3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   People noticing "something" is different... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/199780-people-noticing-something-different.html)

Shytowngal 04-19-2010 01:46 PM

People noticing "something" is different...

So, even though I've only lost 20 pounds, my clothes are fitting much better and I think I'm getting close to getting to the point where people notice. Right now they can tell something is different but can't pin point it. I get such a kick over the things that they come up with:

Two girls I know well asked me if I've been hitting the tanning bed because they said I look really tan. (I haven't been going tanning, using bronzer or anything).

Last week my boss said, "I know this is going to sound weird, but are you getting taller? You look like 3 or 4 inches taller for some reason" (obviously, no, I'm not getting taller)

Does this happen to you? Do people notice "something" is different but can't quite tell exactly what it is?

kellost 04-19-2010 02:01 PM

Way to go! Just wait, you are going to get more and more comments and compliments!

In the beginning, one thing people would ask me is "Did you get a haircut?". Or, they'd say, "I like your shirt!". It's like, they knew something was different, but weren't sure just what.

Now, it's more like "Whoa! You lost a lot of weight!". Or "You guys look great!" (My dh has lost right along with me).

Congrats on the losses so far! I know, for me, I wasn't quite ready to talk about my weight loss efforts in the beginning, probably because I was afraid of failure. So I'd let people think whatever they wanted until it became more obvious that I had lost weight. If they thought I just got a haircut, that was fine...LOL!

MelloFatto 04-19-2010 02:18 PM

Lol, every time I start to lose weight my grandma goes "I see you fallin' off!" I have no clue where she finds her choice of words.

clickit 04-20-2010 01:13 AM

LOL@Mello... Whenever I lose weight my husband tells me I look taller...

Palestrina 04-20-2010 08:14 AM

As soon as I dropped 20lbs people started telling me how great my hair looks. I've never gotten so many compliments on my hair before lol. I think maybe my hair looks fuller because my face has shrunk a bit from losing weight. Go figure.

cehrriins 04-20-2010 09:17 AM

Congrats on your weight loss! I've heard it said that after you lose the first 10% of your original weight, people will start to notice. Once I lost 30 lbs, I started getting the odd are-you-taller-type compliments. I also remember Weight Watchers used to advertise with "The 10% Difference".

Oddly enough, when I weigh less I do tend to feel taller. Weird.

lizzybeth81 04-20-2010 06:29 PM

I'm a middle school teacher, and my students say this to me all the time. I don't know if they know I lost weight and just don't want to ask, or if they really can't tell (I've lost about 60 pounds, they should be able to tell). It means you're looking good though! Keep up the good work!

CarbsAreEvil 04-20-2010 07:18 PM

No, it's been so long since most of my family saw me, they automatically new I had lost weight. This weekend I just got a bunch of compliments, someone actually said I looked like a barbie :-) That made me feel good.

juliastl27 04-20-2010 09:17 PM

same here on the hair. everywhere i went, did you get a haircut? i guess when people know somethings different they just go for the most obvious. lol.

rasta4life 04-20-2010 09:27 PM

Congrats on the weight loss! I hate the famous, " Your face looks smaller". I want to scream, " IT'S NOT MY FACE, IT'S MY A**.lol

Brit 04-20-2010 11:01 PM

yes! omg..EVERYONE ask did i get lighter lol..does weight loss and complexion play a part w/each other?

angelskeep 04-20-2010 11:23 PM

Yes, according to my nail tech, my skin looks great now. LOL!

Barb

Getting Right 04-20-2010 11:45 PM

I just hit 20lbs lost and I'm getting " Oh my God! You lost sooo much weight!" and I'm like " I only lost 20lbs!" I'm mean, damn. I know I was a a big girl but you would think I lost 100lbs based on their reactions!

MyBestYear 04-21-2010 08:24 AM

LoL @ some of the responses. People will ask if I've lost weight but they say it in this hushed tone almost like it is something scandalous or like they are embarrassed to ask.

