's working.
    I think it was easy to find foods that work for me, healthy things that I love to eat. If that had been a struggle, it would feel like more like progress than just eating what I like. I'm not really complaining...but I'd feel more comfortable with the weight of accountability on my conscience. (Grass is always greener, etc.) When I work more on exercise/portion control, it will feel different because those are hard for me. I'm procrastinating that stage.

If I think about it another way, I feel like I've accomplished something. I've eaten too much of a good thing, but I haven't eaten something "forbidden" or that I knew was bad for me. No cheat days and I've been hyper-vigilant about reading labels. That has to be worth a few pounds of weight loss.

Quote: Gosh, isn't it interesting, the psychological processes that go into weight loss!
    Isn't it? Sometimes it makes me think we're crazy.

(Oh, man, I'm in love with these smilies!)
  • Quote: I think I think about it too much. I will put on some clothes and be like, wow these look better then they have in years. But then I look at myself in the mirror awhile later and just see all the rolls, and the huge belly. Its hard not to do negative self talk. Every pound is a reason to celebrate...its just training yourself to think that way, and I'm trying to figure it out!
    This is something that happens to me an awful lot. Sometimes I'll have a good day where I look in the mirror and feel GREAT! I'll even say to my SO "OMG, I look so good today!"...... only to find myself all grumpy about how I look half an hour later.

I think it's because I spend too much time dissecting how I look and thinking about every little thing. Although I do think that the more weight I lose, the more time I will be in the the "OMG " stage rather than the "blah " stage.
  • It is the strangest thing, isn't it? It depends on how I catch myself. Sometimes I still wake up and feel like all 235 pounds are back. Then there are days I feel like I'm at goal!

The best reminder I have is putting back on some old pants I have. THEN I know how far I've come.
  • Ha ha! I love the fun with smileys!
    First of ten pounds! You Rock!!
    I definately can relate! It's like you chickes are magical. Even sinceI have been getting on here and posting, and posting daily weigh ins, I have been steadily losing weight! This morning I saw a two pound drop from yesterday. How is it that I could work whard for so long and barely see the scale budge, and in like a week I see three pounds? No way. I'm waiting for it to jump back up any moment. Of course I'm not changing what I'm doing! I live seeing the scale inch towards my goal. But yeah I become quite a skeptical when I see those drops though. But I'd LOVE time to show me how I shouldn't doubt
  • I loved reading through this whole thread. YAY US!!!
    Yea, I have a love/hate relationship with my scale. It's like it is alive and has an attitude! Some days it is happy, lose 1 pound! Some days it is pissy, gain 3 in water & salt!!

Just a simple "I AM DOING THIS!!!" can help me be a believer =) Yea, I talk to myself ALOT...
  • Quote: I loved reading through this whole thread. YAY US!!!
    Me too! I have to admit that when I started it, I didn't realize it would become that way. But it's like ma26 said- this place seems to be magical. To the "Three Fat Chicks," thank you a million times over!

:

May we all continue to stare in disbelief as the scale slides downwards!