3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Sounds like a challenge to me . . . (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/199552-sounds-like-challenge-me.html)

MamaP 04-16-2010 02:32 PM

Sounds like a challenge to me . . .

A couple of other ladies and I were talking in the breakroom about sizes and how different things fit - vanity sizing for example. We all said we don't agree with vanity sizing - just because you call it by a different number doesn't make you feel any better. I still know I'm the size that I am. Then I said "I would love to be a size 12, heck, I'll be thrilled when I don't have to buy clothes with a W in the size." One of the other women sarcastically said, "I hate to tell you this, but you're over the age of 25 and you've had children, you will always have to buy clothes with a W in the size cause there ain't no way the other ones will ever fit." Really? I wanted to say "I hate to tell you this, but I've already got clothes that I'm currently wearing that are misses sizes and not plus sizes." It was almost like she was telling me what I'm doing is a waste of time. Maybe she feels that way because a few years ago she lost a bunch of weight but never lost all she needed to lose. She just stopped. She's put some, not all, of it back on. She carries most of her weight in her middle, so I'm sure it makes it more difficult to find clothes that fit. She has the "pregnant-look" thing going on.

She's generally a nice person, but her comment really bugged me. I had to walk away.

L R K 04-16-2010 02:37 PM

She is probably just jealous of your success in losing weight. I know comments like that can be frustrating but just try to ignore it and remember that you are doing great!

Eliana 04-16-2010 02:44 PM

Ah, definitely a challenge! "Them's fightin' words!" LOL! That would spur me on, that's for sure, which is not a bad thing.

I'm fortunate not to have that pregnant belly, but that probably is making her perspective skewed.

sprklemajik 04-16-2010 03:15 PM

I think there's a whooooole lot of women on here that would disagree. I think there's a whole lot of women here that would tell you that you could wear juniors sizes too if you so chose. :) I've not had any children as of yet, but I'm already able to wear sizes that aren't W's. You can do it!

SCraver 04-16-2010 03:28 PM

I think what she said was more of a reflection on how she feels about herself and was probably not really meant at you. (Does that make sense?) It sounds like she is using having babies as the ok or as an excuse to stay in 'W' sizes.

At my highest weight, I am pretty sure I was pushing 250. Even at that weight, I was not wearnig a "w" size. Everyone is shaped and proportioned different. I am tall - so I have a lot of room to spread my fat all over. And my son was born via c-section. My tummy will never EVER be smooth and flat... ever... again. ~sigh~ And I plan to have one more child eventually.

caryesings 04-16-2010 03:33 PM

I wonder if she was getting Misses vs. Juniors confused. Surely she's noticed that W sizes don't go any lower than 18...

InControl2Day 04-16-2010 03:45 PM

It is great that you are taking her comment and turning into motivation. This is exactly what drives me! I just had a trip back to college visiting some friends. I told my friends I still wanted to lose and some told me I couldn't do it because I have a curvy figure.. I would love to prove them wrong!

:D let's SHOW THEM!

kaplods 04-16-2010 03:53 PM

People say all sorts of stuff that makes no sense. I think there's a tendency to take weight-related stupid more seriously than other stupid. My husband has a friend who believes he has "secret knowledge" that the government would kill him over if they knew he knew (he's chronically unemployed, and has no college degree, and when he does work it's manual labor or bartending - the idea that he could have come by "secret knowledge" is laughable).

I like talking about weight loss, and I'm sure some of my ideas seem stupid to other people. I know some of their ideas seem very stupid to me - but so what? People have all sorts of stupid ideas about science, religion, politics, economics, and virtually every other topic under the sun.

I find differences of opinion interesting (at best), but they don't really impact my beliefs and actions much. I know what I believe and what I know, so "stupid" doesn't really bother me - it just seems silly (especially when I point out the silliness and they still cling to their silly belief - I may seem just as silly to the people with a differing opinion).

MyBestYear 04-16-2010 04:20 PM

I go with she may have confused juniors with misses -- she may *think* the W means woman as in... ladies, misses and thought you meant you wanted to be in juniors sizes --

Or, she could have been making an insensitive comment reflecting how she truly feels about herself. I think it has nothing to do with you at all, but I am sorry it bugged you anyway :(

Using it as motivation is definitely the way to go, short of forgetting the comment all together. It was about her insecurities, not a reflection of you!

MamaP 04-16-2010 04:57 PM

I know she knows what the W stands for because she wears them herself. I do think though that she was probably trying to base her opinion of what I can accomplish on what she was able to accomplish for herself - which was a lot of lost weight and she still is in women's sizes. I do believe she meant plus sizes with her first comment because when I said " well I have some regular misses sizes that I'm already wearing" she said, "well, you won't be able to get to junior sizes."

I am not gonna let it bother me, but it does amaze me how easy it is for people to make statements like this. Like Kaplods said, "stupid doesn't really bother me." What bothers me is when "stupid" thinks what they have to say is fact. lol

TGIF - hope everyone has a great weekend.

kaplods 04-16-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaP (Post 3251540)
Like Kaplods said, "stupid doesn't really bother me." What bothers me is when "stupid" thinks what they have to say is fact. lol

LOL, but if they didn't think it was fact - they wouldn't be stupid, now would they?

Any strong differences of opinions result only because people are pretty sure they have the facts and the other person doesn't.

Take religious beliefs, if you truly believe that all religions are equally "true" that tends to mean you don't hold very strong beliefs yourself. They're not beliefs if you don't deep, down believe that your beliefs are "more true" than any one else's.

If someone tells me that I'm stupid because I believe that grains can aggravate autoimmune disease - they're going to be annoyed that what I have to say, I believe is fact (and I can give them research studies and expert opinions that support my belief - but they still may believe they have all of the opposing "facts" to believe otherwise).

Even "facts" are often open to interpretation.

serendipity907 04-16-2010 05:22 PM

I have known people who have had children, and despite then losing weight to a healthy BMI and being slim, their waist/hip/bust measurements etc were never as small as before. Maybe she meant something more along those lines, just well, exaggerated?

CarbsAreEvil 04-16-2010 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MamaP (Post 3251540)
I know she knows what the W stands for because she wears them herself. I do think though that she was probably trying to base her opinion of what I can accomplish on what she was able to accomplish for herself - which was a lot of lost weight and she still is in women's sizes. I do believe she meant plus sizes with her first comment because when I said " well I have some regular misses sizes that I'm already wearing" she said, "well, you won't be able to get to junior sizes."

I am not gonna let it bother me, but it does amaze me how easy it is for people to make statements like this. Like Kaplods said, "stupid doesn't really bother me." What bothers me is when "stupid" thinks what they have to say is fact. lol

TGIF - hope everyone has a great weekend.

Eww, that is so ugly. I was hoping she was just confused as well but hearing those other comments, probably not. I know I used to wear a 22 W but I had no idea it meant plus.

Well take that as a challenge and show her.