Meanwhile, I would wear it on a t-shirt if it didn't look like I was fishing for compliments --> YES, I've LOST WEIGHT lol jk

BeachBreeze2010 04-21-2010 08:53 AM

Yeah, about 10lbs in, I cut my hair pretty drastically (I needed something that would allow me to exercise and not need an hour to style afterwards). Now, I get soooo many comments/compliments on my hair. I think at first people really thought that was the difference they noticed. Now, I think it's a bit of a euphimism for "I can tell you've lost weight, but I don't want to risk being wrong and hurt your feelings so I will compliment your hair instead." In another 20lbs, they will have to say something weight related, right?? At that point, it's gotta be really obvious.

AnnieDrews 04-21-2010 10:09 AM

I love it!! Just this morning, a coworker told me she had to wait until I turned around to see my face to recognize me. She was walking in behind me and wasn't sure who I was! Really brightened my day.

Another coworker complimented me on my scrubs. I had bought them over 2 years ago and had outgrown them and told her....she said "Go you!"....yep....Go Me!!!

BillBlueEyes 04-21-2010 12:19 PM

More Hair!!!!

The first time my brother saw me fifty pounds lighter he said with excitement, "You've got more hair!"

LOL, well, no, but it was an age-appropriate compliment while he tried to figure out what was really different.

MsWannaBSlim 04-21-2010 01:03 PM

20 lbs is a lot of weight so you should be swimming in those compliments! That's so great and isn't that ultimately what we are striving for? (to generally, overall, look and feel better?). I totally agree with people saying - "something has changed...what is it?" I've lost about 27 lbs and most people I think get it but I also think they don't want to risk offending me. In the end, as long as I'm getting those second looks from people lol Anyway, congrats!!

Everlasting 05-31-2010 12:24 AM

I'm getting a lot of hair compliments lately too. I haven't cut my hair in over 2 years and I most often wear it in braids of some sort. It's hilarious.

Nobody has mentioned my weight loss though with the exception of one of my coworkers who I only see once every 2 months or so, who always tells me I'm "wasting away" and that I don't look like a little girl anymore.

Cglasscock1 05-31-2010 12:33 AM

What a great compliment! Way to go!

DhaniCauldwell 05-31-2010 11:45 AM

When I lost a bunch of weight a few years ago everyone told me I must have grown a few inches (I didn't). People are so funny sometimes. They never want to ask if you've lost weight (I love it when people ask me, lol!)

:queen: Dhani :queen:

sammybaby1289 05-31-2010 04:53 PM

I thought my mom was just being weird when she asked me if i was getting taller.

maryea 05-31-2010 04:58 PM

Once I lost 33 1/2 lbs...the most I've ever lost quickly ...took me about 2 1/2 mo I think...anyway, the first thing my son and dil noticed was that my eyes looked bigger! Guess I had little pig eyes before maybe??!! Then they realized I'd lost weight eventually, but they first talked about my eyes looking different. My dil said she would never ask if someone had lost weight....apparently thought it would be offending...I told her I would love it if someone ask me that! :-)

newleaf123 05-31-2010 06:39 PM

I'm with everyone else; my hair apparently looks better than it has in years! LOL

alyssarof2012 05-31-2010 06:46 PM

Haha "Are you getting taller?" lol I got that one once. (Before I regained all the weight.)

Like 2 people actually said I looked skinnier. But my brain goes through this stupid process, where if someone pays me a compliment, I can ease off of my healthy living ways, thus why I am back where I started and then some.

Cali Doll 05-31-2010 06:58 PM

LOL! I love the "taller" comment. :-) I'd gotten that a few times before everyone knew I was losing weight...well, a few times after everyone knew, too.

Even my mom asked me if I had gotten taller!

Congrats on the co-worker's comment, OP. I bet you did feel fantastic. :-)))

Serbrider 05-31-2010 07:06 PM

Haha... I kind of hope I don't get the "taller" comment. :p I'm already 5'11" and towering almost everyone I know... ;)

However... nicer hair... hmm... maybe. I'll have to see what I end up with at the end of the summer. :D (since I won't be seeing family and friends until then)

spaghetticat 05-31-2010 08:35 PM

Yes, i just posted a NSV about it, hehe :)